Pioneer Receiver + DTS-HD
Not sure if this is more of a XBMC Windows issue or my receiver, so sorry if this is in the incorrect form.

Currently, I cannot get my receiver to recognize DTS-HD input. The movie is encoded in lossless DTS-HD 5.1. Here are my current audio settings in XBMC:

Audio Output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 7.1
Boost volume level on downmix (enabled -- not sure what this is)
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver - Checked
DTS Capable receiver - Checked
Audio output device - DirectSound: AMD HDMI Output (Should this be WASAPI?)

What is interesting is my receiver does see 5.1 as the input. When going into the sound options in control panel, it does show that the card supports the DTS-HD codec and the box the card came in says it will do up to 9.1 sound through HDMI Tongue

So here are my questions:
Should XBMC be doing the multiplexing to 7.1 or send 5.1 to the receiver and the receiver multiplex the other two speakers?
Should I be using DirectSound or WASAPI for my "Audio output device" in the GUI settings?
How can I tell if XBMC is outputting DTS-HD to my receiver or not?

Thanks again for all of your support! Smile
bl0b
Do you know that XBMC doesn't natively support HD audio?

The easiest route to bitstream with XBMC is by using external player. You can use my XBMC external codes to bitstream your DTS-HD movie- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bl0b Wrote:Should XBMC be doing the multiplexing to 7.1 or send 5.1 to the receiver and the receiver multiplex the other two speakers?
XBMC will not matrix to 7.1 - let your receiver do it.

Quote:Should I be using DirectSound or WASAPI for my "Audio output device" in the GUI settings?
WASAPI will give you slightly better sound, at the expense of cross-fading songs and GUI sounds.

Quote:How can I tell if XBMC is outputting DTS-HD to my receiver or not?
Out-of-the-box XBMC does not support DTS-HDMA/DDTrueHD. You can use member Blurays's method to achieve this or use DSPlayer (just search forums).

Quote:Thanks again for all of your support! Smile
bl0b
You're welcome - XBMC rocks - enjoy it Wink
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
bluray Wrote:Do you know that XBMC doesn't natively support HD audio?

Why not? Kind of misleading that XBMC has the ability to select 7.1 in the list of speaker configurations Sad

bl0b
7.1 doesn't imply that the audio is HD.

It raises a different question as to why your receiver isn't seeing 7.1 channels though. Does your receiver accept or output DTS-EX? Does XBMC output DTS-EX? Does your receiver handle HD audio?

My receiver is 6.1, but it won't accept HD audio. IIRC DTS-EX carries up to 8.1 channels, but it's not HD audio.

And of course I would ask why you're expecting to get 7.1 audio out of a 5.1 encoded file anyway. I wouldn't expect that, unless the receiver is happy to do the postprocessing. Some do.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
bl0b Wrote:Why not? Kind of misleading that XBMC has the ability to select 7.1 in the list of speaker configurations Sad

bl0b
It's not misleading at all. XBMC can decode all type of audio codecs, but it doesn't support DTS-HD/TrueHD bitstreaming. If your AVR is cable of decoding DTS-HD/TrueHD, you can use my "Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup" to do the bitstreaming works for XBMC. XBMC still do all the heavy front-end works for you. You'll be very happy with the final result! Smile
Do you have to install all of the programs mentioned on this page?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=957966&postcount=1

I have very limited space and want to install the absolute bare minimum if possible. I can't see how downloads 1, 2 and 4 could be relevant to getting the DTS-HD to work. Additionally, should a link to the nightlies page of eden be used instead of link #3?

Thanks!
-bl0b
bl0b Wrote:Do you have to install all of the programs mentioned on this page?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=957966&postcount=1

I have very limited space and want to install the absolute bare minimum if possible. I can't see how downloads 1, 2 and 4 could be relevant to getting the DTS-HD to work. Additionally, should a link to the nightlies page of eden be used instead of link #3?

Thanks!
-bl0b
If you playback encrypted BD directly on BD-ROM, you'll need #1 to decrypt it. If you playback BD ISO, you'll need #2 to mount it. You need DirectX End-User Runtime for MPC-HC to work correctly. Aside from XBMC listed in #3, you can use any XBMC with this external player! Smile
Hey guys... How quickly we forget! You guys spent several hours with me tryng to resolve the DTS-HD audio issue with my Pioneer VSX-1019.. A NO GO!!!

Poster..

Check out this link for details on my problem!!

Also.. Here is my post when I asked the forum for help!

One last note... My issue is specific to XBMC preEDEN(BLU-RAY's recommended version in his post).. DTS-HD tracks play fine for me with MPC
CpTHOOK Wrote:Hey guys... How quickly we forget! You guys spent several hours with me tryng to resolve the DTS-HD audio issue with my Pioneer VSX-1019.. A NO GO!!!

Poster..

Check out this link for details on my problem!!

Also.. Here is my post when I asked the forum for help!
Now that several posters got it to bitstream fine with their Pioneer AVR, it might be other hardware and software come to play here.

CpTHOOK Wrote:One last note... My issue is specific to XBMC preEDEN(BLU-RAY's recommended version in his post).. DTS-HD tracks play fine for me with MPC
If you haven't combine MPC-HC with XBMC, you can do this- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup. It's somewhat seamless combination. You'll have the nice front-end with XBMC and the quality (in 1080P w/ DTS-HD&TrueHD) playback of MPC-HC and TMT5 in the background. Smile
Ah always getting problems getting this to work! Going to rebuild my HTPC tonight as im starting to BSOD's now! At First with DS player i could get the file to play however i could not skip at all!
Now i cant even play any type of HD content and its spoiling my setup! to which im starting to use my 3700 in my bedroom.

I have a 350m board with 4GB ram and a 500gb drive ( Not used as have 27 TB in my server)
Running through a Pioneer VSX amp

Am i fighting a losing battle here?
Kerbys Wrote:Ah always getting problems getting this to work! Going to rebuild my HTPC tonight as im starting to BSOD's now! At First with DS player i could get the file to play however i could not skip at all!
Now i cant even play any type of HD content and its spoiling my setup! to which im starting to use my 3700 in my bedroom.

I have a 350m board with 4GB ram and a 500gb drive ( Not used as have 27 TB in my server)
Running through a Pioneer VSX amp

Am i fighting a losing battle here?
I feel your pain bud! It's always very hard to playback BD in full 1080P video with DTS-HD and TrueHD audio. The easiest way to achieve fluent playback all the above with XBMC is with the external player. You can give this a try- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.
bluray Wrote:I feel your pain bud! It's always very hard to playback BD in full 1080P video with DTS-HD and TrueHD audio. The easiest way to achieve fluent playback all the above with XBMC is with the external player. You can give this a try- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.

Im going to give that a try thursday while the misses make up the jelly shots for christmas eve
Kerbys Wrote:Im going to give that a try thursday while the misses make up the jelly shots for christmas eve
Have a very Merry Xmas to you bud!
Hmm, when following the instructions for your word document in the post, http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=957966&postcount=1, when you add the External Filters to MPC-HC, none of the ffdshow filters appear in the list to select. I did install ffdshow.... have any ideas on how to get the filters to appear in the list?

Thanks!
bl0b

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pioneer Receiver + DTS-HD0