[Linux]How to verify hardware Acceleration on Linux?
Hi I enabled hardware acceleration using VDPAU on my Linux box running Kubuntu Natty.

I want to verify whether XBMC is actually using hardware acceleration. I checked using O option to see the onscreen display and the video section shows dc:ff-mpeg4 does that mean its not using the VDPAU?

Am running the 10.1 XBMC for Maverick as Natty port is still not available.
  • Hardware is LED 40" 1920x1080
  • Nvidia GTX 560 graphics card with latest driver (280.13)

Thanks
Cybeh
I just checked my system using the "O" option and below is what I get:

Code:
dc:ff-h264_vdpau-vdpau

Do you have libvdpau1 installed?

Jerry
yes indeed your missing libvdpau1
Hi, I do have libvdpau1 installed 0.4.1-2ubuntu1 Eek

Do i need the development library installed as well??

Cybeh
and you have to enable vdpau acceleration enabled on xbmc settings.

When you install libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev installs anyway.
I just did an apt-get update on my system and vdpau is broken after the nvidia update. I'm hoping that it resolves after the next update.

Ubuntu 10.04.3

Nvidia 275.19
Subtitles - Serious Business
bmfrosty Wrote:I just did an apt-get update on my system and vdpau is broken after the nvidia update. I'm hoping that it resolves after the next update.

Ubuntu 10.04.3

Nvidia 275.19

280.13 stable drivers there and 0.4.1 vdapu absolute latestes stable.

https://launchpad.net/%7Eteam-iquik thres several ppas each with own stuff but the video one is what you looking for.

AFter adding ppas just do a sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1
cybeh Wrote:Hi I enabled hardware acceleration using VDPAU on my Linux box running Kubuntu Natty.

I want to verify whether XBMC is actually using hardware acceleration. I checked using O option to see the onscreen display and the video section shows dc:ff-mpeg4 does that mean its not using the VDPAU?

Am running the 10.1 XBMC for Maverick as Natty port is still not available.
  • Hardware is LED 40" 1920x1080
  • Nvidia GTX 560 graphics card with latest driver (280.13)

Thanks
Cybeh

incorrect xbmc for natty IS AVAILABLE on xbmc unstable ppa. Much better than 10.1 stable. This maverick hack workaround is the pits, it only works with some machines and setups not everyone.
X3lectric Wrote:280.13 stable drivers there and 0.4.1 vdapu absolute latestes stable.

https://launchpad.net/%7Eteam-iquik thres several ppas each with own stuff but the video one is what you looking for.

AFter adding ppas just do a sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1

Reboot fixed it. The apt-get had installed it, but I guess XBMC hadn't picked up the new driver.
Subtitles - Serious Business
X3lectric Wrote:incorrect xbmc for natty IS AVAILABLE on xbmc unstable ppa. Much better than 10.1 stable. This maverick hack workaround is the pits, it only works with some machines and setups not everyone.

X3lectric am not having any issues what so ever with Maveric port. But as you are saying unstable ppa is working fine or better than Maverick I'll try that off today itself. Hope that will resolve the VDPAU issue as well.

Does it have to do anything with, as Nvidia drivers and card were installed after XBMC have been running for months? Just a wild guess.

Can you please share the unstable ppa repository link?

Cheers,
Cybeh
I said that the unstable ppa is working better than 10.1, not maverick, in any case its fully reversible.

im pretty sure installing card months after had some influence specially if you didn't configure it and install proper drivers.

As for ppa would you mind googling for xbmc unstable ppa

cheers.

I have serious doubts that libvdpau is packaged for natty in a revision that is not as old as my grandmother.
Well how have you installed 280.13? If you've just downloaded the .pkg and ran it from there it's entirely possible that VDPAU support wasn't compiled it. The least you needed for that was libvdpau-dev. The -dev packages are required when you want to link against that library when compiling.

But I would suggest that if you indeed did it this way, that you completely remove the drivers and execute the following commands:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install nvidia-current

If the last fails or complains about deps, it's probably already installed and contains an older version of the nvidia drivers (probably the ones from the official Natty repo (270.x or so)). Then issue:

Code:
sudo aptitude upgrade nvidia-current

P.S. replace aptitude by apt-get if necessary.

Also, there's absolutely no need for a newer version of libvdpau1 than the one from the Natty repos (which you've already installed). No need to upgrade it. If you use a PPA there's also no need to have libvdpau-dev installed (contrary to what X3 says it doesn't install automatically, but not that it hurts to have it installed). Only the packager of the PPA would have needed that one. libvdpau1 will suffice. Also iQuik is for Karmic/Lucid only. Natty/Maverick users should just use x-swat/X Updates (official Ubuntu PPA).

You can also install the libvdpau-dev and rerun the installer. It'll probably work, but I recommend against it, because you might have to rerun it (or dkms) every time you get a kernel upgrade (even a minor one).
LB I installed the latest Nvidia drivers using just the method you mentioned above.

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install nvidia-current

This installed the latest version of Nvidia at that time 275.x I suppose, now recently I got a prompt for software upgrade and it updated the nvidia-current to its latest version 280.13.

I tried installing the development libraries for libvdpau but its still not using the hardware acceleration.

I'll try reinstalling XBMC with the same stable maveric ppa, then if it wont work I'll install the unstable ppa. Lets see how it goes, will keep you guys posted.

Cheers,
Cybeh
Have you rebooted? Vdpau should also work with 10.1-STABLE. I doubt upgrading XBMC itself will fix that. In any case, I suggest you get VDPAU to work before attempting to upgrade XBMC.

Also, install mplayer and do:

Code:
mplayer -vo vdpau /path/to/bla.mkv

Just to check if vdpau works at all.
LB,

vdpau works, that's a good news lets see if it works with the unstable PPA install coz I tried reinstalling the maveric port and its the same story.

Code:
Playing Insidious.2011.720p.avi.
AVI file format detected.
[aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
[aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
AVI: ODML: Building ODML index (2 superindexchunks).
VIDEO:  [XVID]  1280x536  12bpp  23.976 fps  3501.8 kbps (427.5 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
Software: VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.3 | www.virtualdub-fr.org || (build 2550/release)
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 448.0 kbit/29.17% (ratio: 56000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [ffac3] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AC-3)
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
[mpeg4 @ 0x13e6ce0]Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
Movie-Aspect is 2.39:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [vdpau] 1280x536 => 1280x536 Planar YV12
A:  59.3 V:  59.3 A-V: -0.009 ct: -0.026 1423/1423  9%  7%  0.9% 1 0

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: sleep_timer
A:  59.4 V:  59.4 A-V:  0.001 ct: -0.026 1424/1424  9%  7%  0.9% 1 0
Exiting... (Quit)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux]How to verify hardware Acceleration on Linux?0