Beginner Queries
Hi folk I'm new to this site and new to XBMC also as Ive just managed to stumble on to it. I have a few questions but thought I'd better explain my situation first. I currently have a SumVision Cyclone Media Player that I play movies, Tv Shows etc to my TV via HDMI and the files are stored on my network attached (UpNP) ReadyNAS DUO which has two 2 x 2TB hard drives (I have a lot of files)!! What I hate about this system is that I have no idea any data from the file I am watching apart from the file name. I happened to notice an addon to the NAS called Plex which works similar to XBMC but is based for MAC users (I think). To try and get this to work on a windows based environment I thought I would use the XBMC plug in but it seems it would be far easier just to use XBMC and so here I am!

However, I have downloaded the most recent version of software and I have added all my files from a portable hard drive I have to test this out. I'm happy to say it works a treat but I am running the software on a netbook which is fine for me to navigate around the files I have to decide what to watch but not great for actually watching these files! And so heres my problem.

How do I go about using XBMC so that I can connect directly to my TV?? I'm assuming most folk either have a desktop PC or an XBOX with portable media connected to it but I would rather have something similar to what I have i.e. a dedicated media player that looks to my network attched NAS for the media files. I'm not the most clued up on these things unfortunately so reading on here hasn't given me much in sight (yet). I've saw ideas that might be useful like apple TV but again I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Any ideas or support would be greatly appreciated

Ta much x
Most of us use XBMC running on an HTPC (or other small PC) connected directly to the TV, i.e. using the TV as the display, with the videos on a network server. You mention that your SumVision gets the films from your NAS using uPnP. You could do this with XBMC as well, but you can't use the XBMC library with uPnP sources. Your NAS can probable use Windows file sharing (SMB) to share files, and this is the easiest way for XBMC to read films from it.

JR
Or try using a apple tv unit which a lot of people are using .
THE BLUE SH*TE (EVERTON) BANG ON IF YER KNOW YER HISTORY IF ONLY THEY DID THEY WOULDNT BE TO QUICK TO BRING ATTENTION TOO IT!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beginner Queries0