Guest - Testers are needed for the reworked CDateTime core component. See... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=378981 (September 29) x
  • 56(current)
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024
(2024-09-29, 21:41)MediaPi Wrote:
(2024-09-29, 20:50)scoobydooscollar Wrote:  
strangely enough the Minix sold out very very quick. the 2 people that bought it must be over the moon.
are they actually having a laugh? even $160 is pushing it. but us nerds understand the value of a $170 box, we know it's worth the price but $350, I don't think I can pay that , even If I had the money especially while the Sk1 is around
minix sent a box to kodi team btw
"If the announcement drops, I suspect Aliexpress will ship out a ton of SK1s" , currently in navigation the AMB6+ won't be far in snappiness to the SK1, it only offers speed boost in library stuff. so anyone with an AMB6+ has no real need to spend money to get that box?

The high price of the Minix strangely draws me to it LOL. I keep going back to look over the specs etc. figuring I have missed something or there is going to be a big reveal of something to justify being double the price of an SK1. 

I don't think many would upgrade unless they just enjoy tinkering etc. but it would be a clear way forward for new purchases.

The big what if is if the S928 gets full support and the AM6B+ gets a substantial price cut since it is getting so old or is discontinued and put on sale. Then you would have more factors to weigh on which one offers the best price/performance/longevity.
(2024-09-29, 21:56)hdmkv Wrote: The biggest con w/it is Amazon's ad-filled, cluttered UI. But, you can sideload Kodi & add it to the front of your pinned apps row for an easy one-click launch.

It's even easier than that. With the "recent" button on the remote you just use that instead of the home button, so you rarely have to even go to the home screen. You can just jump from app to app without having to go to the home screen.
Well, the Minix U8K-Ultra is now $250 on Amazon after a $50 coupon. Still not cheap but at least it looks like there is a chance of it reaching reasonable pricing. I'm sure some of the preorder people won't be too happy about that, but I guess that's the price of trailblazing.
(2024-09-29, 22:23)scoobydooscollar Wrote:
(2024-09-29, 21:56)hdmkv Wrote: The biggest con w/it is Amazon's ad-filled, cluttered UI. But, you can sideload Kodi & add it to the front of your pinned apps row for an easy one-click launch.

It's even easier than that. With the "recent" button on the remote you just use that instead of the home button, so you rarely have to even go to the home screen. You can just jump from app to app without having to go to the home screen.
Didn't know that, thanks. Cube 3 has dropped to $100 shipped on Amazon in the U.S.--lowest price I've seen for it.
So with the new update to enable Dolby Vision for the N2+ do I need to turn auto update off?  Not sure how the updates are going to work going forward.
(2024-09-30, 00:47)HeelofSteel Wrote: So with the new update to enable Dolby Vision for the N2+ do I need to turn auto update off?  Not sure how the updates are going to work going forward.

You would be using a fork of CE and no longer using official CE.
Hmmm seems the juice might not be worth the squeeze there then.  Unless that fork gets consistently updated, which I suspecting it won't then I would be missing out on potential improvements down the road from the official CE.  Not sure DV is worth that tradeoff.
(2024-09-30, 02:48)HeelofSteel Wrote: Hmmm seems the juice might not be worth the squeeze there then.  Unless that fork gets consistently updated, which I suspecting it won't then I would be missing out on potential improvements down the road from the official CE.  Not sure DV is worth that tradeoff.

It's not real DV anyways since it is missing the enhancement layers. You will need an AM6B+ for that.
(2024-09-30, 07:43)Cinephile Wrote:
(2024-09-30, 02:48)HeelofSteel Wrote: Hmmm seems the juice might not be worth the squeeze there then.  Unless that fork gets consistently updated, which I suspecting it won't then I would be missing out on potential improvements down the road from the official CE.  Not sure DV is worth that tradeoff.

It's not real DV anyways since it is missing the enhancement layers. You will need an AM6B+ for that.

Has the N2/N2+ version got shaping working in the single stream ICtCp Profile 5 stuff? That was a major limitation last time I checked.

And what is "real" DV exactly? Streaming Profile 5 is not real DV? Profile 8 for web sources is not real DV? So is only Bluray Profile 7 "real" DV, although they are all Dolby Vision HDR formats?
(2024-09-30, 11:37)Sholander Wrote:

And what is "real" DV exactly? Streaming Profile 5 is not real DV? Profile 8 for web sources is not real DV? So is only Bluray Profile 7 "real" DV, although they are all Dolby Vision HDR formats?

I'd argue the majority here use Kodi for local media playback. Profile 7 is therefore the star of the show.

Mind you, it doesn't invalidate the other profiles but to me that's like arguing lossy streaming Atmos is 'real' Atmos. Sure, they're both valid technologies but only lossless Atmos is worth the investment.
(2024-09-30, 17:16)Cinephile Wrote:
(2024-09-30, 11:37)Sholander Wrote:
(2024-09-30, 07:43)Cinephile Wrote: It's not real DV anyways since it is missing the enhancement layers. You will need an AM6B+ for that.

I'd argue the majority here use Kodi for local media playback. Profile 7 is therefore the star of the show.

Mind you, it doesn't invalidate the other profiles but to me that's like arguing lossy streaming Atmos is 'real' Atmos. Sure, they're both valid technologies but only lossless Atmos is worth the investment.
what about dolby vision from banned addons that shall not be named? asking for a friend... will we get the dv playing from those files?
they probably outnumber the legal sources 10:1
DV profiles 5 (no HDR fallback) & 8 (with HDR fallback) AFAIK are not problematic for most players that support DV.
(2024-09-29, 21:56)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-09-29, 10:41)skank1 Wrote: Hi @hdmkv
Its been a long time, glad ur alive too Smile

Anyway, looking for a mediaplayer and dont know what to do.
It should stream netflix, disney + etc in HD
It also has to do audio passthrough to get dts-hdma, atmos, truehd, dts x etc etc from nas
What do i buy nowadays?

- shield pro , dated and way to expensive for what it is
- shield tube, still date but ok price
- amazon fire 4k max (dont know this device)
- nokia streaming box (dont know this device either)

Thx for the help
Hangin' in there Wink Big Grin! Since you mention "...stream netflix, disney + etc in HD", some of the boxes in post #1 running CoreELEC should be able to. @clarkss12 would know, at least w/Netflix. I only use Prime Video, even so rarely. 99% BD/UHD rips.
(2024-09-29, 11:12)skank1 Wrote: I just read that the new google tv streamer DOES passthrough when using kodi, vlc and nova player...
What about emby?
Can someone confirm?
From what I've read, it does NOT. In fact. it looks like a subpar device by today's standards. Fire Cube 3 does HD/object-based audio passthrough & supports Netflix, D+, etc. in 4K HDR. The biggest con w/it is Amazon's ad-filled, cluttered UI. But, you can sideload Kodi & add it to the front of your pinned apps row for an easy one-click launch.

Im doubting between

- Fire cube 4k (3d gen)
- Nokia streaming 8010
- google tv streamer.
- amazon fire stick 4k max
- shield tube

Which one should i get?
Its really hard for me cause i never own a fire cube, or amazon or nokia.
Its not for me but for someone i know, i dont want hassle... so it should just work
70% for netflix 30% for own movies.
@hdmkv have you tried the boost script for Homatics Box R Plu?
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Kodi Media Player Options 20240