"Sync display to playback" On or OFF ?
should i have "Sync playback to display" On or OFF ? or when do i need to use it ? thanks
Depends on what you are trying to achieve.

The more useful option is 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video' which will change the refresh of your display to match the file you are trying to play (24hz, 50hz, 60hz). Ensure you have a display capable of 24p before using this one though.

'Sync display to playback' will sync the file to the refresh of your display. So basically the opposite.
HTPC specs:
Samsung 40" ES8000 3DTV, Win8 Pro 64bit, Intel Core i3 530, ATI HD5450, Antec Minuet HTPC Case, 6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333, Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3
Lister of Smeg Wrote:Depends on what you are trying to achieve.

The more useful option is 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video' which will change the refresh of your display to match the file you are trying to play (24hz, 50hz, 60hz). Ensure you have a display capable of 24p before using this one though.

'Sync display to playback' will sync the file to the refresh of your display. So basically the opposite.

thanks. i understand now. Yeah i always have them all on. which is stupid. "Adjust display to video refresh rate" and "sync playback to display" all ON. Pretty clear for me Sync playback to display should be off. thank you
those are in absolutely no way opposites, they can be used in combination with great success...
spiff Wrote:those are in absolutely no way opposites, they can be used in combination with great success...

please explain ? cause when "sync playback to display" enable, video get random jump forward. How does SYNC playback to display is the same ? no way.

my understanding is that "sync playback to display", for example if you monitor is 60hz, the video will adjust and sync to 60hz.

Adjust display refresh to video, mean that what ever the content you are playing XBMC will adjust the monitor to the video refresh rate. For example bluray is 23.976, XBMC round it off to 24p, so XBMC will adjust the monitor refresh rate to 24hz.

So i dont see how that is the same ?
sync to display is align the video to the vblank. It's useful especially if vertical sync is disabled, it's remove the tearing effect. I think that the sync to display is not good for 23.976 fps content, the missed vblank counter is increasing very fast. I noticed that something wrong with playback on xbmc (i using nighly builds). I get judders at random points. I cant get perfectly smooth playback on 23.976 hz, i tried every settings. When playing 25 fps content with 50Hz refresh, sometimes the playback is became choppy (very small jumps) at this time if i activate the osd or movie info, the playback will be normal again.
Other players are working fine.
sorry for my english
I always thought that 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video' was for Video (to match your display to the file specs) and 'Sync playback' was for Audio (keep audio in sync with the video).

No.?
where did i say it's the same. not being the opposite, does not mean they are the same..

you can adjust the refresh rate AND then sync to the display. that's what i do.
evilnsyde, not entirely precise. if you sync to display and adjust framerate by doing it, the audio have to be adjusted in some way no matter. the 'a/v sync method' just lets you choose between different ways of doing this.
spiff Wrote:where did i say it's the same. not being the opposite, does not mean they are the same..

you can adjust the refresh rate AND then sync to the display. that's what i do.
evilnsyde, not entirely precise. if you sync to display and adjust framerate by doing it, the audio have to be adjusted in some way no matter. the 'a/v sync method' just lets you choose between different ways of doing this.

so what does not being opposite mean ? LOL

Anyway back to the real question have sync to display on or off ? and if it's on what method "Audio Clock, Video Clock(resample audio) or Video Clock Drop/Dupe Audio" ?
audio clock basically means drop audio, can in worst case lead to extreme stuttery audio. video clock (resample audio) resamples the audio to keep it in sync with the video (*slight* chipmunking can occur), drop/dupe will duplicate/drop an audio chunk if needed to keep in sync.

there's no absolute answer here, it's personal preferences, as well as hw differences...
lash78 Wrote:sync to display is align the video to the vblank. It's useful especially if vertical sync is disabled, it's remove the tearing effect. I think that the sync to display is not good for 23.976 fps content, the missed vblank counter is increasing very fast. I noticed that something wrong with playback on xbmc (i using nighly builds). I get judders at random points. I cant get perfectly smooth playback on 23.976 hz, i tried every settings. When playing 25 fps content with 50Hz refresh, sometimes the playback is became choppy (very small jumps) at this time if i activate the osd or movie info, the playback will be normal again.
Other players are working fine.
sorry for my english

yeah i do get weird video jump forward randomly like you mentioned. Im going to disable the "synch playback yo display" and see if the issues go away.
spiff Wrote:audio clock basically means drop audio, can in worst case lead to extreme stuttery audio. video clock (resample audio) resamples the audio to keep it in sync with the video (*slight* chipmunking can occur), drop/dupe will duplicate/drop an audio chunk if needed to keep in sync.

there's no absolute answer here, it's personal preferences, as well as hw differences...

Actually audio clock means sync video to audio by delaying or premature rendering (sometimes dropping) of videoframes, so it can still cause stutter in the video.
Oh I see. thanks for helping people. Looking like the best way is to have"Synch playback to display" off.
Sometimes you m
need it but only if you notice tearing in video. If not leave it off best not to tamper with video if unnecessary

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Sync display to playback" On or OFF ?0