Help with first HTPC
Hi,

I have been reading posts for days and finally registered today because I need help.

I am planning my first HTPC. Thanks to all who have posted threads describing their systems. Even with all that information I still need help.

I have come up with a system that I think will be OK but would appreciate comments.

The system will be used for:
* 1080p playback
* video from blueray player
* video from internal harddisk and NAS
* future DVR
I hope I can have complete control of power on/off and XBMC by a DirecTV compatible IR remote.

System:
MB: Intel BOXDH67GDB3 (microATX)
CPU: Pentium G620 2.6GHz
GPU: either ASUS ENGT430 (GT430 - 1GB RAM)
or ASUS EN210 Silent (GE210 - 1GB RAM)
PS: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D
Cooler: Scythe Big Suriken SCBSK-1000
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 2x2GB 1333
IR: Inteset CIR receiver (see here)
BR: Samsung SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L/RSBP
HDD: ??
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2/30GB
Case: Silverstone ML03B
or Windows 7 (either Home Premimum or Pro)
or XBMC Live?

Is the M/B and CPU OK? I have read about the 24 fps problem with Sandy Bridge chipset and i3/i5 CPUs. Does this problem exist only when the CPU is used for video? Does the same problem exist for the SB chipset and Pentium CPUs using a GPU?

Would the Pentium Dual-Core G620T be a better choice?

Which GPU? I think the GE210 would be OK for me (no immediate plans for 3D) but I am concerned about the size of the heatsink on the EN210. It is really high. Will it fit OK? The ENGT430 looks thinner and may be easier to put into the case.

I can't find power requirements for all of the stuff. Is the PSU big enough?

Is the cooler needed? Will there be problems with heat if I don't use one?

Which OS? I don't currently have Windows 7 so I don't want to spend money for it unless it will make a significant difference.
EDIT: After more reading, I am confused about XBMC Live. Is this an alternative to another OS or is it a form of Linux? If I use the PC just for XBMC, can I drop Windows and just use XBMC Live?

What M/B? Will it be difficult to install everything in the ML03B case? Would a miniITX board make it a lot easier? If so, how about the Intel BOXDH67CFB3?

What HDD? I have not read anything about hard drives on this forum. Maybe I have not looked hard enough. I would expect there are significant differences in noise and vibration, and maybe data buffering. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Have I overlooked anything else I might need to know?

Thanks again for all the great information on this forum. I would be very reluctant to build my own system without the great help found here.
Seems like most posts get a response or two within a few hours so I guess I need to try something different ...

Maybe I can try just a few questions at a time. Sure would appreciate some help because I don't know very much about this stuff.

I guess there is no 24 fps problem with a Pentium G620 on a MB with the Sandy Bridge chipset. Please tell me if this is wrong.

Will the ASUS EN210 Silent fit into the ML03B case? The heatsink looks really tall.

Is the Antex PSU big enough? Is it too big? I have read PSU don't work well if they are much too big.
24Hz issue is not present if using a GPU card...

gt210 will fit in your case...
its a low profile card...

380w is plenty for you
and fits perfectly in your case

keep a microATX motherboard....

u could buy the MSI board however...
check in my signature for eskro htpc guide...
Hi eskro, thanks for the reply.

I checked the MSI and ASUS boards but chose Intel because of the LAN chipset and because of the CIR header. I read reviews from a few people who were really down on the Realtek LAN chipset. I don't know if they are wrong, too picky or what.

Will the PC be OK without the cooler?

Can you point me to some recommendations on IR receivers and what to look out for?
EDIT: I am looking for an IR receiver that connects to the CIR header. I think that is needed for power up. Is this right?
Please excuse me for replying again to bump my post up. I guess my early morning posts get lost later in the day.

Can anyone give me some guidance on the cooler and an IR receiver?

Thanks.
Cooler is probably not needed. Modern processors run extremely cool these days provided you are not overclocking. The question you should be asking though is if the stock sandybridge cooler provides enough clearance for that case. It should, but I do not have that case so I can't answer.
stock cooler will fit in that case,,
You only need the Scythe Big Suriken if you find the
the stock cooler noisy,,,

powering ON and OFF your HTPC is a different story,,,
it seems a feature many search for,,,
however, why not just let the PC sleep after lets say 5 minutes,
and the wake it up whit your remote...

the remote that came with my CASE can power ON and OFF my HTPC,,,
my case is the ANTEC MICRO FUSION 350
and comes with an LCD screen thats also an IR receiver...
Thanks for the info.

Eskro, what is the IR receiver connected to? If connected to the MB, is there a BIOS setting that enables power on by IR?
my LCD screen is connected to one of my USB2 headers....

then, it also required to be plugged to the PSU for power....

i believe its this thing here i have http://www.directron.com/basic.html?gsear=1
Thanks eskro.

The thing you pointed to looks like the Antec Multimedia Station Basic case. The site says it is on sale for only $17. Is that real? I could not find any dimensions, even on the Antec website, so its hard to know whether I could use it.
EDIT: Duh. Now I get it. This thing is an IR receiver that is designed to fit in a drive bay.

Looks like I have to do a lot more research for the IR part.
mounts in external 3.5" drive bay.,,,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with first HTPC0