Solved Kodi v19 on Nvidia Shield TV Pro auto-closing
(2022-03-08, 11:27)hermann_x5 Wrote:
(2022-02-13, 05:12)Cory1980 Wrote: It has a strange behavior about it... if I reboot the Shield TV and start up Kodi, it will auto close within a few seconds. After reopening, it will take a bit longer to auto close. It will do this a handful of times and progressively last longer each time until it stays on for a while and may last about 3 or so hours before auto closing again. And once the Shield TV is rebooted, it will repeat the same behavior and auto close immediately again. 

Unfortunately I had not read your thread before. But this is EXACTLY the behaviour of mine. At least I know now, that I am not crazy !
This is only happening on my 2 ShieldTV devices that I updated Kodi to version 19.xx. I've turned off auto updates my other 2 ShieldTV devices so that they're still on v18.9 and are not having this issue. Hopefully my log can help find an answer soon.
Use a file manager app and backup your userdata folder (eg rename it userdata_bck). Then run Kodi see if it crashes/closes again.
...but wouldn't this delete Cody's database and also source pathes ?

Wouldn't this leave a "naked" Kodi that does nothing and therefore will probably not show the same behaviour ? 

In my situation this would also not work since without without the sources/passwords/mediasources Kodi is simply not doing anything.

What I will try is do delete the rest of the xml files (guisettings, decoderfilter, profiles, rssfeeds) and see if that helps...
If it doesn't crash straight away start adding sources, etc to pinpoint the cause of the crash.
(2022-03-08, 18:14)Hitcher Wrote: If it doesn't crash straight away start adding sources, etc to pinpoint the cause of the crash.

I guess I'll have to do that if it's my last resort when I've got more time.
I have access to my .kodi folder on my PC from my Nvidia Shield TV, and earlier I did try copying over different xml and even database files to my PC (for backup) and deleting them from the Shield and rebooting to test for anything problematic. While it wasn't a fresh install, I did get it to where it was a pretty "clean" slate with no settings or library showing..... and it did quickly close out.
I'm only seeing this on my 2 Shields with v19... I even have the same build loaded on my Windows 10 PC with no issue. I'm thinking there's something conflicting between Kodi v19 and the Nvidia Shield.
I really want to avoid downgrading back to v18.9.
I even did 2 fresh installs and had the same issue (on 2 different Shields) - but only on the 2019 versions. Not so far on my Shield 2017.

Are you using adapted storage (SSD or USB or SD card) ?

Somehow I suspect that it is a storage issue.

When I reset my standard Shield 2019 and reformatted the SD as adaptive storage, I have not yet seen crashes (but I did not do as extensive testing on this Shield). Whereas on the 2019 pro - where I had removed the SSD which I used as adaptive storage (and then reset the Shiedl 2 times) - I get the crashes.

For me, going back to Lea is absolute no option because I use a MariaDB database...So I am stuck and unfortunately going back to Sield 8.x is also not possible....so hopefully somebody can find out what is going on...
(2022-03-09, 10:07)hermann_x5 Wrote: I even did 2 fresh installs and had the same issue (on 2 different Shields) - but only on the 2019 versions. Not so far on my Shield 2017.

When I reset my standard Shield 2019 and reformatted the SD as adaptive storage, I have not yet seen crashes (but I did not do as extensive testing on this Shield). Whereas on the 2019 pro - where I had removed the SSD which I used as adaptive storage (and then reset the Shiedl 2 times) - I get the crashes.

For me, going back to Lea is absolute no option because I use a MariaDB database...So I am stuck and unfortunately going back to Sield 8.x is also not possible....so hopefully somebody can find out what is going on...
The 2 Shields that it's happening to me on is the 500GB Pro 2017 model and the newer 2019 Pro version with 16GB, but I have expanded storage with a Sandisk 128GB thumbdrive... the one recommended. Otherwise, all of my content is on a NAS using SMB.
(2022-03-10, 05:14)Cory1980 Wrote:
(2022-03-09, 10:07)hermann_x5 Wrote: I even did 2 fresh installs and had the same issue (on 2 different Shields) - but only on the 2019 versions. Not so far on my Shield 2017.

