Silverstone LC19 experiences?
Hello,

Quite some time ago my ASRock ION 330 died. Probably the mobo or onboard gpu. I finally decided to replace it, but this time with a custom build. Allowing me to replace individual parts if one breaks down.

I want my build to:
  • Run Open Elec
  • Be able to playback 3D content
  • Be silent
  • Use little power, as i might end up taking it with me in a camper

For now, this is what I have:
  • SilverStone LASCALA LC19R
  • ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 B3 Revision
  • Intel Core i3 2100 / 3.1 GHz
  • Kingston ValueRAM 2GB
  • ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3
  • Intel Solid-State Drive 320 Series 30GB

I am unsure about this build however:
  1. The silverstone LC19 has a build in PSU of 120Watt. Will this be sufficient to power the system (keeping in mind it has a seperate GPU) with possible an external USB hard drive attached?
  2. The case is also very low profile. Even when using the riser to turn the card around, will it fit?
  3. The psu and gpu are passively cooled. Will the case have enough airflow to handle it?

Any info is appreciated. Kind regards,
Stijn
well, i usually would suggest to use integrated video with 120W PSU's or Less....

you can go for the new AMD APU's example...
I have almost an identical set up with the i3-2100 and GT430.

120w power will be enough my consumption very rarely goes anywhere near that and im using Openelec as well.

My CPU never goes over 50 degree's either im using the Silverstone SG06 case.

Im very happy with the build make sure you use the latest Openelec Eden nightlies and you wont look back =D
Myth Wrote:For now, this is what I have:
  • SilverStone LASCALA LC19R
  • ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 B3 Revision
  • Intel Core i3 2100 / 3.1 GHz
  • Kingston ValueRAM 2GB
  • ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3
  • Intel Solid-State Drive 320 Series 30GB

I am unsure about this build however:
  1. The silverstone LC19 has a build in PSU of 120Watt. Will this be sufficient to power the system (keeping in mind it has a seperate GPU) with possible an external USB hard drive attached?
  2. The case is also very low profile. Even when using the riser to turn the card around, will it fit?
  3. The psu and gpu are passively cooled. Will the case have enough airflow to handle it?
just to stay with low power theme, i'm suggesting the lower power gt520 (New Asus US ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3 LP) instead. i know that 120w is probably enough for i3+gt430+usb, but getting a gt520 will be a sure bet.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
actually, be careful, that silverstone case is slim,
the GPU is put in place using a PCI RISER card...
and that GT20 has a pretty Big/Wide HeatSink here...
i know since i got the same on my GT210....
Problem is, the case has to be small as i'm planning to take it with me in a camper.
I don't really need a extra GPU however, but reading your guide (Eskro) it seems like i have little choice if I want it to be 3D ready.
FWIW the i3-2100 will play back 3D with its integrated Intel graphics.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
i've actually seen i3-2100 reports stating that it fails to do 3D
Mallet21 Wrote:FWIW the i3-2100 will play back 3D with its integrated Intel graphics.
not really, according to these tests-

AMD A8-3850 APU Review: Llano Hits the Desktop

I see that the ASUS P8H67-M series of have the integrated intel graphics. However, it doesn't specify the hdmi output type. Is it safe to assume it is 1.4? If so i'd drop the extra gpu.

EDIT: on an extra note, it won't be playing Blu-rays or 3D blu rays for that matter. Just want it to be ready for 1080p 3D playback in a true way and not use 720p SBS techniques.
EDIT2: guess i'll play safe and add the extra gpu.
dont think its a good idea to rely on the i3 for 3D playback
Myth Wrote:I see that the ASUS P8H67-M series of have the integrated intel graphics. However, it doesn't specify the hdmi output type. Is it safe to assume it is 1.4? If so i'd drop the extra gpu.
if you want to playback 3d fluently, i would stick to gt430 (for 120w psu, gt520 is a better choice) as suggested in eskro's guide.
How about AMD alternatives? Are there AMD cpu's / chipsets available that will be able to playback 3D video without needing any extra GPU?

I really doubt the case will fit and or have enough airflow to support any extra GPU's.

On a sidenote: Still looking for some decent remote control solutions. Might end up switching casing to one with build in IR receiver. Ideas?
Myth Wrote:How about AMD alternatives? Are there AMD cpu's / chipsets available that will be able to playback 3D video without needing any extra GPU?

I really doubt the case will fit and or have enough airflow to support any extra GPU's.
amd a8-3850 is the best all-in-one apu on the market, and amd hd6550d igpu in it is better than gt430. it's great for windows7+xbmc htpc. un-fortunately it might be very tough to configure with openelec.
Gonna do some research towards getting the A8 working on OpenElec first then. I'm guessing the OpenElec team is working on this? Is the A8 is currently the best all-rounder. So if it doesn't work yet it won't be that long before it does?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silverstone LC19 experiences?0