• 9(current)
[New Feature] Movie version
Hi @black_eagle, I'm not sure it's me or you misunderstood the "Versions" navigation. It's implemented just like what "Tags" navigation works. It's supposed to show all "Versions" and when you click on a specific version, you will see all movies that have that version. This is the "Tags" navigation behavior. If you want to see what versions of a specific movie has, you shouldn't go the "Versions" navigation, you should check on the specific movie.
(2023-10-28, 10:37)jjd-uk Wrote: New builds have been kicked off

Thanks!
(2023-10-28, 19:14)XODIDOX Wrote: It's supposed to show all "Versions" and when you click on a specific version, you will see all movies that have that version.

Sure, but without the node xml file and the additions in the diff I linked (regardless of whether or not you drop the changed SQL) it doesn't work.

Also, the difference is with tags that they already exist.  With your feature, there could be many versions (10th Anniversary, 20th Anniversary etc) that just don't exist for anything.  So therefore, its pointless to show them.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2023-10-28, 20:14)black_eagle Wrote:
(2023-10-28, 19:14)XODIDOX Wrote: It's supposed to show all "Versions" and when you click on a specific version, you will see all movies that have that version.

Sure, but without the node xml file and the additions in the diff I linked (regardless of whether or not you drop the changed SQL) it doesn't work.

Also, the difference is with tags that they already exist.  With your feature, there could be many versions (10th Anniversary, 20th Anniversary etc) that just don't exist for anything.  So therefore, its pointless to show them.
Now I see your point. So you want to hide the system defined versions if it's empty? We shouldn't hide user defined versions even if it's empty. But if user want to add a new version from navigation, because empty system defined versions are hidden, user don't know that version exist in system, they have to input it? I'm not sure it's a good user experience. I'm not against to do this though.
(2023-10-24, 22:17)ashlar Wrote: 1) First and foremost. What I am seeing is that once you add a second version to a movie... once you select that movie you are presented with a windows where you can choose what version to play. You select it from the list on the left, the cursor moves on Play. You press Play and... no matter what version you have chosen (confirmed by the path listed at the bottom of the window), the first version gets played.
Tried this already with three different movies.

2) The first version of a movie gets the "Standard version" name by default and, unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to change it. What happened to me is that the first version scanned to database was the 4K version. That's called Standard now. I named the HD version "1080p" but, for consistency within one's library, I think it's important to be able to rename versions.
Ok, tested the new build.

#1 is now fixed. Thanks!

#2 leads me to a more general issue. I think that there should be more consistency as to what one is allowed to do when the movie version window opens.

As things are now, if I'm not mistaken (or missing other point of entries), the same windows is shown when:

1) Selecting to play a movie that has multiple versions.
2) Pressing info on a movie and then selecting Versions in the menu of choices available

For reasons that are unclear to me, apart from a philosophical "you pressed play, so you now can only play the movie", I think that no matter where you access the same window from, you should be presented with the same accessible options. So... even if I have not gone the Info/Versions route, I should be able to rename a version if I so decide after having pressed Play on a movie from my list of titles.

I would also expect to be able to access the same window when accessing the contextual menu Manage.../Manage movie version. If I already have more than one version for a movie I instead receive a message that tells me that, since the movie already has multiple versions, I cannot convert it to a version for another one.
I believe this could be done differently. If nothing else for consistency with Manage Movie Set. I think a single window is needed that can allow a user to manage versions. If I select Manage Movie Version from the Manage... contextual menu, I should be able to both rename versions, add a new version and, basically, completely manage the versions for that title.

I hope the above is clear but I can supplement it with pictures if necessary. I basically think all functionalities are there already, it's just the way they are presented to the user that can be made slightly more friendly.

(can't wait for TV Shows implementation, whenever it'll come).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
@black_eagle, I've integrated your changes for navigation. Thanks! Smile
@ashlar, for the problems you mentioned, my original thought was even disabling the "Play" button in play mode, just click an item in version/extras list will play it immediately. To make the UI consistent, I enabled the "Play" button. Version management is a thing that will be done rarely, but playing is happening frequently. Why show so many buttons that won't be used when playing a video? I agree with your idea about unique UI, but management is supposed to be an advanced feature, for example, Kodi's item management menu (manage movie set/edit title, etc.) is hidden in a second level menu. I wish we could be able to do a poll or something to get more inputs for this.

For the “Manage movie version” menu, it’s used to manage version from movie title point of view, just like the movie set. The “Add version” button in version dialog is from file point of view. Are you thinking put both at the same place is a good idea? I’m not sure. Or drop the support for movie title, only using file?
@XODIDOX

Will you eventually be adding nfo file support? That way when users rebuild their library (maybe updating to a new major version) all the versioning is already done after scanning the nfo files into the library.

Thanks Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-10-29, 01:02)Karellen Wrote: @XODIDOX

Will you eventually be adding nfo file support? That way when users rebuild their library (maybe updating to a new major version) all the versioning is already done after scanning the nfo files into the library.

