3D HTPC without 3D TV
Is it possible to enjoy 3D movies on your HTPC without a 3D TV? I have 52" LCD and htpc. Can I add anything to my HTPC to enjoy 3D? Is 3D only reserved for if you have a 3D TV?
Thanks
You would also need a TV capable of displaying 3D.
apex82 Wrote:Is it possible to enjoy 3D movies on your HTPC without a 3D TV? I have 52" LCD and htpc. Can I add anything to my HTPC to enjoy 3D? Is 3D only reserved for if you have a 3D TV?
Thanks

Google "anaglyph" term. TMT 5 and PowerDVD are able to output anaglyph picture to non-3D TVs from 3D-BDs and 2-side movies.
But you need to understand that anaglyph is the worst of all 3D technologies.
So basically a 3D tv is necessary to really get something decent.
Under Win7 I've got anaglyph working fairly well. Playback of SBS using Nvidai 3D Vision as an external player in XBMC. This plays back on a normal 57" non 3D enabled display.

Does it work, yes. Am I in awe? Well, I've never been a huge fan of 3D. The effect looks fine, colors are washed out with the red/blue technology. The kids like it...

If you want to use any old HTPC, you can look at converting SBS rips to anaglyph with avsynth (I think that's what you can use) and not need an external player.
To watch true 3d you really need a 3d TV. My TV even converts 2d to 3d and that doesn't compare to true 3d content.

Kirky99 Wrote:Under Win7 I've got anaglyph working fairly well. Playback of SBS using Nvidai 3D Vision as an external player in XBMC. This plays back on a normal 57" non 3D enabled display.

Does it work, yes. Am I in awe? Well, I've never been a huge fan of 3D. The effect looks fine, colors are washed out with the red/blue technology. The kids like it...

If you want to use any old HTPC, you can look at converting SBS rips to anaglyph with avsynth (I think that's what you can use) and not need an external player.

I have used Nvidia 3D vision in the past but couldnt find any rips that worked with it... All of the rips that I can get all say "HALF SBS" does these work with the nvidia player?
Both Stereoscopic Player for Windows and Bino for Linux and MacOS are good standalone players for converting half SBS 3d files to anaglyphs (colored lens 3D) on the fly. They both need a decent amount of GPU oomph (don't try it on your Atom system) but do a decent on the fly anaglyph 720p video image.

A couple things - no anaglyphic image is as good as the 3D available from either of the two main types of 3D TV imaging but the newer mathematic models are a ton better. Using the "optimized anaglyph" setting in Stereoscopic Player or the "duBois" method in Bino is a lot, lot better comparitively than the older anaglyphic methods. There is still a very significant ammount of color distortion, however.

Green-Magenta method, a little less than the traditional Cyan-Red. From what I read with the Amber-Blue or ColorCode system has even less but is still trading the richness of color for a 3D effect.

For me, to play around with, with cheap glasses its fun for Avatar and hand-full of titles without biting the bullet for a full blown 3D setup. People I show it too are impressed. The 3D-ness is quite good and you can adjust the parallax in both of those programs to basically eliminate ghosting and greatly reduce or eliminate headaches but the overall color palette will still be way out of whack, though not as basically black and white as you may remember older anaglyphic 3D being.

Oh and there is a real advantage to using Half SBS files and converting to anaglyph on the fly. When people make an anaglyph and then compress it using xvid or h264 compression, a lot of the compression happens in subtle color differences that make the loss of color range for anaglyphic 3D way worse. The Stereoscopic Player website explains it better than I just did. Also as I mentioned you can adjust the parallax on the fly for your sitting distance to eliminate "ghosting". And if you ever do buy a real 3D TV your library is already stocked with the types of videos you will be able to use in the future.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:To watch true 3d you really need a 3d TV. My TV even converts 2d to 3d and that doesn't compare to true 3d content.

To watch true 3D content you need a holodeck or hologram.

There is also the Nvidia shutters system.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_image

http://3dtv.at/products/Player/Index_en.aspx

http://bino3d.org/

for more information about anaglyhphic video players.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
Thanks, I will give it a shot with my stereoscopic player!
apex82 Wrote:I have used Nvidia 3D vision in the past but couldnt find any rips that worked with it... All of the rips that I can get all say "HALF SBS" does these work with the nvidia player?
Yes, I'm using half SBS rips with NVidia 3D Vision Player. Looks lik it's a lite version of Stereoscopic player, but works.

Look into launching it command line, it doesn't have the same menus as SP, and took me a bit to figure out how to get it working. But it does work...
apex82 Wrote:Is it possible to enjoy 3D movies on your HTPC without a 3D TV? I have 52" LCD and htpc. Can I add anything to my HTPC to enjoy 3D? Is 3D only reserved for if you have a 3D TV?
Thanks

well, true 3D is reserved to true 3D TV's.
these TV's have HDMI 1.4 inputs exactly for that.
but your device or video card needs to have HDMI 1.4 output too!
then, you'll enjoy true 3D playback...

so if its not the case, and your devices have HDMI 1.3,
and your video card too,
you need to reply on what i consider fake 3D or 3D side by side...

to achieve that, well, depends,
some TV's or PC monitors have such a feature,
to turn 2D into 3D, like this one here from ACER
http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/30/acers-n...magically/

or if not, some windows software like powerDVD can kinda
make a 2D movie look like a 3D movie.
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/technology...lution.jsp
TrueTheater™ 3D - Converts 2D video files and DVDs into a 3D experience.

and also u can look at NVIDIA 3D Vision software to turn 2D into 3D.
http://3dvision-blog.com/impressive-real...3d-vision/
darkscout Wrote:To watch true 3D content you need a holodeck or hologram.

There is also the Nvidia shutters system.

I was reffering to bluray 3d..

Hi,

Without sounding to much of a prat (Apologies in advance) why not have a look at 3D TV's? They are dropping heavily in price at the moment.

The LG TV that i spent nearly £1500 on for a 50" is now £400. Less than a year later at the same vendor.

What with January sales less than a week away this will more than likely fall even more.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D HTPC without 3D TV0