AMD Fusion APU refresh, HDMI 1.4a (3D) support
paul elder Wrote:Reading with interest, you guys saying the latest e450, there is no issues!!

Paul
who know?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Robotica Wrote:That's old news: there is no difference anymore between AMD & Intel on Linux. For both you have to add binary drivers to get your hardware to work.

This can be currently done for GPU acceleration for video playback on XBMC using AMD/ATI? I didn't realize that.
gabbott Wrote:This can be currently done for GPU acceleration for video playback on XBMC using AMD/ATI? I didn't realize that.

yep..
Current situation:
Pro's ION: Better XBMC support.
Pro's AMD: better price, performance & features.

This is for Linux. For Windows, AMD is the clear winner.

Allthough, the pro for ION is a matter of time. It is waiting for XBMC to enable VAAPI in git, for the PPA's & XBMC Live to enable VAAPI so this is available for mainstream users. Nowadays, AMD is already as easy to use as Intel/Nvidia since most distro's have the newest kernel, ALSA, MESA, etc. already included.

Many users confirmed that 99% of their films work... There is one known bug related to hardware acc. and AMD (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11576 ; Solution is close thnx to Fernetmenta & Sraue). Off course, overtime there will be made enhancements to the XBMC code, just like for the other platforms.

Bottomline: There is no difference between AMD and Intel, Nvidia on Linux anymore. For all brands, you have to install closed sourced drivers in an up to date distro to enjoy hardware acc. The only discussion left, is about picture quality and I am not going to waste my time on that.
Robotica Wrote:Many users confirmed that 99% of their films work...
this is not acceptable for htpc and it is not going to pass my wife and kids test either!

i returned and sold almost 10 media players because it worked less than 100% of the time. so far my htpc's w/ windows achieved 100% rating on all movies we own! Laugh
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Robotica Wrote:yep..
Current situation:
Pro's ION: Better XBMC support.
Pro's AMD: better price, performance & features.

This is for Linux. For Windows, AMD is the clear winner.

Allthough, the pro for ION is a matter of time. It is waiting for XBMC to enable VAAPI in git, for the PPA's & XBMC Live to enable VAAPI so this is available for mainstream users. Nowadays, AMD is already as easy to use as Intel/Nvidia since most distro's have the newest kernel, ALSA, MESA, etc. already included.

Many users confirmed that 99% of their films work... There is one known bug related to hardware acc. and AMD (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11576 ; Solution is close thnx to Fernetmenta & Sraue). Off course, overtime there will be made enhancements to the XBMC code, just like for the other platforms.

Bottomline: There is no difference between AMD and Intel, Nvidia on Linux anymore. For all brands, you have to install closed sourced drivers in an up to date distro to enjoy hardware acc. The only discussion left, is about picture quality and I am not going to waste my time on that.

All my movies are mkv files but I would not be using 24p mode, does that mean that it would worl with all movies 100%??

Paul
bluray Wrote:this is not acceptable for htpc and it is not going to pass my wife and kids test either!

Then buy Nvidia. They have the most robust GPU decoding method.

question for anyone that might know, if this is just going to be used to play movies, why use an E series at all when it says the presumably cheaper C series can do 3d output? does anyone know which C series it is? I find no mention about which one or which laptops have this feature. but it seems that you could probably get a laptop for 400 or less with 3d output, thats a heck of a deal.
robl45 Wrote:question for anyone that might know, if this is just going to be used to play movies, why use an E series at all when it says the presumably cheaper C series can do 3d output? does anyone know which C series it is? I find no mention about which one or which laptops have this feature. but it seems that you could probably get a laptop for 400 or less with 3d output, thats a heck of a deal.

You can find E-350 based laptop for about the same price here in Canada.

The advantage of E-450 vs C-60 is evidently the more powerful CPU that can be handy for some tasks.
Balinus Wrote:You can find E-350 based laptop for about the same price here in Canada.

The advantage of E-450 vs C-60 is evidently the more powerful CPU that can be handy for some tasks.

my point is which C series has the 1.4 hdmi out? is it the C-60?
robl45 Wrote:my point is which C series has the 1.4 hdmi out? is it the C-60?

Apparently not : http://www.anandtech.com/show/4660/amd-u...d-c60-apus

Look at the last table...Only for the E series (so that would be E-300 and E-450).
Balinus Wrote:Apparently not : http://www.anandtech.com/show/4660/amd-u...d-c60-apus

Look at the last table...Only for the E series (so that would be E-300 and E-450).

i see, but thats not what all the media outlets were saying.
robl45 Wrote:i see, but thats not what all the media outlets were saying.

We should then wait and see the actual products when they comes out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Fusion APU refresh, HDMI 1.4a (3D) support0