Surround Sound Issues.....
Hi, looking for some advice or help, I have to say I have been seriously underwhelmed by the sound stage effects I am getting when watching films on my home theater - there maybe nothing wrong, but so far I have been dissapointed.

My Sound is a system capable of 7.1 surround sound, its the Onkyo 807- I am playing MKV blue-ray rips via my home theater PC, picture quality is excellent, no issues there, the sound is very crisp and clear, but there seems to be little or no surround sound experience.

I am feeding the audio to the amp via an optical cable, so should be no issues with this, picture is via HDMI. The amp shows most files as being DTS 5.1, when I check the properties of the file they nearly all say 6 channel audio.

Don't get me wrong the sound is good, but I am not aware of hardly anything via side or back speaker, just feels like great quality stereo.

To be honest I was more impressed with my first ever setup which was just Dolby surround with 4 speakers and a delay on the rear - loads of effects.

When I run the setup all speakers are working and levels set correctly - is this to do with the encoding of the files or limitations of my equipment or XBMC setup.

any ideas anyone??

thanks.....
Zimpker Wrote:Hi, looking for some advice or help, I have to say I have been seriously underwhelmed by the sound stage effects I am getting when watching films on my home theater - there maybe nothing wrong, but so far I have been dissapointed.

My Sound is a system capable of 7.1 surround sound, its the Onkyo 807- I am playing MKV blue-ray rips via my home theater PC, picture quality is excellent, no issues there, the sound is very crisp and clear, but there seems to be little or no surround sound experience.

I am feeding the audio to the amp via an optical cable, so should be no issues with this, picture is via HDMI. The amp shows most files as being DTS 5.1, when I check the properties of the file they nearly all say 6 channel audio.

Don't get me wrong the sound is good, but I am not aware of hardly anything via side or back speaker, just feels like great quality stereo.

To be honest I was more impressed with my first ever setup which was just Dolby surround with 4 speakers and a delay on the rear - loads of effects.

When I run the setup all speakers are working and levels set correctly - is this to do with the encoding of the files or limitations of my equipment or XBMC setup.

any ideas anyone??

thanks.....

Is there any reason why you just aren't sending the audio over the HDMI cable?

Did you go into the audio setup under settings and tell XBMC that you have 7.1 surround?

I generally do not use sound fields (or stages) on my receiver, I just set it to Auto Decode the audio.
jhusch Wrote:Is there any reason why you just aren't sending the audio over the HDMI cable?

Did you go into the audio setup under settings and tell XBMC that you have 7.1 surround?

I generally do not use sound fields (or stages) on my receiver, I just set it to Auto Decode the audio.

Hi - I think it is because the laptop I use as my home theater Pc does not send via HDMI - strage I know, but all I get over HDMI is stereo.

Yes I have set in it in XBMC to 7.1 - That said I have not found any movie rips in anything higher than 5.1 - or am I missing something?

thanks,
What laptop you using - specs please.
steelman1991 Wrote:What laptop you using - specs please.

Hi, its an acer aspire 6920g - it has HDMI output and optical output.
I have just tried changing the sound device to the HDMI, it works but it only shows a maximum of 2 channels. The driver is microsoft.

I remember trying to get this working when I first got my amp - in the end I went for the optical output as this does put out 5.1 channels.

It would be nice to get this working correctly.
Try highlighting the HDMI output in Control Panel\Sounds, from there when highlighted choose the configuration button (bottom left hand corner) from there configure and test for 5.1.
Zimpker Wrote:Hi, its an acer aspire 6920g - it has HDMI output and optical output.
I have just tried changing the sound device to the HDMI, it works but it only shows a maximum of 2 channels. The driver is microsoft.

I remember trying to get this working when I first got my amp - in the end I went for the optical output as this does put out 5.1 channels.

It would be nice to get this working correctly.
have you update to the latest nvidia control center (NVIDIA Driver Downloads) and the latest realtek audio codecs (Downloads)? you'll need to choose proper sound output in control panel and xbmc audio output.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:have you update to the latest nvidia control center (NVIDIA Driver Downloads) and the latest realtek audio codecs (Downloads)? you'll need to choose proper sound output in control panel and xbmc audio output.

Thanks for the links, I have downloaded the updated sound driver from Realtek.. The strange thing is I now have Dolby Digital 5.1, but only out of the speakers on the laptop, not via HDMI - If I select the HDMI as default playback device picture is displayed on the TV, but sound comes out of the laptop speakers.

