• 1(current)
Release Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build
This topic concerns only the users which use the audio passthrough IEC mode.

Complete rework of True-HD and audio/video sync enhancements have been done by @jogal
Some improvements and a workaround (see below) have been developed by @fritsch 

Release Kodi Nexus v20.1 (no Dolby Vision): 
  • Complete rework of True-HD
  • New audio option maxpassthroughoffsyncduration (see below)
  • Self-calibration of max audio/video out-of-sync delay (max value is 100 ms) (see below)
ARMV8 64-bit
ARMV7 32-bit 

Latest Nightly Kodi Omega v21 since 2023-02-19: 
  • Complete rework of True-HD
  • New audio option maxpassthroughoffsyncduration (see below)
  • Self-calibration of max audio/video out-of-sync delay (max value is 100 ms) (see below)
ARMV8 64-bit
ARMV7 32-bit

It will replace your current version of Kodi. Do a backup first via the addon.
Do not forget to test all the audio formats (DD, DD+, AAC, DTS, DTS-HDMA, TRUE-HD,...) and report any issue with a debug log.

SELF-CALIBRATION MAX A/V OUT-OF-SYNC DELAY ALLOWED
Kodi will define the max audio/video out-of-sync delay allowed during the first 30s.
This information is visible in the Video Player debug Information (Ctrl+Shift+O).
Moreover, you could see how many time Kodi did an a/v sync corrections (which could explain some video micro stutters).
If you still see video micro stutters but the number of a/v corrections is 0,
no skips and no drops are reported inside the Video Player debug Information (ignore those caused by opening it (Ctrl+Shift+O)),
then it's not a kodi issue but caused by the chain behind kodi: Android, AVR or TV.
You should have no maxpassthroughoffsyncduration in your advancedsettings.xml.

FORCE MAX A/V OUT-OF-SYNC DELAY
If the self-calibration doesn't work for you, you can set the max audio/video out-of-sync delay manually.
You can use the new audio option maxpassthroughoffsyncduration available in the advancedsettings.xml

Code:

<advancedsettings>
  <audio>
    <maxpassthroughoffsyncduration>90</maxpassthroughoffsyncduration>
  </audio>
 </advancedsettings>

maxpassthroughoffsyncduration should be adjusted with the device you use.
For the Shield 2019 Pro with the latest firmware, the value should be between 80 ms and 100 ms.

RECOMMENDED SHIELD AUDIO SETTINGS
  • Dolby processing: OFF
  • Match content resolution: ON (only in FW 9.x)
  • Audio video sync: 0 ms
  • Play comfort noise on HDMI: OFF
RECOMMENDED KODI SETTINGS
  • Adjust display refresh rate: On start/stop
  • Sync playback to display: OFF
  • Delay after change of refresh rate: Usually anywhere from 2 sec to 4 sec (Find what works best for your TV)
  • Whitelist: All resolutions that your TV supports
  • Keep audio device alive: 1 Minute
  • Allow Passthrough: ON
  • Passthrough output device: AudioTrack IEC
  • *** Capable Receiver: Turn ON the audio formats that your AVR/SoundBar is capable of playing (check your specs)
Thanks for taking the time to still look into this issue.

However, I feel a version with a different package name would be better.

Your version is now based on Kodi 21 Omega which is still in early alpha stage. If you used a different package name it would make it easier for people to test while keeping their main Kodi install intact.
@MrMagic

I updated the first post.
You have now the choice to replace your current version or to have a new application KodiFoo21.
(2023-01-15, 18:39)supertoto1977 Wrote: You have now the choice to replace your current version or to have a new application KodiFoo21.

Great! I will try a full length movie when I get the chance. May take a few days though Smile
As someone who still suffers from TrueHD audio dropouts with IEC, I'm really excited to try this build!
I've been using Audiotrack RAW for a bit and while it doesn't give me dropouts, it does cause a few other issues (audio skipping at the start, video microstutters, etc)... so I'd be really happy if this IEC fix fully solves the problem.

Thank you so much for taking the time to try and solve this issue! I will give it a try when I have some free time, and I'll post again with my results.
I noticed that in the code sometimes passthrough is spelled “passthough” and sometimes “passthrough”. Just a heads up if it matters for the code changes to function properly. I am not a developer 👍 thank you so much for working on this! 😃
If you build a version for the tube (32 bit) i would try it too because i have the same Atmos problems.
(2023-01-16, 12:14)SoulReaver Wrote: I noticed that in the code sometimes passthrough is spelled “passthough” and sometimes “passthrough”. Just a heads up if it matters for the code changes to function properly. I am not a developer 👍 thank you so much for working on this! 😃

Good catch! I think I'm going to wait to hear back from supertoto1977 before I do my testing, just in case this typo does affect the fix.
Thank for the alert, it's just a typo which have no impact on the results.
Will see for the 32-bit version during the next weekend.

Please note that another fix done by fritsch (PR) will be available in the official Kodi Omega nightly.
It needs to be tested too.
Will see if i could provide this fix in another package name to help the testers.
fritsch's PR is now merged in master branch. It can be tested in the next nightly build (Jan -19) here:

https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/androi...8a/master/

And installed on top of v20 as there no relevant changes yet (not database schema changes or settings changes) and is easy go back to Nexus installing builds form here:

https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/androi...v8a/Nexus/

I think, from the tests I have done, that there is a very high probability that the problem will be 100% fixed for everyone.
(2023-01-17, 19:27)jogal Wrote: fritsch's PR is now merged in master branch. It can be tested in the next nightly build (Jan -19) here:

And installed on top of v20 as there no relevant changes yet (not database schema changes or settings changes) and is easy go back to Nexus installing builds form here:

I think, from the tests I have done, that there is a very high probability that the problem will be 100% fixed for everyone.
That is great news! Thank you so much for the update :-)
(2023-01-17, 19:27)jogal Wrote: fritsch's PR is now merged in master branch. It can be tested in the next nightly build (Jan -19) here:

Awesome news! I'm so grateful that we have people working on fixing this issue. Smile

I'm now wondering... which version should I be doing my testing on?

The official fix by fritsch sounds very promising, but does it also fix the video micro-stuttering that occurs on high bitrate 4K video with TrueHD Atmos?
Supertoto1977's claims that his code improves both the audio dropouts as well as the video micro-stutters (which is even more disruptive than the audio dropouts, in my opinion).
To not have to wait Jan 19:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...64-v8a.apk

(2023-01-17, 20:54)Draconix Wrote: but does it also fix the video micro-stuttering that occurs on high bitrate 4K video with TrueHD Atmos?

What micro-stutter?   To fix something first is need broken.  This (new) issue even exists on v20?

Quote:Try using v20 and AudioTrack RAW
This gives me flawless video and audio, though you will sometimes get no audio when you start playing a 4K video with TrueHD. Simple fix is to stop the video and play it again.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3122637

Since when do you experience micro-stutter?
Or are you just speculating?
Sorry, I should have specified that the video micro-stutter only happens on some of the 4K video w/ TrueHD that I tested. The post of mine that you quoted was before I encountered the video issue. AudioTrack RAW seems to create micro-stutters on about 50% of the high-bitrate 4K videos (with TrueHD) that I've watched.

I will begin testing AudioTrack IEC with one of the new test builds to see if it no longer has audio dropouts (and hopefully no video stutters). I just wanted to ask if I should be testing the nightly build that you posted, or supertoto's build from the original post?

EDIT: Did a really quick test on a file that previously stuttered like crazy. Using IEC on the Jan 19 build you posted, the video was very smooth! I'll need to watch a full movie to properly test the audio dropout fix though.
EDIT2: Tested about 10 minutes of the 4K BluRay of Alita: Battle Angel. Dolby Vision triggers and works as expected. First time I watched it, there were frequent video stutters the entire 10 minutes Sad. I closed it and played it again, this time it stuttered for the first minute but was completely smooth after that. There is clearly an issue here that I hope gets looked at.
(2023-01-17, 21:06)jogal Wrote: To not have to wait Jan 19:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...64-v8a.apk
Awesome! Thanks a lot man! :-)
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build0