No analog audio on fresh install
Hi all

I have two machines running XBMC Live 10.0.. and have seperate audio problems on each. The first machine I need help with is :

HP DX5150 Desktop:
AMD 64 3000+ Processor
4GB Ram
nVidia geForce 210 w/512mb
- w/ nVidia HD audio controller
onboard audio : ATI IXP SB400 AC'97

This PC is not connected w/ HDMI, it is connected w/ DVI to a TV.
Audio is connected with a standard 3.5mm stereo audio connector to an amplifier.

When attempting to play back ANY audio file, I am unable to get any sound. I am getting the typical "failed to initialze" error message.

Currently, audio is set to analog / 2.1 & when going into the audio system settings, I have the following devices to choose from (and the results when attempting playback)

- ATI IXP iec958 (no error, no sound, video plays back very choppy after a few seconds)
- ATI IXP Defaults (failed to initialize, smooth video)
- HDA NVidia hdmi (no sound, no error, smooth video)
- HDA NVidia defaults (failed to initialize, smooth video)
- hdmi (no sound, no error, smooth video)
- iec958 (failed to initialize, smooth video)
- defaults (failed to initialize, smooth video)

I have run and installed all updates avaliable. Any thoughts? I can post a log if needed.

My 2nd machine has a different problem all together. The spec's on the 2nd machine are as follows:

P4 3.0GHz
1.5GB Ram
nVidia geForce 210 w/ 512mb
onboard audio : iec958
audio is connected via optical cable to Sony DTS/DD receiver
XBMC audio settings are optical / 7.1 / pass though enabled / iec958 as pass through device

The problem I have with this one, I can not find anything on the forum that matches what I am experiencing (apologies if I missed it!). If I choose to play back a video file that has DD or DTS, no prolem. I get full digital sound. I am able to play back most other video files that (according to XBMC) have their audio encoded as MP3 without any problems, but there are some that occasionaly come up that I am unable to get any sound for... I get the "unable to initialize" error message. Most of these files in question used to work before re-installing on a new hard drive. The previous install was Ubuntu 10.10 w/ whatever version of XBMC was out before the latest version. I don't have the install media anymore, so I am not sure. The files that do not play audio in XBMC play fine in VLC on another PC running Kubuntu 10.10 64bit.

Again, I can post logs... but if I can be told what you want to see in the log.. such as selecting and playing a file w/ DD/DTS... then an analog sound file that works... then an analog sound file that does not work...

Any thoughts.. suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No analog audio on fresh install0