Seem's strange to me....

If I select the optical out I can select DTS 5.1, but 7.1 is greyed out.
Hey,

I'm in a kinda similar position... Kinda Smile

I've got a 7.1 speaker config, a 7.1 capable amp, and 7.1 encoded movies... However, xbmc asks me how many speakers I have and although I have 7.1 I think I am supposed to set it to 5.1 as my 7.1 setup is using the audessy dsx front wide surround, which adds an additional wide front left and right, as this is not what a 7.1 movie is expecting (7.1 is usually back surround or front high) should i Tell xbmx I have 5.1 or 7.1 Huh

As for your issue,
Is you hdmi connected to your tv or your receiver? (should be the receiver)
Is your speaker config "in windows" set to stereo or 5.1 (it should be stereo)
Have you clicked "allow exclusive mode" in hdmi audio settings
have you told xbmc to pass through DTS and ac3
You said your AVR is 7.1 capable, but how many speakers do you actually use?

The reason I ask this is that my hdmi (and others) reports Incorrect information but I can still pass through formats it' says It doesn't support. Mine says it doesn't support DTS but it clearly does as I'm watching a DTS encoded 5.1 movie right now and it's lit up in pure direct and is playing it beautifully.

If you hdmi is connected to your tv then via optical to the AVR that will be the first thing to change...

To be fair though, many of my 5.1 movies have no effect from the rear chsnels ... Make sure your using a good sample film as an example. I use transformers etc as they are full of rear end action Wink unlike episodes of the office in 5.1 Smile

Also, on your amp try disabling DRC and other sound compressing features and run the amp in direct or pure direct mode for the best example of surround sound, sometimes adding an effect can kill/lessen the sound stage and cause problems.

I run in direct with an up mix to 7.1 (front wide surround) for certain films, and pure direct (no effects at all) for others. See if any of that helps out with your sound stage...

Also try toeing In your speakers so they cross a few feet in front of your face, some speakers don't like a tow and others do... Mine do (floor standers) this really helps to bring my stage alive and at times I think the rears are going off big time, when if fact they are silent, but the stereo sound stage is so good that it sounds like it surrounds me, then the rears kick in and all he'll breaks loose Smile

Other than that, run your auto setup again and then compare that to what your manual settings are and see how different your setup is to the MCACC OR AUDESSY setup is.

Hope some of that is of use...

Pat~

P's
Be sure to go Into windows sound settings and set the hdmi device as the default device and then configure it accordingly Wink
PatrickBateman Wrote:Hey,

I'm in a kinda similar position... Kinda Smile

I've got a 7.1 speaker config, a 7.1 capable amp, and 7.1 encoded movies... However, xbmc asks me how many speakers I have and although I have 7.1 I think I am supposed to set it to 5.1 as my 7.1 setup is using the audessy dsx front wide surround, which adds an additional wide front left and right, as this is not what a 7.1 movie is expecting (7.1 is usually back surround or front high) should i Tell xbmx I have 5.1 or 7.1 Huh
the 5.1 with 2 front wide speakers is not standard 7.1 configuration. you still can hear the surround sounds from the two front wide speakers by selecting the proper mode on your avr. i have to do the same thing with my 5.1 with 2 front height speakers, and i can hear surround sounds from the 2 front height speakers in certain scenes. with my room configuration, i like the two front height speakers than the traditional 7.1 configuration.
Thanks for all the help, it is really appreciated - I think we are now getting somewhere...

I now have the HDMI port passing audio through audio to the Onkyo - as "PatrickBateman" stated it only shows as stereo in windows, but the amp receives it as DTS.. I needed to check the box in the properties "custom" and restart.

So I am now at the stage that I was with Optical and getting 5.1 via HDMI.

I have configured XBMC as 7.1 speakers and AC3 etc, so all correct there I think.

I have checked the properties of my film rips and they show as 6 channel audio, even Avatar & Transformers...
I have got a rip of the film "Red" this I thought had a 7.1 sound track, but when I check the properties of the file in Windows it gives no information on the number of channels.

When I run the film it plays fine, but when I select "display" on the Onkyo remote it shows tha the signal being received is DTS 5.1, so clearly something is still not right.