The 2 Shields that it's happening to me on is the 500GB Pro 2017 model and the newer 2019 Pro version with 16GB, but I have expanded storage with a Sandisk 128GB thumbdrive... the one recommended. Otherwise, all of my content is on a NAS using SMB.
I also have all my content of NAS. Nevertheless I think that Kodi uses quite a lot of storage with thumbnails etc. And I suspect that could be some of the problem. I just saw that when doing a complete reset of the Shield and having the expanded storage rebuilt, it seems to get better. But of course this is just speculation. I really would like to understand what the problem is, because quite frankly I do not want to start watching a movie not knowing if and when Kodi will just stop working Sad
Not too sure it's a storage issue... they both have plenty of available space and I believe it's 2 different storage types, 16GB flash and 500GB HDD.
Me neither, it's just speculation on my part...

@team kodi: is there anything that we can further do to help this investigation ? Unfortunately I think the logs are not really helping since the crash happens withoput an error message...Any other possibility ?
So I have some new findings recently on my auto-closing issue. To preface, I started with a fresh install of Kodi v19.3 on my newest secondary ShieldTV Pro model... I don't use this one much.

I started moving my custom files from my main SheldTV model that I use most, that I also experience this on... one file/folder at a time. Each time I would close out of Kodi, clear the cache and reboot.

My xml files checked out fine (sources, mediasources, guisettings). But once I copied over my video playlists is when the issue starts. Kodi force closes within 5-10 seconds of opening.

After deleting my video playlists, clearing Kodi's cache and rebooting... everything is fine again.

I currently have 55 playlists (Between movies, shows and music videos) that I use frequently... has there been a change in how Kodi handles playlists beginning in v19? Maybe some sort of new standard or difference in the xsp playlist file?
I did copy over all playlists... I haven't done this one by one, that would take a very long time to clear cache and reboot 55 times. However, I have tried 1 fairly simple playlist and it's fine... so there's gotta be something funny in at least one of my playlists (or multiple of similar types). Kodi v18.9 on my other ShieldTV devices (turned off auto updates on these) aren't having this issue with the same playlists. Obviously I can go through the tedious process of doing one by one, but if anyone has any insight on playlist changes as of v19, it could save me some time. And hopefully this might help other people with the same issue.

Now, I haven't scanned in my whole library from my NAS yet (except for local music videos on a thumb drive)... so at this point I can't say for sure this is the only thing causing the issue. But it's repeatable and exactly what I've been experiencing.
Wow, interesting !!

I haven't had a crash since a long time (*knock on wood*). And I also suspected Playlists since I used a *ton* of them (I use them to plan my "Weekend Views" - I know, crazy Smile).

Thinking about it, I had started the playlist thing close to the time my troubles started.

During all the resetting and reinstalling of Shields I forgot to copy back most of the playlists and I didn't experience crashes for a while. So then I thought that maybe there was a connection and made a habit out of only using a few playlists and always deleting them after not needing them anymore and since then it I haven't experience the crashes anymore...

I did not put this in the forum since it seemed too crazy to me and I did not take the time to really test it out methodically.

But if you have also seen a connection to playlists, it seems there may be something to it...
(2022-04-26, 09:58)hermann_x5 Wrote: Wow, interesting !!

I haven't had a crash since a long time (*knock on wood*). And I also suspected Playlists since I used a *ton* of them (I use them to plan my "Weekend Views" - I know, crazy Smile).

Thinking about it, I had started the playlist thing close to the time my troubles started.

During all the resetting and reinstalling of Shields I forgot to copy back most of the playlists and I didn't experience crashes for a while. So then I thought that maybe there was a connection and made a habit out of only using a few playlists and always deleting them after not needing them anymore and since then it I haven't experience the crashes anymore...

I did not put this in the forum since it seemed too crazy to me and I did not take the time to really test it out methodically.

But if you have also seen a connection to playlists, it seems there may be something to it...

Oh wow, so your issue (when you had it) has a connection to playlists too...? Yeah, I never even considered the playlists to be the problem... they seem so small and independent of the system operations.

Since typing that, I've copied over my database at this point and am still good. Next is copying over my addon stuff... but I have minimal addons, so it's really looking like something's up with a playlist/s.
You could try opening them all in a text editor (Notepad++) to see if there are any syntax errors.
(2022-04-26, 10:56)Hitcher Wrote: You could try opening them all in a text editor (Notepad++) to see if there are any syntax errors.

Yeah, I kinda figured I would have to comb through each one in the end... especially if I want to keep them all. I was just curious if there were any known differences or changes made with playlists for v19 since this wasn't happening in v18. Thank you for your responses Hitcher!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi v19 on Nvidia Shield TV Pro auto-closing0