Solved "Update Video Library" is crazy slow
Very helpful, thanks! I will try all of this and report back.
Okay, I finally got through cleaning up my sources. Thanks again for your advice, as "Update Video Library" is much faster now!

One remaining quirk is that I still see GetDirectory errors in the log file:

https://dpaste.com//HESQ83EQN

Actually, I believe none of those directories exist on my source HDDs, so I'm a bit confused what this is about.

I've run the cleanup several times, but the errors persist.

Are these being caused by some left-overs in the Kodi database?
(2022-05-07, 12:32)mrob Wrote: Actually, I believe none of those directories exist on my source HDDs, so I'm a bit confused what this is about.

I've run the cleanup several times, but the errors persist.

Are these being caused by some left-overs in the Kodi database?
Yep, they are leftovers in the Kodi database. You have had those movies/tv shows in your library previously and then deleted them, or moved them elsewhere.
Unfortunately, the leftovers are not removed with a Clean Library.
I wouldn't worry about it. All that is happening is Kodi reads the path from the database, then goes looking for it on your hard drive to scan it. The error is just saying, I looked, but I can't find it. Moving on.
You would need to drop your database and rebuild the library to clear them out. Or if you know SQL, you can clean them out manually, but I would not recommend that.

Great that it is much faster now.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I do know SQL, but maybe just enough to get myself in trouble. 😅 I'll let it go.

Thanks again.
I've a similar problem, and I'm using an FTP server in a Windows PC with many drives connected to it. I had to use FTP because I had problems with SMB: as Kodi scanned the drives, it would display an "operation not permitted" error and skip some folders. The problem goes away after I reboot the player and/or the PC. Also, the same error might also appear if I try to watch a video while the library is being updated.

There are no such problems with FTP, but I sometimes get a "playback failed" error when I try to watch a video while Kodi is scanning the library. The problem disappears when I wait a while or go back and reload the folder, or if I stop scanning. Sometimes, however, I get to watch the video, and then discover when I stop it that the scanning has stopped, with several videos not yet scanned.

To update the library completely, I have to let Kodi scan and not play anything, or use an addon to let it scan when there's no playback activity.

I checked the Windows PC and hardware, and AFAIK there are no bandwidth restrictions in the FTP server, and all of the hardware's gigabit. I did a speedtest in the PC and Android tv box and got 250 Mbps UL and DL for both.
(2022-05-17, 09:13)monkeylove Wrote: it would display an "operation not permitted" error

Browsing SMB servers/folders has been a challenge, also due to the various changes and requirements that Microsoft implemented in their versions of SMB. The error should no longer appear in Kodi 20 Nexus. Creating a network source in Kodi manually will still work.

(2022-05-17, 09:13)monkeylove Wrote: Sometimes, however, I get to watch the video, and then discover when I stop it that the scanning has stopped, with several videos not yet scanned.

If you need to scan an (entire) library, I suggest you start it late in the evening and let it run during the night. That ways there is no outside interference like playing videos via FTP (which also uses the video database).
Thanks. It's no longer an issue after the library has been scanned, so everything is fine for now. I'm using the backup addon so that I don't have to rescan everything if something goes wrong such that I have to re-install. Perhaps when Nexus comes out and I have some free time I can experiment with an SMB setup.
I also found out that the problem might lie with the Windows PC server because the same problems take place for SMB and FTP, and for Matrix and Nexus versions of Kodi. For now, I unchecked a driver called "QoS Packet Scheduler" in the network adapter settings and will see what happens.

BTW, I tried Nexus, and it starts and shuts down faster than Matrix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Update Video Library" is crazy slow0