Apple TV
Greetings people.

I have an Apple TV (1st generation with Broadcom 70015) laying around (broken HDD), so I decided to give it a shot with Crystalbuntu and install it into a pen drive (Corsair Mini 4GB).

I can watch 1080p very well, but as soon as I started scanning the library (shared via SMB), the UI became very very slow.

So my question is: how will the AppleTV work with a library of ~ 1000 movies and 10000 episodes, if I had an HDD ? Because I'm not sure if the problem comes from using the pen or if it's just a hardware limitation.

If someone uses the AppleTV with a very big library then I'll go spend some money and time and try to fix the HDD problem, otherwise I won't bother to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Alex
well, even tho i dont own an AppleTV1,
i know for a fact that its got anemic hardware,,,
you should expect too much out it,,,
Yeah same here , i also have an apple tv 1st g with crystalbuntu loaded on the HDD.

I also used to stream the content

The UI was very acceptable But i have a library of 300 Tv shows plus 50 movies or so .

The dealbreaker for me was that the apple tv had some microstuttering and i guess i wanted perfection so i chose to build myself an HTPC and it is great but know i have encountered a new problem NOISE. That apple Tv made absolutely no noise at all.

So i guess you have some pros and cons like everything , my suggestion is get a new HDD and try crystalbuntu on the HDD and see how it goes from there.
Just for reference, I've switched from a pen drive to a SSD (both via USB) and it worked wonderfully!

So the problem was the pen drive, not the AppleTV hardware.

Now the UI is fast, almost as fast as my other HTPC, based on a AMD Fusion motherboard.

Best regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV0