Xbmc on Samsung Web Enabled Tv's
Hi Guys

Could there be an app for xbmc for samsung web enabled tv's, the reason for asking is I see someone has implemented a version for plex just wondered what people's thoughts are

Paul Rolleyes
In general I think it's a great idea to have XBMC run on the TV directly instead of having a external box. The Samsung TV's (and LG, and probably others) run Linux already, so it's not completely out of the question. It would require some serious hacking of the TV firmware, which is a difficult and potentially expensive endeavor - but pretty cool.
Specifically you are asking for a XBMC app that runs within the existing TV software framework. I suppose that would be possible - but it would probably be less of an XBMC port, and more of a XBMC style interface.
We are already seeing TV's with HTPC functionality (apps for Netflix, Hulu, weather, etc.) so I think it's a matter of time before some manufacturers partner up and include Boxee/Plex/GoogleTV/XBMC inside their TV firmware.
Personally, all I want is a shell prompt and an SDK, but I am not holding my breath for that Smile
They don't really run Plex... at least not the Plex forked from XBMC. It's a front end to the closed source Plex protocol from the Plex server.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Yep I know but it is pretty cool you can get the interface on the tv. Just something for the future but I think it would bring xbmc to a whole new audience and that is what it's all about, this is by far the best software out there.

Paul
paul elder Wrote:Yep I know but it is pretty cool you can get the interface on the tv. Just something for the future but I think it would bring xbmc to a whole new audience and that is what it's all about, this is by far the best software out there.

Paul

I don't know about that. XBMC is amazing (to me) because MPlayer is amazing. You can throw pretty much any content you can imagine at XBMC, and it plays it properly. That, in my opinion, is the killer feature of XBMC. The UI is nice, but nothing that other products don't have.
XBMC as an app inside of another framework loses MPLayer, and instead depends on the framework to play media. That's why I'm lukewarm on the idea, and why I personally wouldn't spend my time developing it.
I agree with that it can play almost anything but for me it has the best ui I have seen and I have used a few different programmes. I think this year hopefully with Eden coming, and more products being supported hopefull it can only get better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc on Samsung Web Enabled Tv's0