Launching the Skip 1s Universal remote by Flirc
All fair enough and again, best of luck with it.  I hope it is a smashing success and sets up a positive future for things that I personally will find a better fit.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2022-12-14, 02:32)natethomas Wrote: I made a test Streaming activity that included a full 8 devices, and it was just as silly as I imagined. I'm sure there will be people who absolutely will love this functionality and will use it all the time, but personally I just can't imagine ever needing more that 4 or 5 devices in a single activity. I know I'm not everybody though, so better to allow for a lot.

(Honestly, as you can see from my other two activities, I rarely need more than 2 or 3. My Vizio TV includes a Fire TV stick, but since I control that with HDMI-CEC, I'm happy with just two devices on that activity.)

I concur on the device count thinking.  I have 6 Harmony 650s being used in a 5 different environments.   For our main viewing area my wife and I each have a harmony 650 so we can both drive at times  Smile  The most devices and activities we have is 4 devices (Samsung TV, Yamaha AVR, Intel NUC running Kodi with Mezmo and a Roku for streaming) and 3 activities Watch TV / Streaming from the Roku, Watch movies from the Intel NUC running Kodi and Listen to Music from the Yamaha AVR.  It's wife friendly and she is very happy with it.  I have all the other remotes in a drawer.   I've ordered a Skip 1s to see how well it works as a long term replacement for my 650s.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2022-12-14, 02:17)natethomas Wrote: ....
Given that environment we think the Skip 1s is in a pretty good position as an entry level device. We'd have loved to include bluetooth, but getting through the regulatory hurdles and pain of matching up with all the bluetooth implementations out there would have added WAY too much time for a launch. But bluetooth is certainly planned for the next remote, assuming this does well. Aside from bluetooth though, having 3 activities which each can handle up to 8 devices, with a planned software update (after feedback from prospective users) to at least double total allowable activities to 6 (meaning you can theoretically control as many as 48 devices with one remote), with buttons that are all capable of macros (and eventually long press) seems like a pretty decent entry level offering, even setting aside the focus on improving software and making a more durable and long lasting remote generally.

I'm not saying there will never be a Skip with a screen. I'm just saying we feel pretty good about starting out the product line with the Skip 1s.
Thanks for sharing what may be in store in a future edition--what are the chances of air-mouse functionality being added in a future remote?
I've been on vacation but when I returned earlier this week my Skip 1 / Flirc order arrived.   Nice looking remote.   I'll try to do some testing over the next few days.   The key for me will be the activities buttons and being able to issue a set of commands to my TV, AVR, Kodi and Roku boxes.  It will be nice to have a backup option to my Harmony 650s.  I'll report back my findings.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
I've been trying to get FLIRC working on a Linux box for months. While there seems to be many different 'install guides' floating aound, NONE of them appear to be accurate, most notably the instructions on the FLIRC support site & in the forums. Not happy with devices at all!! And I'm sure as heck not buying another product from this 'company'.
(2023-01-28, 17:04)bobbyp Wrote: I've been trying to get FLIRC working on a Linux box for months. While there seems to be many different 'install guides' floating aound, NONE of them appear to be accurate, most notably the instructions on the FLIRC support site & in the forums. Not happy with devices at all!! And I'm sure as heck not buying another product from this 'company'.

Sorry, I am not buying this as a legitimate post.  it looks like spammer, given this is your first post and this is what you post.  I have Flircs working on many LibreElec boxes with Linux running with no issues.

Jeff
Yeah, sorry, not spam. I have genuinely tried to get this thing to work on Linux Mint for months. There are NO instructions (that I can find) detailing what libraries, etc. are needed to run the app on Linux. I have both the Flirc & flirc_util executables and neither of them will install. If you anyone can point me to a working instruction set I would be grateful, but it shouldn't be that difficult to find accurate documentation.
(2023-01-28, 18:56)bobbyp Wrote: Yeah, sorry, not spam. I have genuinely tried to get this thing to work on Linux Mint for months. There are NO instructions (that I can find) detailing what libraries, etc. are needed to run the app on Linux. I have both the Flirc & flirc_util executables and neither of them will install. If you anyone can point me to a working instruction set I would be grateful, but it shouldn't be that difficult to find accurate documentation.

Ok.  I'm including @natethomas  who should be able to help.  Apparently full Linux support across all distributions may not be possible yet based upon this post.   I can only tell you that I have it running on numerous OSMC and LibreElec boxes, both of which are Linux but not Mint.  I don't have any native Linux Kodi installations. 

Thanks,

Jeff
Setting up and running are different points here, so be a little careful.

Setting up the dongle should be a one-shot job, and there are instructions for doing it under Debian (here). Their site offers downloads for Windows, Mac and Linux (here) but that latter one looks to be Debian.

Once the dongle is set up, then it doesn't need the software again unless you either want to change the configuration or to update the firmware. The dongle itself appears to devices as a USB keyboard, which almost anything can drive natively. I know it certainly works fine under all the devices I've ever tried mine on.

Do you have either a Windows machine or a Mac that you could temporarily lay your hands on and use the set-up app on that to get your dongle programmed and then you should be fine to run from then onward. Use a friend's machine or something perhaps for that initial set-up?

Also pinging @jason as a back-up to Nate.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2023-01-28, 19:22)DarrenHill Wrote: Setting up and running are different points here, so be a little careful.

Good point.  I've used a Windows machine to program all my Flirc dongles and then inserted them into my OSMC and LibreElec boxes.  Agreed that it is a one time shot unless you want to make key mapping changes. 

Jeff
I have been able to successfully program a WMC remote on a windows box, but without an installer/driver how is linux going to recognize it? Luckily I still have some time to return this to amazon, cause I think I'm about done!
This isn't a Flirc support thread - please take all that somewhere else, like their contact page, their forums, or at least a separate thread.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2023-01-29, 00:26)bobbyp Wrote: I have been able to successfully program a WMC remote on a windows box, but without an installer/driver how is linux going to recognize it? Luckily I still have some time to return this to amazon, cause I think I'm about done!

It shows up as a regular keyboard after it's been setup. Linux should just see it as a keyboard. Also, as bossanova said, for support for unrelated stuff please visit forum.flirc.tv This thread is about the Skip 1s
(2022-12-16, 00:27)Eldar3333 Wrote: Thanks for sharing what may be in store in a future edition--what are the chances of air-mouse functionality being added in a future remote?

Probably fairly slim to nonexistent for quite a while. Focus is on more standard remote features.
Quote:Probably fairly slim to nonexistent for quite a while. Focus is on more standard remote features.

OK--thanks for the reply at least.  Will keep following, keep hoping. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launching the Skip 1s Universal remote by Flirc0