Installing XBMC
Hi, Me and my familiy are a huge fan of XBMC. Everyone in my family is using it - I have to daughters 13yrs + 4 yrs and they can use XBMC without any problems. When that is said I am wondering why it is so difficult to install XBMC on Ubuntu or at least find CORRECT information on how to install?

I have an ASRock 330 3D with Ubuntu 11.04 and I am following the guide linked to from this url: http://xbmc.org/download/

When I do this I get load of errors and result is nothing is loaded/not found/failed to download.

Here's the commands from above mentioned link:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

The first line goes fine, but the second line fails - as mentioned above.

Why is it that every time there's a new version of Ubuntu there is a problem? This is not user-friendly.
Why isn't the wiki updated with the correct information?

I have helped friends installing this and an operation that should relatively short time to do is suddenly taking hours - I have to google for solutions from other user who has the same problems and try their solutions.

Me not happy with this time consuming activities - especially when I know it can be done relatively quick.

... or maybe I am misunderstanding something?
XBMC isn't limited to one homogenous platform.

Ubuntu can have major kernel, GPU and/or audio driver changes between releases – that's just one 'nix.

Therefore, you sometimes have to do some digging. Good thing is that it's worth it. Cool
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:XBMC isn't limited to one homogenous platform.

Ubuntu can have major kernel, GPU and/or audio driver changes between releases – that's just one 'nix.

Therefore, you sometimes have to do some digging. Good thing is that it's worth it. Cool

Yeah I understand that and that is what I am doing when I need setting up & configurering the system, but we are talking about installation here. An application like XBMC should not be that difficult to set up.

In my previous post you can see that the there is problems finding the right PPA etc. Wink
I'm not seeing any listings for Natty / 11.04 in the current PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ppa

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDITION:

You could try tricking apt by changing the sources -OR- just go with 10.10. It has better kernel support for SSD's, etc than 10.04. Not sure what else 11.04 will bring to the table over 10.10.

Maverick worked well for my last build.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
right now the only ppa that will work with natty is the unstable ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Quote:Why isn't the wiki updated with the correct information?

Because no one is paid to sit there and do that, and we rely on users to contribute to it? Anyone can edit the wiki. Just register an account. (editing is now back open without having to request it.)
The guide does mention that karmic is a pre-req...(while lucid is probably a better idea at this time)

The best advice for new users is to try out xbmc-live.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing XBMC0