No audio in 11.04 with gt 430/hdmi
I was running a radeon on my ubuntu/xbmc, but was getting tearing in 1080p videos so I purchased an EVGA Nvidia gt 430.

I can get audio using aplay -D plughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav but not in xbmc

I've followed about 10 threads on getting it running, and am stuck. No audio in xbmc.

Here's some info:
It is connected via an HDMI cable on my Sony 55" TV.
I'm booting to xbmc, not gnome
Ubuntu 11.04
installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.21.run
alsamixer . F6 shows "HDA Nvidia". which I select. Then shows 4 sets of 00, which when I hit up and down arrows are stuck on 00.
Alsa version Version 1.0.24.
Linux htpc01 2.6.38-8-generic-pae #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 05:17:09 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
HDA NVidia at 0xfb080000 irq 17

xbmc settings for audio are currently:
Audio Output: HDMI
speaker configuration: 5.1 (saw this somewhere. not sure why not 2.0)
boost volume: on
AC3: on
DTS: on
audio output device: GF108 High Definition audio controller digital stereo hdmi
passthrough output device: hdmi

So the card is working under aplay, I just cant seem to get audio in xbmc. what should I try?
did you try

audio output device: custom
Custom Audio Device plughw:0,7
passthrough output device: custom
Custom Audio Device plughw:0,7

?

this works for me
thanks. that worked. I guess for all I know it might have been working the whole time. I still dont have xbmc sounds like when you switch menu options, but the movies themselves have sound now.

woot!
leorik Wrote:thanks. that worked. I guess for all I know it might have been working the whole time. I still dont have xbmc sounds like when you switch menu options, but the movies themselves have sound now.

woot!
Put this in your ~/.asoundrc:

Code:
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card NVidia
    device 7
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card NVidia
}
Maybe change hw to plughw, since you TV probably won't support all bit depths and frequencies.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=803...tcount=124

Hope this helps in some form.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
LB06 Wrote:Put this in your ~/.asoundrc:

Code:
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card NVidia
    device 7
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card NVidia
}
Maybe change hw to plughw, since you TV probably won't support all bit depths and frequencies.

hrmmm. i tried what you posted and with type plughw

no xbmc sounds still. What uses .asoundrc ? Maybe I forgot to install something?
That's not what he said. He said "type hw".

I'd also change "card" to "card 0" just to be sure.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Check in your skin settings if navigation sounds are enabled.
darkscout Wrote:That's not what he said. He said "type hw".

He said "Maybe change hw to plughw"

I may be stupid, but when I read this, I read this as changing "hw" to "plughw". I don't see it any other way.
LB06 Wrote:Check in your skin settings if navigation sounds are enabled.

great idea. checked. on 2/3 which for me is skin default.
leorik Wrote:He said "Maybe change hw to plughw"

I may be stupid, but when I read this, I read this as changing "hw" to "plughw". I don't see it any other way.
That is what I meant yes.
leorik Wrote:hrmmm. i tried what you posted and with type plughw

no xbmc sounds still. What uses .asoundrc ? Maybe I forgot to install something?

if by audio in XBMC you mean navigation sounds there's a sort of universal solution that seems to work for all

create a /etc/asound.conf with

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
  slave {
   pcm "hdmi"
  }
}
And I would almost bet despite you being on natty that this is gonna work.

Its worth a shot and should work.

I still to see any .asoundrc fix navigation sounds even if nav sounds are enabled in XBMC skin.

Cheers.
X3lectric Wrote:if by audio in XBMC you mean navigation sounds there's a sort of universal solution that seems to work for all

create a /etc/asound.conf with

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
  slave {
   pcm "hdmi"
  }
}
And I would almost bet despite you being on natty that this is gonna work.

Its worth a shot and should work.

I still to see any .asoundrc fix navigation sounds even if nav sounds are enabled in XBMC skin.

Cheers.

thanks. yeah the navigation sounds. Movie sound works. Music sound works.

I tried this too and no luck. This is the 4th .asound configuration I've tried. I'm beginiing to think whatever uses this file isnt installed. I made sure it's in my ~/ and I made sure it has the right permissions. I've made sure that sounds are enabled in xbmc.
Just for clarification: ~ means the homedir of the current user. So if your username is leorik and you run XBMC as leorik you probably have to create this file in /home/leorik/.asoundrc

Or put it in the global /etc/asound.conf like X3 said. The app/lib that uses these files is ALSA and that's installed for sure.
leorik Wrote:thanks. yeah the navigation sounds. Movie sound works. Music sound works.

I tried this too and no luck. This is the 4th .asound configuration I've tried. I'm beginiing to think whatever uses this file isnt installed. I made sure it's in my ~/ and I made sure it has the right permissions. I've made sure that sounds are enabled in xbmc.

I said the location the file is VERY specific and it really matters. you have wrong path.

/etc/asound.conf != ~/asound.conf those are not same location like LB06 is reminding you and you should at least mind that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio in 11.04 with gt 430/hdmi0