Team-Kodi PPA Retired; Ubuntu doesn't support Flatpak, which Linux distro is best?
I was just reading Ubuntu Team-Kodi PPA Officially Retired and since Ubuntu doesn't support Flatpak, what is the preferred Linux distribution to use with Kodi, assuming that you're using an Intel-based PC and you do not want to dedicate it solely as a media center PC (you want to be able to use Firefox and maybe do a few other things)?  Bonus points if you can still install the really old version of LIRC, that actually works both in Kodi and for other purposes outside of Kodi.
I may be completely wrong here but a quick google search led me to:
https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu

I use Windows tho so apologies if I am misunderstanding the issue.
flatpak runs fine on ubuntu 22.04 LTS and other distros based on that. I personally run LinuxMint XFCE as it is extremely lightweight and runs smooth on my low power Asus Transformer Flipbook. And because Ubuntu Kernel is signed for secure boot, can work on most laptops without messing bios settings for csm/secureboot.

The only downside to running kodi flatpak is it runs in its own isolated jail so you cannot reliably access local files on the machine from within kodi (sorta like kodi on xbox). So I just compile kodi myself as deb packages and install the packages on to the laptop.
Kodi 21 Windows 10 and 11 | 21 Xbox One X | 21 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64
Debian12 runs Kodi well.
(2024-03-29, 02:43)gujal Wrote: The only downside to running kodi flatpak is it runs in its own isolated jail so you cannot reliably access local files on the machine from within kodi (sorta like kodi on xbox).

there are solutions for that. see e.g. https://davejansen.com/give-full-filesys...lications/
(2024-03-29, 12:50)otinley Wrote: Debian12 runs Kodi well.
That might be worth a try, thanks!
(2024-03-29, 02:43)gujal Wrote: flatpak runs fine on ubuntu 22.04 LTS and other distros based on that. I personally run LinuxMint XFCE as it is extremely lightweight and runs smooth on my low power Asus Transformer Flipbook. And because Ubuntu Kernel is signed for secure boot, can work on most laptops without messing bios settings for csm/secureboot.

The only downside to running kodi flatpak is it runs in its own isolated jail so you cannot reliably access local files on the machine from within kodi (sorta like kodi on xbox). So I just compile kodi myself as deb packages and install the packages on to the laptop.

Well, I knew it was possible to install flatpak on Ubuntu, but I have three concerns about running the flatpak version of Kodi, since I don't really understand flatpaks that well.

1) Will the old version of LIRC still be able to control a flatpak-based version of Kodi?  Again, I use the old version because I use my remote to control other things besides Kodi using a .lircrc file, so any "solution" that ONLY works in Kodi is less than useless to me.

2) Will I still be able to install and use the Tvheadend PVR addon in the flatpak version, and if so, how?  That has always been a separate install using apt install, I believe (unless that has changed), so I am not sure how that would work with a flatpak.

3) Will a flatpak version of Kodi be able to access my external hard drives without changing the paths?

It's not that I have anything against flatpak, it's just very unfamiliar territory for me and I would really prefer not to break anything.

Regarding compiling, you have no idea what a disaster that has been for me in the past, I have borked an entire system (to the point of having to reformat the hard drive and start over completely from scratch) just by trying to compile a program.  I have NEVER had any success doling it unless a) someone creates a shell script that essentially does the entire job, or b) the instructions are VERY complete and assume no prior knowledge of anything.  And even then, it scares the hell out of me.
I second oldtvwatcher's fears. I'm not an expert in Linux by a long shot, so getting into compiling or flatpak is NOT an option. I've had Kodi running on Linux Mint (MATE and XFCE) for years because it makes my life simpler. Mint is simple and a well-rounded user-friendly platform. In general it just works, Kodi included (I can deal with minor hiccups every now and then).

Now that the Ubuntu PPA is dead, I'm thinking the only remaining "keep it simple" option might be Linux Mint Debian edition? Any thoughts, anyone? PLEASE Smile ?
(2024-03-30, 01:22)oldtvwatcher Wrote: Well, I knew it was possible to install flatpak on Ubuntu, but I have three concerns about running the flatpak version of Kodi, since I don't really understand flatpaks that well.

1) Will the old version of LIRC still be able to control a flatpak-based version of Kodi?  Again, I use the old version because I use my remote to control other things besides Kodi using a .lircrc file, so any "solution" that ONLY works in Kodi is less than useless to me.

2) Will I still be able to install and use the Tvheadend PVR addon in the flatpak version, and if so, how?  That has always been a separate install using apt install, I believe (unless that has changed), so I am not sure how that would work with a flatpak.

