AMD Fusion APU refresh, HDMI 1.4a (3D) support
AMD just refreshed their Fusion E and C lines.

Added support for HDMI 1.4a and DDR3 1333

Improved battery life (up to 10.5-12 hrs from 6 hrs)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/22/amd-r...3-support/
Might worth to further postpone a little my purchase... Smile
Nice. Finally we will have all-in-one HTPCs as powerful as ones with add-on GPUs.

thats very very nice!

Altho i would like to see a little bit more horse power in the CPU department Tongue
It's not a major change... at least I don't think so? The original poster seems to have got it spot on, it adds function, but I don't think it adds a great deal of processing power.

The battery life maybe (a guess) equates to lower idle power consumption, as the TDP is still 18W, but the increases in the graphics and processor side of things are tiny wee improvements, not great steps forward.
Incrementall changes....but not too bad :

"The two CPU cores see a mild increase from 1.6GHz to 1.65GHz, while the 80-core Radeon HD 6320 GPU creeps up from 492MHz to 508MHz. Neither sounds too impressive, but the E-450 has a new trick up its sleeve: AMD Turbo Core. Similar to Llano, if there's available TDP the GPU cores in the E-450 can turbo up to 600MHz. In GPU bound games the E-450 can be up to 22% faster than the E-350."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4660/amd-u...d-c60-apus

Plus the support for 1333 MHz RAM and HDMI 1.4a might make the E-450 a really good bargain for HTPC purposes.
Balinus Wrote:Small changes....but not too bad either :

"The two CPU cores see a mild increase from 1.6GHz to 1.65GHz, while the 80-core Radeon HD 6320 GPU creeps up from 492MHz to 508MHz. Neither sounds too impressive, but the E-450 has a new trick up its sleeve: AMD Turbo Core. Similar to Llano, if there's available TDP the GPU cores in the E-450 can turbo up to 600MHz. In GPU bound games the E-450 can be up to 22% faster than the E-350."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4660/amd-u...d-c60-apus

Yes, the step from e350 to e450 is not that special but it's perfect for HTPC-usage. This step ensures AMD leading position (compared to ATOM) even more. Now AMD only need to switch to 28nm procede, which is a huge advantage over Intel.

Intel will need to start shipping decent ATOM's insteed of those current crippled ATOM's. They need to add at least extra GPU-power, SATA600, USB3, HDMI 1.4, directx11 and bitstreaming to be competitive to AMD. While their original plan was/is to only switch to 32nm in Q4 2011.....

Believe me, AMD will be dominant untill htpc's based on ARM chipsets will hit the market in 2012/2013. And Intel need to start a price-war to be competitive.

Things look great for media users......
yeah i guess for HTPC use its still really great compared to the anemic ATOM/iON combos,,,
do amd have exchange policy as best buy?

for sure it is not going to give me enough reason to pass the "wife" test!Laugh
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:do amd have exchange policy as best buy?

for sure it is not going to give me enough reason to pass the "wife" test!Laugh

You must have a smart wife.... XBMC on AMD is exactly the same as on Intel. Laugh
eskro Wrote:yeah i guess for HTPC use its still really great compared to the anemic ATOM/iON combos,,,

Not for us that want to stick to linux for an OS.
gabbott Wrote:Not for us that want to stick to linux for an OS.

That's old news: there is no difference anymore between AMD & Intel on Linux. For both you have to add binary drivers to get your hardware to work.
Robotica Wrote:You must have a smart wife.... XBMC on AMD is exactly the same as on Intel. Laugh
no, i'm talking about trade in e350 for the latest e450. it's not enough reason for me to pass my wife test?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:no, i'm talking about trade in e350 for the latest e450. it's not enough reason for me to pass my wife test?

aha.. your wife is right; upgrading an e-350 to e-450 makes no sense..
Reading with interest, you guys saying the latest e450, there is no issues!!

Paul

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Fusion APU refresh, HDMI 1.4a (3D) support0