Blueray - I notice you have links to codec packs for passing true HD, so am about to try all of that.....

I will give an update later, but making progress.... I think....

As for toeing in the speakers?? I will ask more on that later as well as the front wide setup......

thanks again...
Zimpker Wrote:Thanks for all the help, it is really appreciated - I think we are now getting somewhere...

I now have the HDMI port passing audio through audio to the Onkyo - as "PatrickBateman" stated it only shows as stereo in windows, but the amp receives it as DTS.. I needed to check the box in the properties "custom" and restart.

So I am now at the stage that I was with Optical and getting 5.1 via HDMI.

I have configured XBMC as 7.1 speakers and AC3 etc, so all correct there I think.

I have checked the properties of my film rips and they show as 6 channel audio, even Avatar & Transformers...
I have got a rip of the film "Red" this I thought had a 7.1 sound track, but when I check the properties of the file in Windows it gives no information on the number of channels.

When I run the film it plays fine, but when I select "display" on the Onkyo remote it shows tha the signal being received is DTS 5.1, so clearly something is still not right.

Blueray - I notice you have links to codec packs for passing true HD, so am about to try all of that.....

I will give an update later, but making progress.... I think....

As for toeing in the speakers?? I will ask more on that later as well as the front wide setup......

thanks again...
Where in Windows are you seeing the output as stereo?

A good free app for checking movie file properties is mediainfo - http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

I am also running an Onkyo 807 and swee none of the issues presented in your original post.
PatrickBateman Wrote:As for your issue,
Is you hdmi connected to your tv or your receiver? (should be the receiver)
Is your speaker config "in windows" set to stereo or 5.1 (it should be stereo)
Pat - curious why you would configure windows to pass stereo,, when looking for either a 5.1 or 7.1 set-up.

If I do that then that's what I get - stereo Huh, to get 5.1 I have to configure for that combination.
Zimpker Wrote:Blueray - I notice you have links to codec packs for passing true HD, so am about to try all of that.....
your htpc might be missing this package. if it need it, you can download it from here- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86). you can follow the rest of guides bellow:

1. make sure you install the latest graphic card drive or sometime known as control panel center
a. in control panel center, adjust hdtv resolution to fill in the entire screen.
b. if the control panel center have an option, go to video settings>video playback>set it to enforce smooth video playback.
2. install- High Definition Audio Codecs
3. follow these steps to setup sound in control panel- control panel hd passthrough
4. download- darma 10.1
5. launch xbmc from this folder- xbmc_hd_audio. you can simply place xbmc_hd_audio folder on the desktop for quick access.
6. configure pre-eden hd audio settings using these steps- pre-eden settings
7. do these in xbmc to properly configure video settings:
a. system>settings>video>playback (select allow hardware acceleration (dxva2), adjust display refresh rate to match video and sync playback to display)
b. system>settings>system>video output (select full screen for display model and select same resolution as adjusted in control panel center).

if you want to check your bd file to see what audio codecs are in it, you can check it with this- mediainfo and select sheet on the left column to see the entire bd info. if you left out hd audio codec when you ripped it, you can use tsmuxer to add it.
steelman1991 Wrote:Pat - curious why you would configure windows to pass stereo,, when looking for either a 5.1 or 7.1 set-up.

If I do that then that's what I get - stereo to get 5.1 I have to configure for that combination.

It' seems counter intuitive I know, however it's the way is should be... Here's why...

If you are playing any DTS OR DD source via HDMI and it's set to "pass through", then it doesn't matter how many speakers you tell windows you have... you can tell windows you have 1 million speakers, however as it won't "see" "passed through" audio (as its sent directly to the AVR and bypasses windoes completely) all it will do is ignore how many speakers you say you have as it's passing through 5.1/7.1 directly to your AVR which in turn, decodes it and sends it to how many speakers it knows you have connect to it.... Pass through is exactly that... It will pass the source untouched 5.1 or 7.1 (or whatever the source is) directly to the amp and gives the big "EFF YOU" to whatever you've set up in the windows audio properties.

If the only way for you to get 5.1 audio (from your AVR) when you play a 5.1 DTS source (via hdmi) in xbmc then you have a serious problem Eek are you sure you are passing through your audio formats correctly?

Additionally, If you tell windows that you have 5.1/7.1 speaker setup and then play a stereo (2ch) source.. Windows messes with the sound and tries to pass PCM 5.1 but this tampers with the original stereo source...