Thanks Smile

Hi @Karellen, I have that in mind, I even want to support auto scraping based on file name or nfo info, but it's hard for me to do it currently. These things need a through discussion then make decision, and as an outsider of Kodi team, I don't have a way to talk with developers, and forum thread or github PR seems not good for this kind of discussion. I don't want to do this alone and finished the code for testing, then got rejected immediately or got a totally disagreement with the way it works. As a lesson I've learned, it's hard for outsiders to contribute a big feature, only small changes are feasible.
(2023-10-29, 01:18)XODIDOX Wrote: These things need a through discussion then make decision, and as an outsider of Kodi team, I don't have a way to talk with developers, and forum thread or github PR seems not good for this kind of discussion
Let me see if I can organise something.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Here's a few points I have.
  • I don't think it should be interrupting library scans - either get the info from the file name or let the user input them later.
  • Everything should disabled by default.
  • When selecting a movie I think you should just open up the select dialog with images (list ID=6) for version selection.
  • The Versions dialog should only be used for managing versions and either opened via the conext menu or video information dialog.
  • The Version dialog could IMO reuse the video information dialog - skinners hate having to add more dialogs.
  • The 'Versions' button in the video information dialog should only be enabled (ie visible) when there are versions available.
  • In the Version dialog why don't posters work? Thumbs aren't very informative.
  • Extras should be a seperate thing.
(2023-10-29, 01:57)Hitcher Wrote: I don't think it should be interrupting library scans - either get the info from the file name or let the user input them later.

No problems for me.

Quote:Everything should disabled by default.

No problems for me. The current behavior for both were from the previous discussions on this thread.

Quote:When selecting a movie I think you should just open up the select dialog with images (list ID=6) for version selection.

Not sure I understand this.

Quote:The Versions dialog should only be used for managing versions and either opened via the conext menu or video information dialog.

Showing the dialog when playing a movie was special requested by Kodi team member on the initial discussion on this thread.

Quote:The Version dialog could IMO reuse the video information dialog - skinners hate having to add more dialogs.

I don't think mixing up totally unrelated things together is a good design.

Quote:The 'Versions' button in the video information dialog should only be enabled (ie visible) when there are versions available.

The dialog provides ways to add/remove/change versions, if only visible for movie with multiple versions, user need to use another way to manage versions.

Quote:In the Version dialog why don't posters work? Thumbs aren't very informative.

"videoversion" is a new media type, you can add whatever arts you want for it, and the UI uses thumbnail by default is because, as all of these versions are for same movie item, so they have the same poster by default, if we use poster by default, it's hard to see any difference between them without choosing arts manually. And thumbnail also works for extras. But this can be changed. I just thought thumbnail is most suitable here.

Quote:Extras should be a seperate thing.

Not sure what kind of separation here. They are in the separate list in the dialog.
(2023-10-29, 00:24)XODIDOX Wrote: @ashlar, for the problems you mentioned, my original thought was even disabling the "Play" button in play mode, just click an item in version/extras list will play it immediately. To make the UI consistent, I enabled the "Play" button. Version management is a thing that will be done rarely, but playing is happening frequently. Why show so many buttons that won't be used when playing a video? I agree with your idea about unique UI, but management is supposed to be an advanced feature, for example, Kodi's item management menu (manage movie set/edit title, etc.) is hidden in a second level menu. I wish we could be able to do a poll or something to get more inputs for this.

For the “Manage movie version” menu, it’s used to manage version from movie title point of view, just like the movie set. The “Add version” button in version dialog is from file point of view. Are you thinking put both at the same place is a good idea? I’m not sure. Or drop the support for movie title, only using file?
The more I think about this, the more I feel that the big disconnect (for me) stems from the difference in presentation between Movie Versions and Movie Sets. When I select a Movie Set, I navigate "inside", where I see a list of movies that the set contains. I think my unconscious expectation, so far, was to have that for Movie Versions as well.

This would make the new window you created apply only to the contextual "manage" menu item (or the Versions entry in the Info window).
It would be "cleaner" and more in line with another item users are used to in Kodi (Movie Sets).

I don't know how easy/hard it would be to do it that way or if the developers agree with this, though. Or if you do, clearly :-)

(I think my idea is more or less in line with what Hitcher was describing, now that I'm re-reading it)
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Quote:The more I think about this, the more I feel that the big disconnect (for me) stems from the difference in presentation between Movie Versions and Movie Sets. When I select a Movie Set, I navigate "inside", where I see a list of movies that the set contains. I think my unconscious expectation, so far, was to have that for Movie Versions as well.
Are you saying when you entering a movie info dialog, you want to see the movie versions? This is more a UI thing, I'm not a skin creator, so very raw on this part. But I think there is no space in the dialog to show this information anymore.
(2023-10-29, 04:01)ashlar Wrote: I think my unconscious expectation, so far, was to have that for Movie Versions as well.

That is how the current implementation works.  You can navigate into your versions, open a type of version and you will see the movies you have associated with that version "inside".  See the two screenshots.

Learning Linux the hard way !!
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[New Feature] Movie version1