nVidia Shield TV "tube" version (2019)
(2020-04-23, 23:20)Hitcher Wrote: Does your TV switch to HDR mode?

Yeah tv definately switched to HDR mode. I have a new Samsung Q80T. I have tested the same movie that I own through the Apple TV and it is so much more brighter, etc. I did make sure that "enhanced" HDMI port was all on. I would have though a 50gb 4k remux would look better than the Apple TV stream.
Perhaps you just need to calibrate your TV when using an HDR signal from the Shield.
(2020-04-24, 08:37)Hitcher Wrote: Perhaps you just need to calibrate your TV when using an HDR signal from the Shield.

Yes - on lots of TVs have separate settings for SDR and HDR sources on each input (so if you have a TV with 4 HDMI inputs, you have to calibrate/correctly adjust 8 times, though sometimes you only get a sub-set of settings in HDR mode)

Also Dolby Vision can inhibit a lot of settings and put your TV into a DV-approved setup.
Hi everyone.

I want to replace my MiBox 3 which struggles a bit with huge files (4k HDR Bluray Remux, ~80000 kbps) with Kodi.

Should I consider the Tube version, the Pro version or something else?

Thanks for your help.
(2020-04-27, 12:15)Messatsu Wrote: Hi everyone.

I want to replace my MiBox 3 which struggles a bit with huge files (4k HDR Bluray Remux, ~80000 kbps) with Kodi.

Thanks for your help.

-->

(2020-04-16, 11:06)shrugg1e Wrote: Is money a big factor?

In germany you have to pay 20€ more to get the Apple TV 4K instead of shield tv.

Install MrMC (KODI Fork) or use the Plex App on Apple TV 4K and you will be happy:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219

No struggles, no wrong framerate etc.
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
(2020-04-27, 13:19)shrugg1e Wrote:
(2020-04-27, 12:15)Messatsu Wrote: Hi everyone.

Thanks for your help.

-->
(2020-04-16, 11:06)shrugg1e Wrote: Is money a big factor?

In germany you have to pay 20€ more to get the Apple TV 4K instead of shield tv.

Install MrMC (KODI Fork) or use the Plex App on Apple TV 4K and you will be happy:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219

No struggles, no wrong framerate etc. 

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately all my setup is Android based so I'm looking for an Android box.
Do you see any difference between your Apple TV 4K and your Mibox 3, specially with huge files?
Compared to the Mibox is the Apple TV 4K a whole new Mediaplayer Level.
This is not surprising if you look at the Price.

If you want to stay at Android i believe that the new Shield TV would be a good choice (with all his disadvantages, like missing framerate switch).
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
(2020-04-27, 15:02)shrugg1e Wrote: Compared to the Mibox is the Apple TV 4K a whole new Mediaplayer Level.
This is not surprising if you look at the Price.

If you want to stay at Android i believe that the new Shield TV would be a good choice (with all his disadvantages, like missing framerate switch).
I think that the framerate switch is avalaible (and working) in beta. But my point is that I don't know if the "Tube" version could fit with my needs (vs the Pro version).
Normally it should be OK but I was looking for a confirmation Smile
(2020-04-27, 12:15)Messatsu Wrote: 4k HDR Bluray Remux, ~80000 kbps

The 'tube' will probably crash Kodi trying to play those files.
(2020-04-28, 12:16)Hitcher Wrote:

Really ? :O So I should take an Nvidia Shield Pro ?
(2020-04-28, 12:16)Hitcher Wrote:

Since there is a bullet point in the Shield Experience Upgrade 9.0 release notes from here, stating that explicitly on the base Model (speak Tube version) playback issue with 4K + HDR videos in Plex has been fixed, i was wondering if that is a general fix, so playback of such files could maybe work now within Kodi too.

Is there someone with the base Model who can test playback with a file like that within Kodi, now with the Experience Upgrade 9.0?

I think that, if it is working now, the tube version of the Shield would be perfectly fine for a lot of people not needing the Pro Version.

Thanks for your support here

vlaves
Judging from a couple of reactions further down on the Nvidia page you linked, things are not yet fixed, including with the Tube version. See https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...2/3208291/
(2022-02-02, 12:23)Klojum Wrote: Judging from a couple of reactions further down on the Nvidia page you linked, things are not yet fixed, including with the Tube version. See https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...2/3208291/
Thanks for the quick reply and good finding, yeah seems like the Tube is not the way to go. Will go probably then for a Amazon Cube or the Telekom MagentaTV One (which has 4GB RAM btw. but need to investigate a bit more regarding AFR and so on)...
Android on the Tube is only 32bit so is less able to cope with media that has high memory demands such a 4K, so it best avoided if you wish to watch anything above normal 1080p HD. The Pro version uses a 64 bit Android OS so is much better suited for high demand mendia playback.
(2022-02-02, 14:05)jjd-uk Wrote: Android on the Tube is only 32bit so is less able to cope with media that has high memory demands such a 4K, so it best avoided if you wish to watch anything above normal 1080p HD. The Pro version uses a 64 bit Android OS so is much better suited for high demand mendia playback.

Does this mean that the AFTV Cube is not capable of playing such a file too as it is runing in 32bit mode too?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV "tube" version (2019)0