• 31(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
Nah. It stutters like crazy making it unwatchable.
Processor not capable?  

Is the file very very high bitrate? 
Do you have ethernet or wifi?

If you tell me the name I can test on mine (I have hub and ethernet)
DM me if you are concerned about sharing title name.
Not sure what causes it but it's a known issue. It happens on _every_ 4k HDR video on a non-4k TV. Just try any 4k HDR file and you will see. I'm using WiFi but that's not the issue here.
Hello, can you please help me how to set up the Kodi on an external usb drive? When I connect a usb external drive as an internal and move the Kodi to it, there is an application on it, but the data library is still stored on the original 4GB storage. How do I change it? I found instructions on where to set the path to the external drive in xbmc_env.properties, but I don't see my USB external drive at all, for example in the X-explore application or via adblink, because it looks like an internal but I don't have access to it at all. I'm confused because I don't know what to do with it anymore and what's the right course of action. Thank you very much.
Do not waste your time. I spent days trying this with no luck.   The latest chromecast just doesn't like doing it.
(2022-03-03, 13:22)quacked Wrote: Not sure what causes it but it's a known issue. It happens on _every_ 4k HDR video on a non-4k TV. Just try any 4k HDR file and you will see. I'm using WiFi but that's not the issue here.

I thought I'd test but yeah, you're right - it absoloutely is unusable.
I have a 1080p TV, no HDR and every 4k HDR test file I just tried, major issues.

Dunno if it's the processor on the Chromecast (HuhHuhHuh?) or the code in Kodi not stripping HDR as it plays?

Do "normal" 4k movies work?
(2022-03-03, 23:41)AbRASiON Wrote: Do not waste your time. I spent days trying this with no luck.   The latest chromecast just doesn't like doing it.

well it's not a solution for me, because I have a big library and I'm constantly running out of space Sad
(2022-03-04, 01:36)Kravatak76 Wrote:
(2022-03-03, 23:41)AbRASiON Wrote: Do not waste your time. I spent days trying this with no luck.   The latest chromecast just doesn't like doing it.

well it's not a solution for me, because I have a big library and I'm constantly running out of space
Sad

I am looking into a solution of storing the thumbnails via path substitution on my NAS - check my post history.    It can be done.  It's a little fiddly but it should work - I'll try it out in the next month or so.
(2022-03-03, 23:37)Kravatak76 Wrote: Hello, can you please help me how to set up the Kodi on an external usb drive? When I connect a usb external drive as an internal and move the Kodi to it, there is an application on it, but the data library is still stored on the original 4GB storage. How do I change it? I found instructions on where to set the path to the external drive in xbmc_env.properties, but I don't see my USB external drive at all, for example in the X-explore application or via adblink, because it looks like an internal but I don't have access to it at all. I'm confused because I don't know what to do with it anymore and what's the right course of action. Thank you very much.
Set it up as an external drive, format it to FAT32 < 1.4 TB, and before you start Kodi for the first time, give Kodi Storage Permissions in the Android app settings. I found that giving it permissions when Kodi asked for them resulted in Kodi creating new libraries in the usual internal storage location, which is no good. I moved my .kodi folder into the folder given below; you might be able to use an alternate, simpler path as in the wiki, but I found this convenient as it required less editing of some adb commands I keep in OneNote. Replace the xxxx-xxxx with whatever your drive identifier is. I formatted the drive on my PC, connected it to my CCwGTV, so that it would create the Android folders, and then I either used adb to move the folder or brought the drive back to my PC and restored from a backup, which is a lot faster than using adb for the SSD I'm using for a separate installation on my Sony TV. For a USB stick, it may not matter much. So I've done this twice, once for my CCwGTV and also for my Sony TV. It works.

Code:
xbmc.data=/storage/xxxx-xxxx/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files
(2022-03-04, 13:46)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-03-03, 23:37)Kravatak76 Wrote: Hello, can you please help me how to set up the Kodi on an external usb drive? When I connect a usb external drive as an internal and move the Kodi to it, there is an application on it, but the data library is still stored on the original 4GB storage. How do I change it? I found instructions on where to set the path to the external drive in xbmc_env.properties, but I don't see my USB external drive at all, for example in the X-explore application or via adblink, because it looks like an internal but I don't have access to it at all. I'm confused because I don't know what to do with it anymore and what's the right course of action. Thank you very much.
Set it up as an external drive, format it to FAT32 < 1.4 TB, and before you start Kodi for the first time, give Kodi Storage Permissions in the Android app settings. I found that giving it permissions when Kodi asked for them resulted in Kodi creating new libraries in the usual internal storage location, which is no good. I moved my .kodi folder into the folder given below; you might be able to use an alternate, simpler path as in the wiki, but I found this convenient as it required less editing of some adb commands I keep in OneNote. Replace the xxxx-xxxx with whatever your drive identifier is. I formatted the drive on my PC, connected it to my CCwGTV, so that it would create the Android folders, and then I either used adb to move the folder or brought the drive back to my PC and restored from a backup, which is a lot faster than using adb for the SSD I'm using for a separate installation on my Sony TV. For a USB stick, it may not matter much. So I've done this twice, once for my CCwGTV and also for my Sony TV. It works.

