EDEN Beta crashes everytime :Unable to open audio mixer
Just upgraded to the latest version from the unstable ppa. However every time it starts I see the new splash screen and then am kicked back to the desktop

the last thing in the log seems to be "Unable to open audio mixer"

This has only started happening since the upgrade...

Log file here http://pastebin.com/59gEZjs0
I'm having the same issue after a fresh install on Oneiric Ocelot. Are you able to open the alsamixer from the terminal? I cannot get it to open even after re-installing and and reconfiguring alsa-utils.

-hogfan
Well, I was able to get my alsamixer working from terminal by editing my alsa.conf file following instructions in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95849

I am using a Turtle Beach USB sound card for optical audio out and have my onboard sound disabled.

However, XBMC is still bombing out when trying to load the alsa. I guess the current unstable is broken temporarily. At least I know everything else is good now.

-hogfan
I have the same problem running 64-bit Oneiric Ocelot with pulseaudio removed and a custom asoundrc.

I removed the asoundrc file and amended 'gstreamer-properties' back to auto-detect, this still made no difference with XBMC still crashing but as soon as I re-installed Pulseaudio it all works again. Not ideal but at least it runs again....

I normally update to the nightly at least weekly and the first time this has happened is with the Beta. Hope this helps someone else.
That is strange because I've never had pulseaudion on my machine at all as it is the minimal installation. (no gui)

-hogfan
Will be fixed in b2.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks for the link hogfan, fixed my clean install
Thanks for the update VDRFAN. I think this box is ready to go other than this crash issue. Smile I'll play on my apple tv 2 install for awhile and come back to this. I'm assuming there is not a workaround for the issue at this point? Thanks.

-hogfan
Hi Guys

If its helpful to anyone i was able to downgrade with the following steps:

Code:
wget https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/unstable/+files/xbmc-bin_11.0~git20111210.f1ae0b6-0ubuntu1~ppa1~lucid_amd64.deb
wget https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/unstable/+files/xbmc_11.0~git20111210.f1ae0b6-0ubuntu1~ppa1~lucid_all.deb
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-bin
sudo dpkg -i --refuse-all xbmc_11.0~git20111210.f1ae0b6-0ubuntu1~ppa1~lucid_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i --refuse-all xbmc-bin_11.0~git20111210.f1ae0b6-0ubuntu1~ppa1~lucid_amd64.deb

Thanks for the update VDR fan
I have the same issue.

Installed latest unstable ppa and after the splash screen xbmc crashes and my X-Server restarts.
it's already fixed in current nightlies Wink
neoflex Wrote:it's already fixed in current nightlies Wink

Do you know which commit on github fixes this? Thanks!
neoflex Wrote:it's already fixed in current nightlies Wink

I get this crash when pressing pause during playback. Seems to be due to a one line code change in ./xbmc/guilib/GUIAudioManager.cpp since I last pulled from git at the end of October. Untested but I am pretty sure that this patch will fix it - am just about to rebuild to test it

Code:
--- xbmc-11.0/xbmc/guilib/GUIAudioManager.orig  2011-12-29 23:05:57.237414618 +0000
+++ xbmc-11.0/xbmc/guilib/GUIAudioManager.cpp   2011-12-29 23:06:34.503296327 +0000
@@ -74,7 +74,8 @@
     Mix_CloseAudio();
     if (Mix_OpenAudio(44100, AUDIO_S16, 2, 4096))
        CLog::Log(LOGERROR, "Unable to open audio mixer");
-    Mix_Volume(0, (int)(128.f * (g_settings.m_nVolumeLevel - VOLUME_MINIMUM) / (float)(VOLUME_MAXIMUM - VOLUME_MINIMUM)));
+    else
+       Mix_Volume(0, (int)(128.f * (g_settings.m_nVolumeLevel - VOLUME_MINIMUM) / (float)(VOLUME_MAXIMUM - VOLUME_MINIMUM)));
     m_bInitialized = true;
#endif
   }
TrevorH Wrote:I get this crash when pressing pause during playback. Seems to be due to a one line code change in ./xbmc/guilib/GUIAudioManager.cpp since I last pulled from git at the end of October. Untested but I am pretty sure that this patch will fix it - am just about to rebuild to test it

Code:
--- xbmc-11.0/xbmc/guilib/GUIAudioManager.orig  2011-12-29 23:05:57.237414618 +0000
+++ xbmc-11.0/xbmc/guilib/GUIAudioManager.cpp   2011-12-29 23:06:34.503296327 +0000
@@ -74,7 +74,8 @@
     Mix_CloseAudio();
     if (Mix_OpenAudio(44100, AUDIO_S16, 2, 4096))
        CLog::Log(LOGERROR, "Unable to open audio mixer");
-    Mix_Volume(0, (int)(128.f * (g_settings.m_nVolumeLevel - VOLUME_MINIMUM) / (float)(VOLUME_MAXIMUM - VOLUME_MINIMUM)));
+    else
+       Mix_Volume(0, (int)(128.f * (g_settings.m_nVolumeLevel - VOLUME_MINIMUM) / (float)(VOLUME_MAXIMUM - VOLUME_MINIMUM)));
     m_bInitialized = true;
#endif
   }

Confirmed, that fixes the crash for me. Thanks.
Easiest fix for me was to add a nightly ppa repo for Ubuntu

add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EDEN Beta crashes everytime :Unable to open audio mixer0