• 67(current)
Beta Testflight access to beta version
I don't mind, but never felt this would be a feature users are waiting for. I can look into this.
(2022-10-29, 11:05)Buschel Wrote: I don't mind, but never felt this would be a feature users are waiting for. I can look into this.

Oh yes, I‘m honestly waiting for it, since I am using my iPad generally in light mode, but I don’t like the implementation of the light mode in the App. This is because even in light mode, most parts of the App are still dark / black:
That's quite easy to implement (already did it in the past 30 mins). Just need to check for devices using iOS 12 and older.

@kambala, is it possible to hide settings for certain iOS versions? stackoverflow states "no".
Is there really a need to suppress this option, if light/dark switch is not a basic OS option? Just because iOS doesn’t support it does not mean the App shouldn’t either?
If I remember it correctly, iOS started offering this option after too many Apps implemented something locally…
It is just the way how the App is implementing Dark/Light mode. It relies on iOS13 functionality. Reworking this is possible, but I am really not planning to do this -- too much work just to support this for users with old iOS. Per default the App will show light mode when running on old iOS. Adding an option which has no effect for users of iOS12 and older is not so great. We could of course also change the App's development target to 13.0 when migrating to Xcode 14, but this will end the support for about 3% of the current users.
(2022-10-29, 11:45)Buschel Wrote: @kambala, is it possible to hide settings for certain iOS versions? stackoverflow states "no".
No, but I can suggest workarounds:
  • Add a footer saying that this option works only on iOS >= 13
  • add the option to the app itself where you can control visibility
Buschel,

Many apps seem to have three options for setting app theme - automatic(uses OS system setting), light and dark.

I assume you already realize this. Is that what you were saying would require too much work given the current implementation in this app?
(2022-10-29, 12:00)Buschel Wrote: It is just the way how the App is implementing Dark/Light mode. It relies on iOS13 functionality. Reworking this is possible, but I am really not planning to do this…

Thanks for the explanation! 100% agree.
(2022-10-29, 12:16)amasephy Wrote: Many apps seem to have three options for setting app theme - automatic(uses OS system setting), light and dark.

I assume you already realize this. Is that what you were saying would require too much work given the current implementation in this app?
Yep, it looks like this: https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2022-10ryc5g.png
What is requiring too much effort is making this functionality available for iOS 12 and earlier.
(2022-10-29, 12:10)kambala Wrote:
  • Add a footer saying that this option works only on iOS >= 13
  • add the option to the app itself where you can control visibility
The first option I would choose for now. Even though this requires additional translation updates once we have a minimum iOS target of 13.0 or higher.
The second option is going on in my mind for a while. But this will require quite some rework I am not really interested in.
How strong is your opinion on the iOS 13.0 deployment target when moving to Xcode 14?
(2022-10-29, 12:41)Buschel Wrote:
(2022-10-29, 12:16)amasephy Wrote: Many apps seem to have three options for setting app theme - automatic(uses OS system setting), light and dark.

Yep, it looks like this: https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2022-10ryc5g.png
What is requiring too much effort is making this functionality available for iOS 12 and earlier.

Then, why not follow @kambala 's workaround suggestion and add an explanatory footnote: "Add a footer saying that this option works only on iOS >= 13"?
With the most recent version of the app you said you were cutting g off older versions of iOS. What will be the new baseline going forward? Will this also cut off older devices that have much smaller screens?
(2022-10-29, 12:44)Buschel Wrote: How strong is your opinion on the iOS 13.0 deployment target when moving to Xcode 14?

I honestly don’t see any need to continue supporting older iOS versions. (Same by the way for supporting very old Kodi versions…)
It is always appreciated if a program supports backward compatibility for two or even three generations, but not more. (Just my personal opinion, obviously)
(2022-10-29, 12:48)amasephy Wrote: With the most recent version of the app you said you were cutting g off older versions of iOS. What will be the new baseline going forward? Will this also cut off older devices that have much smaller screens?
As soon as we migrate to Xcode14 (which would be a 1.12 App version) we would at least go to minimum iOS 11.0 as this is required by AppStore. This cuts off everyone using iOS 9.x - 10.x which is still supported in the current App (11.x). To my knowledge impacted devices are iPhone 4S/5/5C, iPad Mini 1G, iPad 2/3/4 and iPod Touch 5G. For those devices users can keep using App version 11.x. But there will be no further updates.
My vote is to drop support for anything that can’t run iOS 13. Even devices that are 8 years old can run that version. Many of those old devices that can run iOS 13 aren’t even supported by apple as of this year ie: iPhone 6s and the ancient iPad Air 2. Circa 2014!
  • 67(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testflight access to beta version0