3) Will a flatpak version of Kodi be able to access my external hard drives without changing the paths?

It's not that I have anything against flatpak, it's just very unfamiliar territory for me and I would really prefer not to break anything.

Regarding compiling, you have no idea what a disaster that has been for me in the past, I have borked an entire system (to the point of having to reformat the hard drive and start over completely from scratch) just by trying to compile a program.  I have NEVER had any success doling it unless a) someone creates a shell script that essentially does the entire job, or b) the instructions are VERY complete and assume no prior knowledge of anything.  And even then, it scares the hell out of me.
I have just tried out "flatpak Kodi" and here are a few of my findings...

1) Old version of LIRC works right away.

2) All PVR add-ons come pre-installed. Simply enable and use the one you need. I use mythtv and it worked just fine, can't see why it wouldn't be the same with tvheadend

3) Out of the box, flatpak Kodi has permission to access files in the /mnt/ and /media/ directories. Unless your drives are mounted elsewhere, they should be accessible right away. If not, well it is easy to grant access to more locations.

FYI, both (native and flatpak) flavors of Kodi, each with their own configuration can coexist on the same system, meaning you can do all the tests you want without risking damaging your existing installation.

Hope it helps
(2024-04-11, 02:10)charjol Wrote:
(2024-03-30, 01:22)oldtvwatcher Wrote: Well, I knew it was possible to install flatpak on Ubuntu, but I have three concerns about running the flatpak version of Kodi, since I don't really understand flatpaks that well.

I have just tried out "flatpak Kodi" and here are a few of my findings...

1) Old version of LIRC works right away.

2) All PVR add-ons come pre-installed. Simply enable and use the one you need. I use mythtv and it worked just fine, can't see why it wouldn't be the same with tvheadend

3) Out of the box, flatpak Kodi has permission to access files in the /mnt/ and /media/ directories. Unless your drives are mounted elsewhere, they should be accessible right away. If not, well it is easy to grant access to more locations.

FYI, both (native and flatpak) flavors of Kodi, each with their own configuration can coexist on the same system, meaning you can do all the tests you want without risking damaging your existing installation.

Hope it helps
Thank you for that information, that is a big help!
I'll just toss this question out there, and I'm actually asking for someone else who uses Kodi, but is there is a distro that is better than others if you want to use the HDR support (such as it is) that comes in Kodi Omega?  Please I am not asking for long technical details because I won't understand them, but I sort of inferred from the last time I asked about this that some ??display managers?? (if that is the correct term) may offer better support than others, although HDR with Linux is still a big old can of worms.  All I am asking is, in April of 2024, is there a Linux distro that works well with the latest Kodi flatpak version to display HDR content, or at least does it reasonably well?

Again, I am only asking about a distro with HDR support to use with the Omega flatpak version.  If you post a response that contains the word "compile" I will assume you either didn't actually read my question, or that you are responding to someone else.
Basically any distro can run the flatpak. I believe the current v21 flatpak can do HDR. You would need to run kodi (the flatpak) standalone and GBM mode (---standalone --windowing=gbm), and run it in supported hardware. E.g. Intel N100 cpu. I noticed the option to turn on HDR now shows in settings, HDR media is properly identified, and playback appears to work.
(2024-03-30, 01:13)oldtvwatcher Wrote:
I also recommend the Debian 12 distribution "bookworm" . Kodi v21 Omega is in the deb-multimedia.org backport: https://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/sta...ckage/kodi
For me, deb packages are a better solution than Flatpak.
(2024-04-15, 06:41)htpcero Wrote: Basically any distro can run the flatpak. I believe the current v21 flatpak can do HDR. You would need to run kodi (the flatpak) standalone and GBM mode (---standalone --windowing=gbm), and run it in supported hardware. E.g. Intel N100 cpu. I noticed the option to turn on HDR now shows in settings, HDR media is properly identified, and playback appears to work.

Good to know, thanks!  I will pass that info along.
(2024-04-15, 12:31)Zuzia Wrote:
(2024-03-30, 01:13)oldtvwatcher Wrote:
I also recommend the Debian 12 distribution "bookworm" . Kodi v21 Omega is in the deb-multimedia.org backport: https://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/sta...ckage/kodi
For me, deb packages are a better solution than Flatpak.

Thanks.  It doesn't matter to me personally, but following up on my previous question above, do you know if running it that way will have HDR support? Again, I am passing this info along to someone else that runs Kodi and who has a 4K TV, which I do not, mine is still a dumb old 1920x1080 (and I'm fine with that!).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Team-Kodi PPA Retired; Ubuntu doesn't support Flatpak, which Linux distro is best?0