• 49(current)
Release Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build
(2023-02-12, 08:05)feerlessleadr Wrote: Thank you! I was having stutters using the latest stable 20 build with passthrough (although I wasn't sure what was causing it at the time), so really glad I happened to check the forums, which I hadn't done in quite some time.
It's definitely the Nvidia Shield's crappy firmware causing it. Tongue We found this out after many Debug Logs.
Install the latest nightly and use that advancedsettings.xml code -- I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results! Let us know how it goes. Smile
bleh - between this and my N2 somehow deciding to no longer output 4k to my TV (hence why I broke out the trusty shield pro 2019), I'm just having a day lol. 

I can confirm that in my limited viewing of a 4k HDR (Dolby Vision actually kicked in, which I forgot was in the 21 nightlies, yay!), the studdering and audio skipping are gone. I only watched about 5 minutes of Moonfall (don't judge me) though, so more testing is in order tomorrow when it isn't the middle of the night.
I updated the first post with the latest nightly links.
Let see if the video/audio delay in the advanced settings is still needed. Will add it to the recommendation when have time.

Does someone has tested the zootopia train scene (for regression test purpose)?
(2023-02-12, 09:06)supertoto1977 Wrote: I updated the first post with the latest nightly links.

Note that build kodi-20230211-378fd55f-master-arm64-v8a.apk does not include the changes yet due nightlies are build only every 2 days.

The first with the changes will be Feb-13
This is a build from now (git at c0445a8a6b5756ab01c64243175f413294ca3218) with all changes (to not have wait tomorrow):

kodi-20230211-c0445a8a-master-arm64-v8a.apk
(2023-02-12, 06:43)fritsch Wrote:
(2023-02-12, 02:33)Hitcher Wrote:
(2023-02-11, 23:20)fritsch Wrote: In this new build only? Or since some time?
This one - kodi-20230208-bd9b2fae-master-25786-arm64-v8a.apk

This is odd. There were no definite audio changes included, not since a longer time, but we are slowly getting a huge load of generic changes into kodi. You can post a Debug Log via slack - hopefully not some generic outtage by some code modernization ...

But nightly of the 7th is fine? 8th starts to make issues?

Here I only see: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/androi...8a/master/ 7 and 9.

This is the advanced setting I was using -

xml:
<advancedsettings>
  <audio>
    <maxpassthroughoffsyncduration>90</maxpassthroughoffsyncduration>
  </audio>
  <video>
    <latency>
      <delay>-75</delay>
    </latency>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

But as soon as I removed the -75 video latency delay everything was fine again so I don't think it's useful to use that setting while testing these builds.
kodi-20230211-c0445a8a-master-arm64-v8a.apk
c0445a8a6b5756ab01c64243175f413294ca3218

This build causes the Netflix add-on to crash immediately after starting playback, the latest nightlies have no problems.
(2023-02-12, 12:30)QianyuLi Wrote: This build causes the Netflix add-on to crash immediately after starting playback, the latest nightlies have no problems.

Netflix not has TrueHD Atmos  Huh ​​​ so seems totally unrelated....    Netflix is DD+ Atmos

Maybe is related to Python 3.11.2 bump or something else
If I use USB Dac, those fixes still apply?
(2023-02-12, 13:11)tfouto Wrote: If I use USB Dac, those fixes still apply?

Same question if i use an AVR?
The shield's audio problem doesn't cause a concern, isn't it (passthrough in Kodi of course)?
Kodi has no idea about any connected DAC in Android. It works like this:
Kodi enumerates all available Functionality. In PCM mode (see Debug Log) you can see that all samplerates, all data formats and even all speaker number constellations are available. Then kodi does its bit perfect job internally and gives the data to Android ... we have absolutely no idea what it does with that data ... but I think if the DAC blinks green all is good.

In Linux this is different: Whatever the driver of the DAC exposes to kodi, this is used.

For master in general: We are now going towards the merge windows ... and sadly breakage from e.g. python updates, architectural refactoring will happen. We need to decide the next days what we backport to 20.1 ... The Release-Leads have already said, that an ffmpeg bump is out of question ... for Audio the changes were pretty straight forward and especially the changes of yesterday fix certain things on Linux, Windows and Android ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2023-02-12, 09:06)supertoto1977 Wrote: I updated the first post with the latest nightly links.
Let see if the video/audio delay in the advanced settings is still needed. Will add it to the recommendation when have time.

Does someone has tested the zootopia train scene (for regression test purpose)?

Thanks for keeping the original post up to date. I have been keeping an eye on this thread in recent days and I thought I read that the changes were also added to the v20 nightlies sometime in January. Are you able to confirm whether this is still solely in v21 or if it is already in v20 nightlies as well?
The last fixes from yesterday - are not yet in v20. I sent a PR to try to backport everything that we have done ... as said this does not include ffmpeg5 and therefore no Dolby-Vision.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch I gotta say, those latest fixes with AE rework TrueHD, have been pretty good. I haven’t got any stuttering issues or audio dropouts yet. Will keep testing more.

One more thing, idk if you guys didn’t some other minor improvements aside from TrueHD that perhaps cover all other audio codecs in general. But, ever since using that build I haven’t experienced any more DTS-HD audio dropouts which seems odd, I don’t wanna say they’re gone or officially eradicated. But, I saw a 1h:26ms animated film in DTS-HD using the latest build that packs the TrueHD rework and it didn’t experienced any audio dropouts. Then, watched around 36 minutes of World War Z movie in DTS-HD which I had to pause it after that timeframe because I had to go out, but that was after watching the animated film and it didn’t experienced any audio dropouts either at least in those 36 minutes of watching.

So, idk if those dropouts could be related to something else in my hardware equipment or if there were some additional minor adjustments in the TrueHD rework fixes that applied to all other codecs for better audio stability overall. Either way, the build seems very promising so far. 🤷‍♂️
Are you using the version @yogal linked?
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build0