You can test this by playing a high quality stereo music file (connected via hdmi) to your AVR and setting your AVR to stereo. If you then minimise xbmc (or other media player) and change the speaker setting in windoes from 5.1 to stereo you will hear a huge improvement as the audio will be passed through as stereo (which is the original source) and there for sounds better. Windows is very poor at audio management and you don't want it touching anything if possible.

If you then do the same test with a 5.1 source (passed through) and change your speakers, you will see/hear no difference what so ever, this is because windows is not actually getting a chance to mess with the audio as it's "passed through" and windows is not aware of it's properties.

Many people make the mistake of setting the output in windows to 5.1 or 7.1 when in fact it should be set to stereo and then all available supported formats should be passed through. This way, when you play a non passed through audio format (which by that definition should only ever be 2ch mp3 etc) stereo will stay as stereo and pass to the amp cleanly, and 5.1 / 7.1 is passed raw or untouched.

If you set windows to 5.1 is means when you play a stereo (2ch) source windows will not only resample it, it will pump it through 5.1 channels... So when it eventually reaches you AVR it's in a bit of a mess... The best thing to do is set all supported formats to "pass through" and let the amp decode them.... Then set windows to stereo so that when it encounters a stereo source (which is all it will ever encounter as all other formats are passing through directly to the amp untouched) it will not tamper with it and will pass it as stereo to the amp, then the amp will/can up mix or add any effect you choose to your stereo sources (Dolby pro logic etc)

It's sounds counter Intuative I know, but once you get your head around the fact that you would never want windows up mixing or outputting your stereo music or stereo movies (2ch) to 5.1 channels as it completely messes up the original source (let your AVR do it, that's why you bought it) Big Grin

Again, as stated unless you want windows messing with your files or unless your NOT passing through DTS/DD etc then by all means set to 5.1 but as you have an expensive AVR that handles all your audio, why on earth would you want windows messing with it.

If your HTPC is set up correctly, windows will never see any other source EXCEPT stereo anyway (as your passing the other formats straight through, which bypasses windows completely) so technically, for that reason it should be set to stereo.

Many will argue, against it, many agree (see AVforums for source and reference on this subject) however the only real judge is you! If your happy up mixing and messing with your stereo sources, cool Big Grin but test it out and hear the difference. It's very clear, and makes a great deal of sense.

Another way to verify this is... In windows HDMI sound properties, there is a section called "advance" in here there is a section called "digital format" which allows you to you set the output quality... If what you were saying were infact correct, if you set this to 24bit 192,000hz your DTS OR DD files would play at that sample rate.... However they don't! No matter what you set this to, no matter what! It will (and quite rightly should) be ignored when audio such as DTS/DD ETC IS "passed through" directly to the amp.... However audio which is NOT passed through (in my case 2ch mp3) WILL be affected by these settings (as well as the speaker config settings) and there for is resampled and out put to those specifications...

Think of these windows settings as your configuration screen for all audio that is NOT passed through... Things that ARE passed through, ignore all of these settings all day long.

You'll also be surprised at how many people set that to 24bit 192,000hz thinking that resampling an MP3 up to 192,000hz improves the quality??

It's mad I know and it seems to be counter Intuative but it is indeed the correct way to do it if you are connected fro a HTPC to an AVR via HDMI and passing through all HD audio formats etc.. Nod

@bluray
Do you set xbmc to 7.1 then? Your areusing height which is technically Dolby PLIIz so technically it's a supported format and therefore constitutes 7.1 in my book... however wide front surround (mine) is an audessy DSX format and technically not a Dolby or DTS supported format so I assume, because of that I should tell my xbmx that i have 5.1 and then allow the amp and DSX to expand the 2 front channels. Otherwise, if i set it to 7.1 it will assume that I have 2 rears and 2 surround rears will it not? then again, my amp can down mix if it feels it needs to so......Huh

@zimp
If you play a 7.1 file in xbmc and set the speaker config to 7.1 it will still only pass the DTS CORE file of 5.1 as currently xbmc can't pass HD audio and I am assumin that the file you are triying to pass it a DTSHD or such like? I think with blurays recent audio branch it will pass hd audio but dharma won't do 7.1 DTSHD afaik. Mpc-HC will though Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Surround Sound Issues.....0