Buy now or wait for Llano for HTPC/Fileserver
Hello, im very close to buying a HTPC/Fileserver like i mention in the topic. It will use xbmc and utorrent so most stuff gets downloaded by itself. The question now is what hardware to use. I havnt decided for Linux or Windows yet, but its leaning towards Windows to start with anyway, but its not written in stone yet.

But if we are talking hardware i havnt really settled for what system to use. Im pretty sure i will go with a Fractal Design Array R2 just because it will look good next to my tv, and it has a lot of 3.5 slots for future adding(going to start with 2x2tb). I was looking at the Asus E35M1-I Deluxe for a really long time, it has everything i will need. After a while i started looking at the i3 2105 + mobo, which is both a better processor and has a better build in gpu, but do i need it? Then i also got my eyes at the Llano that is coming any day now. If i remember correctly from the test the i3 is still a better CPU, but the graphic part is better on the Llano, what prices will the low end land on? The question is though, will i need more power then i get from the Fusion?

And if we compare the asus board with the Asrock 350, the asus is a better pick i guess? Completely silent and wlan for about 25$ more in sweden.

Hoping for some good answers!
All 3 are good options for a HTPC with downloading. Totally depends on your budget and preferences....

But if you like silent and cheap, I would go for the ASUS. As you mention, a little more expensive for 2 important features (compared to asrock).

On win, all the options (i3, Fusion, Llano) will do the job.
If you are using your HTPC for more than playing back videos i would bypass the e-350. Early indications are that the Llano will be somewhat overpriced but if you aren't in a big hurry it might not hurt to at least wait until they hit the streets to find out.
Melons Wrote:Buy now or wait for Llano for HTPC/Fileserver

If you're not really that in a hurry, it wouldn't hurt to wait for Llano. It blows away any purely sandy bridge based setup, image quality wise:

Which is what a HTPC is mainly about, isn't it?

The model tested, in the figure above, is a 35w (max) notebook model.

Unfortunately the desktop models only come in 65W, and up, flavours. If power usage is of no concern, buy a desktop Llano model. Socket FM1 boards already are on their way:

ASRock A75M-ITX (mITX)
Asus F1A75-I (Deluxe) (mITX)
ECS A75F-A (ATX)
Gigabyte A75-UD4H (ATX)
Gigabyte A75M-UD2H (mATX)
MSI A75MA-G55 (mATX)
Sapphire Pure Platinum A75 (ATX)

If power usage is of concern: Well, maybe AMD will release notebook alike Llano models for the FM1 socket, or maybe there will become socket FS1 boards available.

Another option: Lock the multiplier in a much lower state in the BIOS on a desktop model, and you'd essentialy have a notebook model.

Llano desktop models are just around the corner, since it has already appeared in some webshops:

And it will probably be cheaper than the prices in the figure directly above, since it seems to be quite an expensive webshop (as a quick compare to newegg learned).

In short: Worth the wait.
Mallet21 Wrote:If you are using your HTPC for more than playing back videos i would bypass the e-350. Early indications are that the Llano will be somewhat overpriced but if you aren't in a big hurry it might not hurt to at least wait until they hit the streets to find out.

Indeed it will do some more things then just act as a HTPC, which is why i havnt orded the ASUS 350 card yet. The i3 is just on another level when it comes to the CPU.

-EaS- Wrote:If power usage is of concern: Well, maybe AMD will release notebook alike Llano models for the FM1 socket, or maybe there will become socket FS1 boards available.

You will have the E model which will have either 18 or 22w and the top model at 65w.

The problem with these are that they have no release date yet. Desktop models are june 30. So im guessing mid july if we are really lucky?

Btw, doesnt the 350 have a HD 6310 already? Are they using the same graphics for the 3 lower models then going 6320 on the 450?
Melons Wrote:You will have the E model which will have either 18 or 22w and the top model at 65w.

The models you mention, the E-series, are actually models based on the Bobcat core. The same as used in Asus E35M1-I Deluxe for example. You can see that the sockets also differ. FM1 for Llano, and FT1 for the bobcat based versions.

Quote:The problem with these are that they have no release date yet. Desktop models are june 30. So im guessing mid july if we are really lucky?

Could very well be right, as some Llano models have already appeared in webshops.

Quote:Btw, doesnt the 350 have a HD 6310 already? Are they using the same graphics for the 3 lower models then going 6320 on the 450?

What you noticed is correct, that is because they're actually the same! As you will notice the only difference between 6310 and 6320 are just some slightly higher clocks on the GPU part.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buy now or wait for Llano for HTPC/Fileserver0