AVT2 stuttering with 1080 planet earth
I have the nightie build and 4.2.2 iOS ATV2 connected to WD My Book Live using NFS and CAT5. Writting and reading files from WD My Book Live to window are about 55MBps and 45MBps respectively.

All content 720P/1080P play perfectly on AVT2 except Planet Earth in 1080P with spec shown below. it stutters badly using SMB or NFS. This same content plays fine using WDTVLive Plus connected to the same network. so it seems the network is not the issue.

I ran TOP command it showed that CPU usage was over 95% and sometime over 100%. This indicate ATV2 hardware is reaching its limit?

Codec: x264
Bitrate: ~11-12 Mbit/s (peaks at ~40Mbit)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Framerate: 23.976fps
Length: ~50-53 mins

Audio:
Codec: AC3
Bitrate: 448 kbit/s
Channels: 5.1
foxnews Wrote:I have the nightie build and 4.2.2 iOS ATV2 connected to WD My Book Live using NFS and CAT5. Writting and reading files from WD My Book Live to window are about 55MBps and 45MBps respectively.

All content 720P/1080P play perfectly on AVT2 except Planet Earth in 1080P with spec shown below. it stutters badly using SMB or NFS. This same content plays fine using WDTVLive Plus connected to the same network. so it seems the network is not the issue.

I ran TOP command it showed that CPU usage was over 95% and sometime over 100%. This indicate ATV2 hardware is reaching its limit?

Codec: x264
Bitrate: ~11-12 Mbit/s (peaks at ~40Mbit)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Framerate: 23.976fps
Length: ~50-53 mins

Audio:
Codec: AC3
Bitrate: 448 kbit/s
Channels: 5.1

Have you tried turning off AC3/DTS?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=862...stcount=41
I will now refuse to answer any posts that reference "Planet Earth" or killa on iOS or OSX platform.
davilla Wrote:I will now refuse to answer any posts that reference "Planet Earth" or killa on iOS or OSX platform.

what is wrong with these movies?

from what I read, AVT2 can do hardware decode movie with Codec: x264, which is the codec planet earth has.
chuckles Wrote:Have you tried turning off AC3/DTS?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=862...stcount=41

I will try when I get home.
the "Planet Earth" will not work on the ATV2. It will NEVER work on the ATV2. It will NEVER work on the vast majority of devices with hardware decoding (to date, at least). It's a clip designed to be a brutal test on video playback. Unless you find that specific clip to be entertaining then there is no issue. Anyone encoding actual movies to the same spec as Planet Earth do not know what they are doing and probably should be shot.

So there ya go :D
planet earth? sounds like a hardware raper ... have to get that one and delete it directly after downloading Big Grin
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
my $90 WDTVLive plays Planet Earth smoothly. WDTVLIVE is not a superior or premium hardware by any mean. if WD can do it, why can't other hardware?
foxnews Wrote:my $90 WDTVLive plays Planet Earth smoothly. WDTVLIVE is not a superior or premium hardware by any mean. if WD can do it, why can't other hardware?

Because whatever hardware decoding chip it has is one of the few that can handle the file. Different companies make different chips, and sometimes one chip can handle something another can't even if they're pretty much equal over-all.

This might be a big shocker here but raw playback power is not an ATV2 strength. For starters the ATV2 is only hardware decoding ONE codec. It plays video back in 720 and lacks USB ports. I have an $80 Cinema Tube player that outputs 1080, has USB ports, and decodes more HD codecs. It sits in a box on my shelf. Why? Because there's more to a media center than a few raw specs.

ATV2 can handle XBMC's fantastic GUI and add-ons. It does stylized subtitles. It has more streaming services available via XBMC than any other non-PC media box. and more. That is what makes it a better box.
foxnews Wrote:my $90 WDTVLive plays Planet Earth smoothly. WDTVLIVE is not a superior or premium hardware by any mean. if WD can do it, why can't other hardware?

Just curious, you streaming or usb?
foxnews Wrote:IWD can do it, why can't other hardware?

