• 17(current)
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?
It's not that the thread gets bumped, but what is in the post. I'm not trying to put anyone down or put down this feature. I'm telling you, for your own benifit, you are not helping the request by showing how in-demand the feature is. There are far more basic media center features that Kodi is also lacking. Demand does not encourage or equal development. The only person who has shown interest in this is a dev who responds better when people aren't begging or demanding. It comes off as ungrateful, even if that was not the intent.

You can bump the thread, show interest, etc, but how you do so is important.
(2016-06-27, 19:15)Ned Scott Wrote: The only person who has shown interest in this is a dev who responds better when people aren't begging or demanding. It comes off as ungrateful, even if that was not the intent.

Thanks for the advice, Ned. I'd wanted this feature for years, and the Slashdot/Washington Post article led to me to go looking to see if it was a part of the plan.

I decided to post the link partly in response to the dozen earlier posts from people who either didn't understand why anyone would want this, and partly because I thought it was interesting that the idea was getting mainstream attention.

Perhaps because I haven't had the dedication to post 15 times a day for the last 5 years like yourself, I wasn't aware that a single post in the thread might be construed as begging or demanding, or that it could be traumatic for the developer.

Your guidance is appreciated.
Just an idea, but what about making the playback engine modular as such that its a paid version for a premium playback feature where additional features such as fast playback are supported. would make it worthwhile for devs and for those who wanted the feature, those who dont could just stick to the original playback engine.

i dont know im out of ideas.. ill drop the quest for having this feature added but will keep hope someone will eventually implement it in either kodi or emby.
FYI YouTube has had this feature for a while now. You can select playback speed under the video's Settings menu.

For me I added an external player type so when I want to watch a video at higher speed I bring up the context menu and then select "Play using...->VLC 1.5x playback speed".

Still hoping that the official Kodi will let me adjust playback speed using "]" "[" like VLC.
(2016-07-16, 19:46)18000rpm Wrote: FYI YouTube has had this feature for a while now. You can select playback speed under the video's Settings menu.

For me I added an external player type so when I want to watch a video at higher speed I bring up the context menu and then select "Play using...->VLC 1.5x playback speed".

Still hoping that the official Kodi will let me adjust playback speed using "]" "[" like VLC.

Would you mind giving some specific details? Would this work to play a youtube video in Kodi? I watch long format stuff on youtube and they really need to be sped up.
thanks
(2016-07-18, 06:42)bluenote Wrote: Would you mind giving some specific details? Would this work to play a youtube video in Kodi? I watch long format stuff on youtube and they really need to be sped up.
thanks

I don't know anything about watching YouTube videos in Kodi but I doubt you'll have the option to change the playback speed.

Here is how to do it when watching on the YouTube website http://adrianroselli.com/2014/07/changin...speed.html
(2016-07-18, 07:08)18000rpm Wrote:
(2016-07-18, 06:42)bluenote Wrote: Would you mind giving some specific details? Would this work to play a youtube video in Kodi? I watch long format stuff on youtube and they really need to be sped up.
thanks

I don't know anything about watching YouTube videos in Kodi but I doubt you'll have the option to change the playback speed.

Here is how to do it when watching on the YouTube website http://adrianroselli.com/2014/07/changin...speed.html

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm aware of the browser youtube setting. Could you give more details if how you set up your kodi with vlc?
Hi Bluenote,

This is what I added to playercorefactory.xml:

<player name="VLC 1.5x playback speed" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
<args> --fullscreen --no-qt-name-in-title --rate=1.5 --no-qt-video-autoresize --deinterlace=-1 --deinterlace-mode=linear</args>
<hidexbmc>True</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<playcountminimumtime>7200</playcountminimumtime>
</player>

Then I select a video and press "c" to bring up the context menu, then choose "Play using...->VLC 1.5x playback speed".

You can change the "1.5" above to set a different default playback speed.
I added the atempo filter to audio engine. This allows changing speed without getting chipmunk voices:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10164
(2016-07-18, 07:37)18000rpm Wrote: Hi Bluenote,

This is what I added to playercorefactory.xml:

<player name="VLC 1.5x playback speed" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
<args> --fullscreen --no-qt-name-in-title --rate=1.5 --no-qt-video-autoresize --deinterlace=-1 --deinterlace-mode=linear</args>
<hidexbmc>True</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<playcountminimumtime>7200</playcountminimumtime>
</player>

Then I select a video and press "c" to bring up the context menu, then choose "Play using...->VLC 1.5x playback speed".

You can change the "1.5" above to set a different default playback speed.

Hey thanks, I just set this up and it works. I dont suppose you have further integration tips (like using the remote)?
I set this up for my brother on the android box that i got him, since the fast forward thing was a must for him but vlc is terrible to navigate with a remote control, i thought using kodi as a front end for vlc would make things perfect. It really doesnt tho, VLC (maybe only on android?) does not play everything... not sure on where the limitation is since it will play full HD hevc files and then have a problem with some random 720 h264 movie... Where as ive not found a single file that kodi would not play. Also as blue mentioned you still need the remote to do stuff once u have the movie launched and on screen display is clumsey and ugly inside vlc. (small tip tho blue is that you can change it in vlc settings so movies always play at a set speed if you didnt already)
did anyone actually read FernetMentas post? This feature is now available in nightly builds natively. No need to external players...
Yep tried it on ios and it works. Only skin support is missing (i simply mapped it to 3 finger swipe right or a test...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
awesome, will try it out as soon as i can
(2016-08-27, 14:13)Tesz Wrote: I set this up for my brother on the android box that i got him, since the fast forward thing was a must for him but vlc is terrible to navigate with a remote control, i thought using kodi as a front end for vlc would make things perfect. It really doesnt tho, VLC (maybe only on android?) does not play everything... not sure on where the limitation is since it will play full HD hevc files and then have a problem with some random 720 h264 movie... Where as ive not found a single file that kodi would not play. Also as blue mentioned you still need the remote to do stuff once u have the movie launched and on screen display is clumsey and ugly inside vlc. (small tip tho blue is that you can change it in vlc settings so movies always play at a set speed if you didnt already)

Hi mate,

VLC player is absolute rubbish on android or iphone. if you want to use an external player on android, use BS Player. its the best ive found. MK player is next best.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?11