Surround Sound Issues.....
steelman1991 Wrote:No problem Pat, wasn't meaning to offend or flame anyone - the OP in particular - just that no-one seemed to acknowledge it and advice was still being offered on how it could be achieved.

All this audio talk is way over my head anyway - no pun intended

Good luck everyone.

Na,

The advice we were giving now (or at least from me) was to find the best way to use his 7.1 speakers with his 5.1 content... Audyessy uses 5.1 content and expands it to 7.1 by default.. thats what it does.

You dont specifically need 7.1 content (hence 9.1 and 11.1 etc) I think if he has the room in his house (and as he said he doesnt like the current surround sound set up) to try moving his sides to the front wide channel and then re config his AVR to see how that sounds.. Based on both my experience and Audyessus own advice (the people who make the actual technology that doesthe 7.1 upmix)

I know you were not being offensive Big Grin i hope i didnt come across like i thought you were Blush

Its nice in here, everyone is helping the guy and he seems to really appreciate it. I know when i get help i too truly appreciate it. The guy in the revo thread really helped me out and i really appreciated it and made sure that i let him know and im still chatting with him now and were testing and tinkering with stuff to see what we can do with out little revos Laugh
Of course not Big Grin
PatrickBateman Wrote:Na,

The advice we were giving now (or at least from me) was to find the best way to use his 7.1 speakers with his 5.1 content... Audyessy uses 5.1 content and expands it to 7.1 by default.. thats what it does.

You dont specifically need 7.1 content (hence 9.1 and 11.1 etc) I think if he has the room in his house (and as he said he doesnt like the current surround sound set up) to try moving his sides to the front wide channel and then re config his AVR to see how that sounds.. Based on both my experience and Audyessus own advice (the people who make the actual technology that doesthe 7.1 upmix)

I know you were not being offensive Big Grin i hope i didnt come across like i thought you were Blush

Its nice in here, everyone is helping the guy and he seems to really appreciate it. I know when i get help i too truly appreciate it. The guy in the revo thread really helped me out and i really appreciated it and made sure that i let him know and im still chatting with him now and were testing and tinkering with stuff to see what we can do with out little revos Laugh

All the help is appreciated guys -even if you have now motivated me to add more speaker and spend more money!

I have checked on my Amp and it will run front high and front wide in addition to the speakers I have - good news Big Grin

I currently have those terminals just sitting there - shame not to use them....

Now to the quality of the speakers - Should the wides be of the same quality and standard as the front left and right? I notice in the pic Patrick sent they were the same model.
I can get another set of Mission 77DS for front heights that would then match the rest in the room and could get another set of floor standing speakers if necessary for the wides, I am assuming these only add effect and are not on all the time.

any advise gratefully received..
yes, the front wide and height speakers are for sound effect. it is sort of 7.1, but 2 speakers are in front instead of the rear. two more standing speakers will be perfect for front wide. if you don't want too many speakers on the floor, you can mount it on the ceiling as front height instead. for me, i probably have more kids (4 to be exact) than pat, and less stuff on the floor is better for them.

i have been messing around with surround sound for a long time, and it is more interesting each time they introduces new technology to the market. it's sort of never ending story for me, but i'm enjoying it.

i'm making all speaker cables myself. if you are interesting of building it yourself, please let me know. i can sale some of my cables to you too. I used very high quality cables to build it, and it is still much cheaper than monster cable.

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Bluray - nice pic......

I think I will look out for some more speakers then, I may go for both the height and wide as there is space.

I too made my main speaker cables, not the surround ones though. Took me a long time and involved platting cat5 network cable together and then platting all the different colours in sequence to ensure all the strands were twisted. Supposed to be fantastic quality - sounds good to me, but have never done the comparison.

I think its time to build myself a dedicated itx system, that will get round all the issues I am having with sound, guess thats the limitations of using a laptop.
Zimpker Wrote:Bluray - nice pic......

I think I will look out for some more speakers then, I may go for both the height and wide as there is space.

I too made my main speaker cables, not the surround ones though. Took me a long time and involved platting cat5 network cable together and then platting all the different colours in sequence to ensure all the strands were twisted. Supposed to be fantastic quality - sounds good to me, but have never done the comparison.

I think its time to build myself a dedicated itx system, that will get round all the issues I am having with sound, guess thats the limitations of using a laptop.
i made all speaker cables and i installed surround wires before the builder install the drywall myself. i used only quality gls locking series banana plug and Canare 4S11 high quality cable. it is very thick and very flexible cable.

if you are in the market for a subwoofer, i highly recommend hsu vtf-2. it is very powerful subwoofer. this monster weight 80lb. you might want to get approval from your wife first on it though. most ladies don't like monster size subwoofer. it drive my wife crazy for a while. to make matter worst, it knocked off several of her paintings off the wall! Laugh

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Surround Sound Issues.....0