Man i hate suche kind of questions ... Just think one second before asking something like that. No

(hint: You can compare a porsche to a ferrari. When going faster then 150 km/h the porsche will lift his rear spoiler - the ferarri won't. Why does the ferrari not has an automated spoiler he? Its unbelievable! This can't be! It has to be somewhere! Ferrari is a liar...)

nvm Confused
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
onizuka Wrote:Just curious, you streaming or usb?

both work fine. WDTVLive streams from WD My BOOK live using SMB.
Memphiz Wrote:Man i hate suche kind of questions ... Just think one second before asking something like that. No

(hint: You can compare a porsche to a ferrari. When going faster then 150 km/h the porsche will lift his rear spoiler - the ferarri won't. Why does the ferrari not has an automated spoiler he? Its unbelievable! This can't be! It has to be somewhere! Ferrari is a liar...)

nvm Confused

I don't know much about car, and I don't understand your analogy.

many said that Planet Earth is encoded in such a way that not many streamers can decode. an average streamer like WDTVLIVE with an budget cost can stream Planet earth with ease. Apple hardware is considered as one of the best. if WDTVLIVE is a Honda Civic, apple ATV2 should be BMW or better.

Is ATV2 hardware not on the same bar with WDTV? or software is not efficient or does not utilize the hardware well enough?
Is it because XBMC runs on top of iOS as an app, not built-in? Where decoder is fully integrated in WDTVLIVE.
foxnews Wrote:I don't know much about car, and I don't understand your analogy.

many said that Planet Earth is encoded in such a way that not many streamers can decode. an average streamer like WDTVLIVE with an budget cost can stream Planet earth with ease. Apple hardware is considered as one of the best. if WDTVLIVE is a Honda Civic, apple ATV2 should be BMW or better.

Is ATV2 hardware not on the same bar with WDTV? or software is not efficient or does not utilize the hardware well enough?
Is it because XBMC runs on top of iOS as an app, not built-in? Where decoder is fully integrated in WDTVLIVE.

I refer you to my previous post in this thread. However, I will try and give some additional clarification.

Let's break this down:

Quote:an average streamer like WDTVLIVE with an budget cost can stream Planet earth with ease. Apple hardware is considered as one of the best.

First: They practically cost the same amount of money! There's a $10 difference between them. And who told you that Apple hardware is considered the best? Again, I refer you to my previous post. A few select raw specs are not the total value of the product. The ATV2 is not as good as the WDTV when it comes to raw hardware video decoding. The ATV2 kicks the WDTV's ass in other ways, but not that one.

Quote:Is it because XBMC runs on top of iOS as an app, not built-in? Where decoder is fully integrated in WDTVLIVE.
I'm no programmer but that is not how it works... The "decoder" in both the ATV2 and the WDTV are hardware. Both the ATV2 and the WDTV run software that interacts with the hardware. Neither is more "integrated" than the other. IIRC, the WDTV Live is running some sort of linux variant. The reason the ATV2 can't play back "Planet Earth" is because of the hardware video decoder in the ATV2. It has nothing to do with software.
foxnews Wrote:I don't know much about car, and I don't understand your analogy.

Now i get why you don't understand this. You seem to think that the price and the name of the manufacturer is a sign for the used components in the manufacturers products. But thats wrong.

WDTV decided to pick another hardware decoder then apple. Itwas allways intended to be used on a fullhd tv. Remember - the AppleTV2 has nearly the same hardware as a iphone and ipad and ipod. So when developing these i don't think apple had in mind to use this hardware inside of a TV box. And even if they planned it - they just did an average way which fits both needs - but not to the specific tv needs.
Manufacturers allways have do decisions according to package size of electronic components and heat development and such things. Now take an iphone and hold it against your wdtv - see the size difference? Thats why apple needed some low power cpu for getting as little heat as possible in that small iphone case ...

thats only one possible point. Another could be - apple needs millions of that chips so they needed a cheap constellation of high production output and good reliability ...

For your car analogy - honda civic is much more reliable then a bmw ... bmw has to go for a mechanic when you want to change the light bulbs - on honda you can change yourself ... wired world he?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AVT2 stuttering with 1080 planet earth0