MySQL vs. filesystem
Just wondering if there is any advantage in using MySQL instead of the filesystem in an environment with a single instance of XBMC (ATV2)?

My XBMC directory is backed up daily with rsync and is roughly 350 MB in size...

Enlighten me please! Smile
Not unless you want to prepare for the future with multiple units in your house. Storing thumbnails/fan art on a server can be done separate from mysql sharing if the XBMC directory becomes too big. You just use Path Substitution: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=837103&postcount=2
Thanks Ned, I'll try the path substitution for sure...

Judging by your answer, there shouldn't be a way to export an existing library into a database and it has to be re-created from scratch when the time comes. Am I right in assuming this?

Thanks again
bbk79 Wrote:Thanks Ned, I'll try the path substitution for sure...

Judging by your answer, there shouldn't be a way to export an existing library into a database and it has to be re-created from scratch when the time comes. Am I right in assuming this?

Thanks again

Actually no you can export your library to file, then import that into your mysql library
ie.
1. Export library
2. close xbmc
3. add mysql setting to advancedsettings.xml
4. load xbmc
5. import exported data into library (now in mysql)
I have xbmc on a windows xp machine. I have just added 2 ATV2 to the network and will jailbreak and install xbmc on them as well.

Can I export all the metadata from the xbmc on PC the ATV2s so I don't have to scan all the content again? Is it better in this case to set up the sql server? I don't care to pause play in one room and resume in another, nor do I care if they all show different info as far as watched or not watched. All I want is a centralized location for all the thumbnails, fanart, etc. It would also be great if I didn't have to update each device when I add something new to the shared folders.

From chuckles' post, it appears I can use the mysql server to do this, but do I have to? I'm not against it, I'm just looking for the easiest way to make this happen.

Also, at this point, should I do any "restructuring" to my library? I have a folder called "Movies" with subfolders named for each movie title. I also a folder for TV shows with subfolders for each show, then each season.

Thanks again, and if I have this in the wrong place, mods, please move it.
sprung Wrote:I have xbmc on a windows xp machine. I have just added 2 ATV2 to the network and will jailbreak and install xbmc on them as well.

Can I export all the metadata from the xbmc on PC the ATV2s so I don't have to scan all the content again? Is it better in this case to set up the sql server? I don't care to pause play in one room and resume in another, nor do I care if they all show different info as far as watched or not watched. All I want is a centralized location for all the thumbnails, fanart, etc. It would also be great if I didn't have to update each device when I add something new to the shared folders.

From chuckles' post, it appears I can use the mysql server to do this, but do I have to? I'm not against it, I'm just looking for the easiest way to make this happen.

OK couple of things, first I think I should point out that thumbnails and fanart aren't stored in the library, they will be cached in a Thumbnails folder. There are methods to share this thumbnail cache between XBMC instances (search for path substitution)

Secondly with any sharing of library databases between machines you need to ensure each XBMC version uses the same db version, this is especially relevant if you are you using XBMC on ATV2 as its db does not match win32 stable db version

Now onto the actually library, it sounds like mysql library will be your best option, this will allow you to use one machine to keep the library up to date and all other machines will the see the new content. Combine it with the shared Thumbnail folder and all machines will be in sync content wise. A side effect is you will also get "watched" status and any resume info across all machines but if you dont carre for that you can ignore it.

sprung Wrote:Also, at this point, should I do any "restructuring" to my library? I have a folder called "Movies" with subfolders named for each movie title. I also a folder for TV shows with subfolders for each show, then each season.

Thanks again, and if I have this in the wrong place, mods, please move it.

Sounds like you should be ok, you can check up on TV show naming conventions in the wiki to make sure the library will scrape everything ok

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TV_...onventions
I'm using pathsubstitution and mysql and things seem to be very slow when the atv is trying to load thumbs/art/etc.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? I'm wondering if a local, non SMB thumbnails cache would be a ton faster.
BDPNA:

I found that pathsubstitution for thumbs was noticeably slower as well, and switched back to local storage for that.
Connecting locally will of course be faster, but it shouldn't be significantly slower on a network connection. Are you guys on the latest nightly builds? There have been some general thumbnail loading issues in the past few builds.
Yeah Ned, I am. If it's just a caching issue in the builds, I'll hold out and hope for something better in future builds. I was hoping it was something that could get resolved as it's nice to have remote thumbs when using MySQL.
I can confirm what Ned said--slow thumbnail loading is a known issue and will (hopefully) get resolved at some point.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL vs. filesystem0