Cheapest HTPC possible - Holy Grail
Want ubuntu with xbmc and able to play 1080p MKV. I dont care about 7.1 or Trude-HD audio. Is this the cheapest setup possible that can do it!?

Case - $50
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6811121115

Motherboard with built in GPU - $80
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6813186212

500 GB HDD 3.5" - $50
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6822148701

2GB Memory - $15
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6820220453

Total = $195 before shipping and tax

Does this do the trick? Do all the components seem like they are compatible? Thanks!
The question would be if that APU can really do full 1080P under Linux. It looks pretty anemic.

Also "1080P" is thrown around here all the time, but there is a world of difference between playing a lossy 1080P encode downloaded off the internet and a full 1080P rip of a BD.
yes, it will work. Instead of ubuntu you could also consider openelec.
voip-ninja Wrote:The question would be if that APU can really do full 1080P under Linux. It looks pretty anemic.

Also "1080P" is thrown around here all the time, but there is a world of difference between playing a lossy 1080P encode downloaded off the internet and a full 1080P rip of a BD.

I am referring to the lossy 1080p MKV on internet.
You don't even need a hard drive if you run OpenELEC (you would need your media on a file server).

Although it's more.. The Atom/ION combo with OpenELEC is tough to beat for your needs. I'm not sure on how good OpenELEC works with the CPU/GPU combo above.
As an aside, is there any way to "test" openelec on a machine without doing a full install, like just booting it from a thumb drive?
Install OpenELEC from one thumb drive to another thumb drive, no?
Unfortunately, this will be a main media hub so will require a HDD for all the files. I also want to be able to browse internet etc. Openelec is out of the window because of this. So I should pull the trigger?
I you were running windows then I'd say go ahead. I used an e-350 and it handled every "lossy" mkv I could find. I have no experience with ATI + linux but from what I hear it can be a real pain. That's not to say that eventually you won't be able to get everything working properly but you will absolutely need h/w acceleration to playback 1080p on the e-350. Not a problem with windows - not so sure with linux. Huh

Atom/ION will definately work but will cost a little more $$$.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
i know you're trying to keep the cost down but if you're planning to playback bd iso in full 1080p video and bitstreaming dts-hd and truehd audio, i highly recommend one of these gpu $25 (MSI N430GT) or this $40 (SAPPHIRE 100322L Radeon HD 6450).
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
hasn't it been deteremined that E-350 will play back BD 1080p and bistream Hidef audio?
wsume99 Wrote:I you were running windows then I'd say go ahead. I used an e-350 and it handled every "lossy" mkv I could find. I have no experience with ATI + linux but from what I hear it can be a real pain. That's not to say that eventually you won't be able to get everything working properly but you will absolutely need h/w acceleration to playback 1080p on the e-350. Not a problem with windows - not so sure with linux. Huh

Atom/ION will definately work but will cost a little more $$$.

I guess this would be the cheapest possible ion solution? That would be $70 more which seems like quite a bit.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6813500036

I am worried about the ati/ubuntu issue... anyone dealt with this recently?
r8lee Wrote:hasn't it been deteremined that E-350 will play back BD 1080p and bistream Hidef audio?
you can give it a try with pre-eden, you'll find out what i meant. xbmc is not known for it fluently playback. when trying to make it bitstream dts-hd and truehd, it'll be that much tougher. i bet you'll look for the link of gt430 and hd6450 later!

if you are using 7mce with tmt5, it'll be much easier task and more fluent to bitstream dts-hd and truehd than pre-eden!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I'm not clear if the OP wants to bitstream or not. Either way you could consider doing the following. Get a different mITX case that has an expansion slot. Go ahead and get the e-350 MB like you were planning. If it is a problem in linux and you can't get it working to your satisfaction then you can get a low profile G210(no bitstreaming) or GT430(supports bitstreaming) if you need it. Either way it should be cheaper than an ATOM/ION.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:I'm not clear if the OP wants to bitstream or not. Either way you could consider doing the following. Get a different mITX case that has an expansion slot. Go ahead and get the e-350 MB like you were planning. If it is a problem in linux and you can't get it working to your satisfaction then you can get a low profile G210(no bitstreaming) or GT430(supports bitstreaming) if you need it. Either way it should be cheaper than an ATOM/ION.

Awesome idea! I am a noob and didnt realize it was possible to use an nvidia card on an amd cpu. Correct, I do not care about bitstreaming.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest HTPC possible - Holy Grail0