Playback of 4K H.265 / HEVC
Hi all, I'm trying to use Kodi to playback some 4K H.265 / HEVC files but I'm having mixed results. On a few of the files I get lots of stutter and picture break-up, which I believe is because the CPU is getting pushed to its maximum(checked via Kodi's own performance monitor and Windows monitor). I'm using Kodi as its seems to playback these files better than VLC but in most cases its still not watchable.

I'm running Kodi on a Windows desktop computer with an Intel i3 8100 CPU. This CPU/GPU is meant to be capable of handling H.265 but I've not found this to be the case:

Quote:Desktop computers based on the 8th Gen Intel processors integrate advanced media technologies that bring premium, high-quality content to your desktop, including HEVC 10-bit encode/decode, VP9 10-bit decode this delivers smooth streaming of premium 4K UHD entertainment to your PC from leading online providers.

I'm wondering if there is something I can do with my current set-up to get smooth playback, be it a setting or something else, or whether I need to upgrade my hardware? If I did upgrade the hardware do I go for a new CPU, a new GPU?
My HTPC with an intel 12100 works flawlessly with 4k HEVC movies. Same with my game pc running 12700K/RTX 3090. Many of my older PCs, and my Ipad Air, has stutters.
Thanks! Good to know. I did try out a GPU from my desktop (an RTX 3060) and that made everything run very smoothly. Just got to work out the cheapest upgrade option.
(2022-11-10, 13:47)reabus Wrote: desktop computer with an Intel i3 8100 CPU

That thing has a Intel® UHD Graphics 630 onboard, and should be more than fine to run HEVC videos.
I'm using a simple Pentium Silver pc with a HD605 gpu, and HEVC decoding works on it.

(2022-11-10, 13:47)reabus Wrote: I'm wondering if there is something I can do with my current set-up to get smooth playback

For now we have no clue of what you are using in terms of OS, or Kodi settings, or the details of the video (e.g. bitrate).
Start with providing a debug log (wiki) with details so we may see where a blockage could be.
Thanks! It does run HEVC fine at 1080p but struggles with some 4k, I get a lot of stutters.

I'm away from at the moment but the video is 20,000kbps, I'm on Win 10 running Kodi 19.4. I've found things improve if I turn of hardware acceleration in kodi but still not great.

I'll post a debug log as soon as I get back.
(2022-12-03, 05:06)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-11-10, 13:47)reabus Wrote: desktop computer with an Intel i3 8100 CPU

That thing has a Intel® UHD Graphics 630 onboard, and should be more than fine to run HEVC videos.
I'm using a simple Pentium Silver pc with a HD605 gpu, and HEVC decoding works on it.
(2022-11-10, 13:47)reabus Wrote: I'm wondering if there is something I can do with my current set-up to get smooth playback

For now we have no clue of what you are using in terms of OS, or Kodi settings, or the details of the video (e.g. bitrate).
Start with providing a debug log (wiki) with details so we may see where a blockage could be.

Ok, I managed to get the debug log. If you do get a change to take a look I'd appreciate it, thanks!

https://paste.kodi.tv/tuzapayoyi
(2022-11-10, 13:47)reabus Wrote: I'm running Kodi on a Windows desktop computer with an Intel i3 8100 CPU
Not really... INFO <general>: Host CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 4 cores available

That is not a i3-8100 but a 6100. With a Intel HD530 gpu onboard. It should also have HEVC decoding, but perhaps not as effective?
What is the OSD output when you press the letter 'O' on your keyboard during a 4K hevc video? Is the video HW or SW decoded?

EDIT: and also, kindly first remove the orange-colored add-on entries from your Kodi setup. We really do not support any add-ons facilitating video piracy.
(2022-12-11, 05:16)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-11-10, 13:47)reabus Wrote: I'm running Kodi on a Windows desktop computer with an Intel i3 8100 CPU
Not really... INFO <general>: Host CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 4 cores available

That is not a i3-8100 but a 6100. With a Intel HD530 gpu onboard. It should also have HEVC decoding, but perhaps not as effective?
What is the OSD output when you press the letter 'O' on your keyboard during a 4K hevc video? Is the video HW or SW decoded?

EDIT: and also, kindly first remove the orange-colored add-on entries from your Kodi setup. We really do not support any add-ons facilitating video piracy.
Ah right, I was told by the guy I bought it from that it was an 8100 but yes you're right looks like its a 6100. I'm not sure how or which addons to remove, everything was as it was when I got it. I'm thinking I'll just clean install the whole thing. Not sure what you mean by OSD output but when I press O it is software decode. I did try hardware decode in the settings but that made things significantly worse. Does file size matter? I'm trying to use this setup to play music videos my friend makes and the files are quite big, around 1GB for a 5 minute video.
(2022-12-11, 16:03)reabus Wrote: I'm not sure how or which addons to remove, everything was as it was when I got it

Like Klojum has already stated, all the addons and repos in orange in your log are Banned Add-ons (wiki) - you’ll need to remove them before support can continue.

That being said I would strongly recommend wiping not only Kodi but the Windows OS and starting again. Using a second hand computer with someone else’s software and data already installed on it is just asking for trouble.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2022-12-11, 16:26)Dangelus Wrote:
(2022-12-11, 16:03)reabus Wrote: I'm not sure how or which addons to remove, everything was as it was when I got it

Like Klojum has already stated, all the addons and repos in orange in your log are Banned Add-ons (wiki) - you’ll need to remove them before support can continue.

That being said I would strongly recommend wiping not only Kodi but the Windows OS and starting again. Using a second hand computer with someone else’s software and data already installed on it is just asking for trouble.

Thanks, I will definitely be wiping everything, weirdly though if I go onto the addons page its just empty apart from the kodi log thing. Thanks for the guidance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback of 4K H.265 / HEVC0