what refresh rate do i set my computer to?? confused.
Hi guys,

Ok, so i'm wondering. I have a 100hz LCD full 1080p HDTV in my bedroom, however this TV is only capable of a maximum 60hz at FULL 1080p. I have an Asus eb1501 ion based HTPC running windows 7 and XBMC (of course)

I store all my movies and media on my server and stream to several rooms in the house. The movies (Pretty much all HD .mkv's) play back at 23.976fps.

So, what is the best refresh rate i should set my computer to display? 60hz being that MAX i can acheive (in this case)

it's to my understanding that the refresh rate should be set the same as (or multiple of) the fps rate, is this correct??

if this is the case, i set my refresh rate at 24hz in the NVidia Control Panel, i get stutter when moving through the user interface of XBMC, but playing movies back at 23.976 seem fine in this case with little to no horizontal pan stutter.

If i make my own custom resolution at 48hz (48hz being a multiple of 24hz), the UI stutter goes away but am i doing this all wrongHuh

The reason i ask, i would like to get Movies to look as smooth as possible.
Should i apply any sync options in XBMC??
Should i apply ''auto adjust refresh rate" ??

What should i do?

Thanks in advance.
Loggio.
Usually you'd set the PC to refresh at 60Hz or something like that so the menus etc display smoothly. Then enable the adjust refresh rate option. This will switch the refresh rate when a video is playing so it matches the film you're playing.

If 48Hz works then that seems a good solution so I'd just stick with that.

JR
As jhsrennie said use the adjust refresh rate option, as for what rate to run XBMC while in the GUI I personally use 50Hz as most plasma/lcd will actually run at 100Hz when this is selected if you run 60Hz the screen stays at 60Hz

You get much less flicker if the screen is running at 100Hz some don't notice but I do
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what refresh rate do i set my computer to?? confused.0