Code:
Thank you. But what does it mean to set up as an external drive on CCwGTV? can you please write me what steps i should take? so if I have to prepare the USB drive first, then install Kodi, then grant authorization and then run Kodi, then copy the data and finally configure the new path? Thank you.
(2022-03-04, 16:26)Kravatak76 Wrote: Thank you. But what does it mean to set up as an external drive on CCwGTV? can you please write me what steps i should take? so if I have to prepare the USB drive first, then install Kodi, then grant authorization and then run Kodi, then copy the data and finally configure the new path? Thank you.
Kodi can be installed first. The app is going to be on internal storage. "Setting up as an external drive" means I formatted the drives on my PC, and I don't remember doing anything in Android except NOT setting them up as internal storage. What you don't want to do is format as internal storage inside Android. After exiting Kodi, setting up xmbc_env.properties, and moving your existing .kodi folder to the external drive, before starting Kodi the next time, that's when you want to go into Android settings and give it storage permissions. Then when you run Kodi, it should use the data on the external drive.
(2022-03-04, 17:07)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-03-04, 16:26)Kravatak76 Wrote: Thank you. But what does it mean to set up as an external drive on CCwGTV? can you please write me what steps i should take? so if I have to prepare the USB drive first, then install Kodi, then grant authorization and then run Kodi, then copy the data and finally configure the new path? Thank you.
Kodi can be installed first. The app is going to be on internal storage. "Setting up as an external drive" means I formatted the drives on my PC, and I don't remember doing anything in Android except NOT setting them up as internal storage. What you don't want to do is format as internal storage inside Android. After exiting Kodi, setting up xmbc_env.properties, and moving your existing .kodi folder to the external drive, before starting Kodi the next time, that's when you want to go into Android settings and give it storage permissions. Then when you run Kodi, it should use the data on the external drive.
great, it works. thank you very much!  so now when I update the library, everything will be stored in external storage? The last problem I discovered is that I can't see the external drive when I want to add a new file source for the video library so I cant add a specific folder as a new source. On the contrary, a whole external disk was added as a source, but I am not interested in it. So far, I've solved this by finding the specific folder on the external disk and setting it as a TV Show type to add to the library, but maybe that's exactly the right solution.
(2022-03-04, 21:41)Kravatak76 Wrote: great, it works. thank you very much!  so now when I update the library, everything will be stored in external storage?

Yep. You can verify it's no longer using internal storage by running the following command:

Code:
adb shell ls -la /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi
ls: /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi: No such file or directory
When you change the path to wherever it is on your external drive, it should list the contents of .kodi.
ETA: You can also turn on debug logging, and the location of the logfile will be displayed in the upper left.
Quote:The last problem I discovered is that I can't see the external drive when I want to add a new file source for the video library so I cant add a specific folder as a new source. On the contrary, a whole external disk was added as a source, but I am not interested in it. So far, I've solved this by finding the specific folder on the external disk and setting it as a TV Show type to add to the library, but maybe that's exactly the right solution.

That's how it works. From memory, I created a source called "TV", and I added several directories on my NAS containing TV shows to it. Then I set the source type to "TV shows".
(2022-03-04, 13:46)crawfish Wrote:

Code:

I tried this at least a dozen times and it never worked for me.
The problem was the naming of the USB device.
Also Kodi crashes on the chromecast when updating the library.   The APK for Android is buggy, vs PC or LibreElec.

I need to enable debug logging and find the library item I have in my library, causing it to fail every scan.
(2022-03-05, 03:18)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-03-04, 21:41)Kravatak76 Wrote: great, it works. thank you very much!  so now when I update the library, everything will be stored in external storage?

Yep. You can verify it's no longer using internal storage by running the following command:

Code:
adb shell ls -la /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi
ls: /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi: No such file or directory
When you change the path to wherever it is on your external drive, it should list the contents of .kodi.
ETA: You can also turn on debug logging, and the location of the logfile will be displayed in the upper left.
Quote:The last problem I discovered is that I can't see the external drive when I want to add a new file source for the video library so I cant add a specific folder as a new source. On the contrary, a whole external disk was added as a source, but I am not interested in it. So far, I've solved this by finding the specific folder on the external disk and setting it as a TV Show type to add to the library, but maybe that's exactly the right solution.

That's how it works. From memory, I created a source called "TV", and I added several directories on my NAS containing TV shows to it. Then I set the source type to "TV shows".
The naming convention of Android folders is stupid.
I think it calls local content "SDCard" even without an external device.
How do you adb shell the device, remotely? did you enable SSH? or plug the CCast into a PC?
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0