Cheap Mac for development
Can someone suggest a cheap option for building and testing XBMC on OSX. I use Windows and Linux, but some of the development stuff I do affects OSX and at the moment I have no way to test on OSX. I'm thinking of looking for a suitable Mac on eBay, but I have no experience of Macs and don't know what would be a good option. I'd be looking for an Intel CPU not a PowerPC.

JR
mac mini 2009 second hand,or hackingtosch on your current PC

400$ for a mac mini

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Mini-MacMini-1-6...5643fcddae
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
I wondered about building a Hackintosh, but given that I need to check hardware dependant stuff like keyboard scan codes I think it would be better to get a real Mac. I've managed to borrow a friends iMac 24" for now. I had a quick look on eBay and iMac second hand prices seem to be amazingly high!

JR
Macs always hold their value for a long time. Nothing out of the norm to see that. There are some nice refurbished MacBook Pros on the Apple Store right now.

I'd stay away from the Hackintosh route, you can spend tons of time and effort diddling around with them.
Hi Davilla,

Open a paypal account and let the community buy you one.
If every user payed 5 euro which uses xbmc on there mac on a daily base then you should be fine. I'll donate 10 as a starter, I also have problems on 24p with sound sync so that would be great.

Regards!
Think you've got the wrong person. Davilla doesn't want the new mac (well in this post context), the op does.

Anyway you can make donations to the XBMC foundation, the foundation has the ability to loan developers hardware.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
nickx Wrote:Hi Davilla,

Open a paypal account and let the community buy you one.
If every user payed 5 euro which uses xbmc on there mac on a daily base then you should be fine. I'll donate 10 as a starter, I also have problems on 24p with sound sync so that would be great.

Regards!

hehe, I have a paypal account and have accepted donations but it's really a lost cause, last donation to it was several months ago for 1$ Smile
Sorry to disappoint but the word cheap and mac does not really go hand in hand.

Your best bet is the OSX86project (Hackintosh). If all your current hardware is compatible it will be the cheapest mac you will ever get.
http://www.osx86project.org/
BigBadBaz Wrote:Sorry to disappoint but the word cheap and mac does not really go hand in hand.

Your best bet is the OSX86project (Hackintosh). If all your current hardware is compatible it will be the cheapest mac you will ever get.
http://www.osx86project.org/

And he's already said why he doesn't want to do that. "IF" all your current hardware is compatible... which sometimes it isn't.

If it's just for keypresses and such, you can find an old Intel Core Solo that would probably work just fine.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
nickx Wrote:Open a paypal account and let the community buy you one.

I think Davilla already has a Mac. Actually even a dyed in the wool Win32 hacker like me does own one Mac, a Mac Mini, but I run Bootcamp/WinXP on it :-)

However, I urgently need a Porsche 911 to help with my XBMC development if anyone would like to contribute to that.

JR
cant help you with 911 but I can help with testing on osx Smile , just ping me ... i dont have a habit of checking pull requests, so irc or mail

cheers,
amet
Thanks, your help was invaluable in checking that my keyboard hacking worked on OSX :-)

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap Mac for development0