Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos
(2012-04-26, 20:36)crutzi Wrote:
(2012-04-26, 08:05)Jan-Erik Wrote: 1. Sounds interesting crutzi, can you give us some details about your hardware? Looks like many of us are running Nvidia (see my signature)

2. Did you start with 64bit or 32bit Ubuntu 11.10?

1. Tested it on one ASRock ION 330 HT-BD, two ZBox ID41's and one selfmade Intel Core i5 Desktop w/ Nvidia GTX 460

2. All of them were running 11.04 and 11.10, 64bit only. Seen the same effect with all of them.

Since they have been upgraded to 12.10, not a single freeze. ZBoxes running XBMC for days now (digital signage, lots of random video/slideshow/still picture changes)

When testing on < 12.10, I've been switching Slideshows/Videos in 2-Minute intervals. Got constant freezes in less than one hour, usually in about 10-20 minutes. I assume it that the way XBMC Eden handles threads triggers an issue with the nvidea VDPAU init, but that has been fixed in Linux 3.2 kernels?

Hey HEY!

Starting to get tired of all the "killall -9 xbmc.bin", but looks like I have the system running stable now

I think a big thank you is in order to crutzi for the tip about upgrade to the developer version

Tried to run "do-release-upgrade -d" on XBMCbuntu and it broke the system with OpenGL missing, loks like XBMCbuntu is not happy to be upgraded (In the boot menu it had change name to ...3.2.0-24-generic-pae. Don't know what pae is, but can pae be the problem?
(Found this link for pae: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE )

But I selected "Previous Linux versions" in the boot menu and selected "Linux xbmc 3.2.0-24-generic"and now everything looks stable

Can anyone tell me how to move "Linux xbmc 3.2.0-24-generic from the previos version screen to the top og GRUB boot loader menu so it will automatically run at next boot?
(I'm a bit scared to remove pae)

I'm running on NVidia ION as many in this thread do
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Acer Aspire 3600, NVidia ION
Linux 3.0.0-24-generic (Now running stable without any freeze)

Messages In This Thread
I have the same issue - by funkt4life - 2012-01-19, 12:40
RE: Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos - by Jan-Erik - 2012-04-28, 22:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos3