Using and tuning MariaDB as your central database
Be aware that if you use phpMyAdmin to adjust variable values that they will revert to default after a restart/reboot. The only way to set them as default is to create/edit a my.cnf file and as others have noted that is something you only should do when you know what you're doing.
(2023-03-11, 15:59)wags1 Wrote: Be aware that if you use phpMyAdmin to adjust variable values that they will revert to default after a restart/reboot.
Interesting, but mine has never reverted after a reboot/update of the NAS or MariaDB, and it has been running this way for a number of years.

--
I was wrong, ignore my comments
(2023-03-12, 00:28)jznine Wrote:
(2023-03-11, 15:59)wags1 Wrote: Be aware that if you use phpMyAdmin to adjust variable values that they will revert to default after a restart/reboot.
Interesting, but mine has never reverted after a reboot/update of the NAS or MariaDB, and it has been running this way for a number of years.
Then either that is your default or you have a cnf file. The net is that if you just change the the variable setting to something other than your default or something other than what is set in your cnf file using phpMyAdmin then when your db restarts or resets it will revert to whatever value is your default or is set in your cnf file. It can’t do anything else…it isn’t magic…
(2023-03-12, 06:21)wags1 Wrote:
(2023-03-12, 00:28)jznine Wrote:
Then either that is your default or you have a cnf file. The net is that if you just change the the variable setting to something other than your default or something other than what is set in your cnf file using phpMyAdmin then when your db restarts or resets it will revert to whatever value is your default or is set in your cnf file. It can’t do anything else…it isn’t magic…

Ok no worries, I was wrong and will edit my comments
(2023-03-12, 06:46)jznine Wrote:
(2023-03-12, 06:21)wags1 Wrote:
(2023-03-12, 00:28)jznine Wrote: Interesting, but mine has never reverted after a reboot/update of the NAS or MariaDB, and it has been running this way for a number of years.

Ok no worries, I was wrong and will edit my comments
No worries, I honestly should have explained it better in my op.
Thanks for all the info! It really helped! I will reboot my NAS to see if the variable reverts back to 62 instead of 0…

I won’t be playing with the « advanced » editing of my.cfg as I’m definitely not an expert in this domain!

Thanks again for the precious help!
(2023-03-12, 19:42)Jeff721 Wrote: Thanks for all the info! It really helped! I will reboot my NAS to see if the variable reverts back to 62 instead of 0…

I won’t be playing with the « advanced » editing of my.cfg as I’m definitely not an expert in this domain!

If you find that it is reverting to 62 on reboot and you are using a Synology NAS DM me and I can provide some help.
(2023-03-13, 04:37)wags1 Wrote:
(2023-03-12, 19:42)Jeff721 Wrote: Thanks for all the info! It really helped! I will reboot my NAS to see if the variable reverts back to 62 instead of 0…

If you find that it is reverting to 62 on reboot and you are using a Synology NAS DM me and I can provide some help.
Well...  I feel kinda of stupid for asking the question but...  Do you have to have a minimum amount of posts before being able to DM someone?  For the hell of me, I cannot find the damn button to press to DM you!!!  Sad
(2023-03-13, 04:37)wags1 Wrote:

And like you predicted it, the variable went back to 62 after a reboot...
(2023-03-23, 05:57)Jeff721 Wrote: Well...  I feel kinda of stupid for asking the question but...  Do you have to have a minimum amount of posts before being able to DM someone?  For the hell of me, I cannot find the damn button to press to DM you!!! 

Yes, there's are certain account requirements that need to be met before messaging and stuff like that is activated. It's a generic anti-spam measure implemented on the board to prevent them being abused.

You hadn't reached one of them yet, but as you don't seem to be a spam-bot I've enabled them for you. That said/done, we do prefer support to be in public and visible to everyone where possible, simply so that the rest of the community can also benefit if they have similar/same issues.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@Jeff721 What platform are you running your MariaDB on? I have instructions that will allow you to create and edit a my.cnf file to set defaults that I use for my MariaDB that is running on a Synology NAS. I have no idea if it will work on any other platform. I hesitate to post the instructions publicly because if you aren't careful you can cause problems. But I will post with the the following caveat - PLEASE DO NOT USE UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED USER AND/OR ARE FULLY AWARE OF THE RISKS!
@wags1 

My Synology is currently running DSM 7.1.1.  The version of MariaDB installed on my Synology NAS is 10.3.32 -1040.
(2023-03-23, 14:29)DarrenHill Wrote:
(2023-03-23, 05:57)Jeff721 Wrote: Well...  I feel kinda of stupid for asking the question but...  Do you have to have a minimum amount of posts before being able to DM someone?  For the hell of me, I cannot find the damn button to press to DM you!!! 

Yes, there's are certain account requirements that need to be met before messaging and stuff like that is activated. It's a generic anti-spam measure implemented on the board to prevent them being abused.

You hadn't reached one of them yet, but as you don't seem to be a spam-bot I've enabled them for you. That said/done, we do prefer support to be in public and visible to everyone where possible, simply so that the rest of the community can also benefit if they have similar/same issues.
Thank you very much for the user update!  Like you said, I'm definitely not a BOT!

Thanks again!
@Jeff721 Then this should work for you. Again - PLEASE DO NOT USE UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED USER AND/OR ARE FULLY AWARE OF THE RISKS!

This assumes some knowledge of being able to use SSH to navigate and issue commands and the ability to use the vi editor (see note below).
First you need to enable SSH on your NAS. I highly recommend that you normally keep SSH disabled and once done with this procedure you disable it again. Also you will need to use something like PuTTY to SSH into your NAS.

To create my.cnf file - 

Logon using SSH (need to login with user/pw that has admin)
switch to root - sudo -i
switch to correct directory - cd /var/packages/MariaDB10/etc
List files - ls
if my.cnf does not exist create it - touch my.cnf
edit my.cnf - vi my.cnf

add the following - 
[mysqld]
optimizer_search_depth=0

switch out of edit mode - hit esc
save and exit - :mq

restart MariaDB - /usr/syno/bin/synopkg restart MariaDB10

exit SSH - exit (may have to enter exit multiple times until PuTTy screen closes)

Note - see vi editor cheat sheet here.
One other small comment, if you're not used to or comfortable with vi as the editor, you can install nano on the Synology through the SynoCli File Tools package from the community section in the package manager (from Synocommunity).

Just in case it's useful, as I'm a Syno owner myself who doesn't like vi so much (too much time with Pi's and nano Wink ).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using and tuning MariaDB as your central database1