NVidia and Windows 7 Advice !!
Hi guys, firstly thanks to everyone whos helped me so far with my ER1401 - the biggest impulse buy ever w/the discount of like 40%...

anyway, I've set up Windows 7. TBH, its all okay. Windows 7 out of all the OS has worst performance but the wifi works, sound works, video works... everything freaking works! Fanart loads much slower than OPENELEC to the extent its not worth it for performance issues so I've disabled it which is the major negative.

I have not tried DDS on this install but I'm SURE I did try it before and it didn't help. I might have done it wrong...

Anyway my question is about Nvidia and its drivers. I've installed windows 64bit ultimate. Its all okay so far. Windows seems to have installed some type of driver on the clean install so it works pretty well with DVXA... however i've just read this thread:

http://www.dexplor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic....&t=7761443

someone mentioned overclocking using nvidia programs, new drivers etc. Now if this will help my experience and improve it to the extent I can view fanart and a few differnt skins, I will be very happy. Can someone more informed than myself shed some light on what I'd have to install etc.?
i'll ask again, aoaaron, have you allocate 512MB of RAM to the video chipset in your BIOS options?
I did that for my first run through and saw no enhancement. This time I haven't but only because its managing quite fine. Will that 512 help with fanart?
For playing 1080P without problems its a must!!
if you had a seperate GPU card then, no need,,,
I'll get on it then. TBH we're only playing 720p though.

its the wifi which is now the issue. i think im giving up... shit htpc.
you should be good under Win7 tho,,,,
tbh win 7 everythings going good now apart from 2 issues:

1) wifi is really inconsistent, keeps connecting + disconnecting when im a distance away from the router. i have homeplugged it in for now but i'd prefer wireless.

2) remote from sleep is really unresponsive.
i started to think.. is there any point in sleeping it? shall i just shut it down at night and leave it idle during the day? I don't mind too much about power cos its a low power system i heard..
1)
issue is more hardware i believe,,,
WLAN chipset on that Nettop might be ~so so~
why not grab a USB WiFi Dongle instead?
check for --> ASUS USB-N13

2)
thats what i do,,,
i PowerON my HTPC when needed,
and i Shut it down when not needed,,,,
i admit that the SSD makes this process a breeze
since from cold boot,
it takes me ~30 secondz to see my Win7 desktop!
Openelec by default has dds enabled in advancedsettings for fanart, other installs of XBMC don't have it by default. On the box you are using, if you use fanart, I'd highly suggest you enable dds compression.
eskro Wrote:1)
issue is more hardware i believe,,,
WLAN chipset on that Nettop might be ~so so~
why not grab a USB WiFi Dongle instead?
check for --> ASUS USB-N13

2)
thats what i do,,,
i PowerON my HTPC when needed,
and i Shut it down when not needed,,,,
i admit that the SSD makes this process a breeze
since from cold boot,
it takes me ~30 secondz to see my Win7 desktop!

wow i never knew those dongles existed!! are they reliable? I think i will snap one up either for this HTPC or a future one.. or just to enable a machine easy internet access. wow! a boot for me (just timed it) took 45 seconds into XBMC. when u put it that way, a shutdowns kind of alright. I think homeplug/ethernet is probably the way for me to go anyway. playback if fantastic just now. the remote worked fine from sleep too... it sometimes does miss signals and doesnt process them even tho the receiver flashes. I think my lounge HTPC setup is complete now actually!

DDS... wow i really really want to use it but as the system is right now with the skin im using, I don't want to risk the fluidity and performance i've achieved by kind of neglecting fanart..

but then again i really want fanart deep down if i can maintain performance...
are u using win7 or linux?

Aeon MQ3 is now 47MB!!
win 7. everything just works from the sound to the graphics to the internet and its easy for me to fix and edit anything i want. and if my laptop breaks = backup machine.

aeon MQ3 is light now then if its 47MB? I am so tempted to do the DDS fanart but my problem is

1) i dont know how to see if its working
2) i dont know how to stop it if it has adverse effects
3) i dont know how to install it properly.. ive tried making the advsetting.xml and i always have the feeling its wrong.
just let that for a sec and try MQ3...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=107793
eskro Wrote:just let that for a sec and try MQ3...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=107793

remember though, MQ3 is only compatible with pre-eden builds, not Dharma.
yepp, thats why i linked to that thread!

it says clearely

The Aeon MQ 3 is an skin ONLY for XBMC Eden, you need an updated version of this site:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/
Windows version

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVidia and Windows 7 Advice !!0