Laggy in menus?
Hi,

Im running XBMC 10.1(with Aeon NOX skin) on Windows7 with the following hardware :

Zotac HD-ND22
4 GB ram
250 GB SATA drive(no SSD)

Menus do however lag some and actions take alot longer then im used to (had openeelec before). For example : When stoping a movie to get back to movielist it takes about 1/2 minut until I see the list?

There is no direct lag in movies but(besides at startup) byt it feels shoopy? I will see if "mach refreshrate to movie" solves this problem.

I have runned openelec before and the performance here is alot better BUT there was alot of other problems, thats why I moved on to a Windows platform.

The drivers that Nvidias homepage sugested is installed, It did however seems to be a package including drivers for only the motherboard(etherlink and so on) and not specificly for any GPU?

And Idea?
I have now installed correct GPU drivers but that did not really do that much.

By locking the framerate in windows to 24 Hz I however got alot better flow in videos so I supose that there was some kind of missmatch between video, computer and TV? I did try to activate to sync to audio but that resultet in even wors flow(this did solve alot of lagg in the openElev version).

The menus is still vary laggy and I dont get why? The thumbnail wall that I use is extremly slow, this worked great in openElec. But openElec had so much other problems like periodic lag in videos and so on.

I dont know what to do now? Should I try to sell my Zotac? Or is it fixable?
I turned on Debugger and notice that when in the movie section with thumb wall (small thumbs) I get around 5-10 fps when changin selections!?

This do show alot of lag as you may understand.

The question is if its supose to be this bad on a Zotac ND22 with Windows7? OpenElec did run alot better but then there was alot of other issues that I could not have.

Maby I need to check that my hardware is working properly but In not sure how to do that? I would probably have to get some benchmark values to compare with.
This is pretty normal for a low powered box running windows and using a heavy skin like Aeon theres two things you can do

If you haven't enabled dds fanart then that's the first thing you should do that way your GPU will render most of the artwork instead of your CPU

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...sfanart.3E

Once its enabled you need to scroll through your library but you wont see results in performance until your artwork has been encoded to dds files this can take some time keep an eye on your image cache to be sure

The second thing you can do is use "Eden Beta 2" this gives you the option of using "dirty-regions" and "no flip time out"

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...regions.3E
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:This is pretty normal for a low powered box running windows and using a heavy skin like Aeon theres two things you can do

If you haven't enabled dds fanart then that's the first thing you should do that way your GPU will render most of the artwork instead of your CPU

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...sfanart.3E

Once its enabled you need to scroll through your library but you wont see results in performance until your artwork has been encoded to dds files this can take some time keep an eye on your image cache to be sure

The second thing you can do is use "Eden Beta 2" this gives you the option of using "dirty-regions" and "no flip time out"

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...regions.3E

Thanks! I will look in to this. I have infact never used the advancedsettings.xml so this will be the first.
Menus are much quicker in Beta 2, I'd try it!
phemens Wrote:Menus are much quicker in Beta 2, I'd try it!

I am infact using Edet Beta 2. The menu was rally laggy intill I forced the 24hz on graphiccard, now the main menu works okay with Aeon NOX but the thumbnailwall is horible.

OpenElec did this ALOT better so I supose that ">>X<<" is right about Windows 7 taking alot of power and probably to much for this unit Sad

I will try the sugestions from ">>X<<" to see if that helps.

The real question is if there is somthing wrong with the hardware or this behavior is something that you would expect from this kind of harware and Windows 7 +XBMC?
I am having the same issue and havent been able to find an answer yet either.
Like you I am seeing the laggy problem on the thumbnail view of the skin (using stock confluence), and I have the problem using both Beta 1 and Beta 2.

Whats more frustrating is that I am running a new htpc with an AMD A4-3400 CPU. This replaced my single core atom based Aspire Revo.
I didnt have the issue with the Revo, but I do with the faster new HTPC!
Everything else is faster with the new build, such as viewing my photos in the pictures section of xbmc, and movies play flawless.

Im using the same remote and same IR receiver for both systems, and using Win7 now and was using WinXP with the Revo.

(BTW, I have already tried enabling dirty regions and I have dds activated and have scanned through my whole library....neither made much difference)

I will post a log at some point but I've been being stubborn that I would figure it out myself.....actually I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with this issue.
dtviewer Wrote:I am having the same issue and havent been able to find an answer yet either.
Like you I am seeing the laggy problem on the thumbnail view of the skin (using stock confluence), and I have the problem using both Beta 1 and Beta 2.

Whats more frustrating is that I am running a new htpc with an AMD A4-3400 CPU. This replaced my single core atom based Aspire Revo.
I didnt have the issue with the Revo, but I do with the faster new HTPC!
Everything else is faster with the new build, such as viewing my photos in the pictures section of xbmc, and movies play flawless.

Im using the same remote and same IR receiver for both systems, and using Win7 now and was using WinXP with the Revo.

(BTW, I have already tried enabling dirty regions and I have dds activated and have scanned through my whole library....neither made much difference)

I will post a log at some point but I've been being stubborn that I would figure it out myself.....actually I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with this issue.

Hmm maby we need WindowsXP to get this to run properly?
snowjim Wrote:Hmm maby we need WindowsXP to get this to run properly?

I dont think so.
Many are running Windows 7 on these forums without the issue.

Looks like the easiest way to get an answer will be to post a debug log.
I probably wont be near my HTPC until Sunday so if there isnt one posted before then I will do so.
dtviewer Wrote:I dont think so.
Many are running Windows 7 on these forums without the issue.

Looks like the easiest way to get an answer will be to post a debug log.
I probably wont be near my HTPC until Sunday so if there isnt one posted before then I will do so.

How could a debug log fix this? Will the debug log really state the time it takes for diffrent actions?
snowjim Wrote:How could a debug log fix this? Will the debug log really state the time it takes for diffrent actions?

It should.
I would bet if you re-boot system, start xbmc, enable debug logging, navigate to menu and scroll through the laggy video section and then paste the debug log here someone would be able to pinpoint the issue.
With both XBMC 10 and the 11 betas, I had low FPS performance in the menus when the system option "Use fullscreen window" was checked. Switching to true fullscreen all menus and animations scrolled smoothly.
Perhaps something to try. I'm not sure what the advantages of using a fullscreen window over actual fullscreen are and why that is the default.

System specs for reference:
Intel E2160
4gb ram
Geforce 8400GS
Win7 x64
plastrd Wrote:With both XBMC 10 and the 11 betas, I had low FPS performance in the menus when the system option "Use fullscreen window" was checked. Switching to true fullscreen all menus and animations scrolled smoothly.
Perhaps something to try. I'm not sure what the advantages of using a fullscreen window over actual fullscreen are and why that is the default.

Intel E2160
4gb ram
Geforce 8400GS
Win7 x64

Excellent observation and something I should have tried but havent.

Will give that a shot when I get a chance.
Thanks
plastrd Wrote:With both XBMC 10 and the 11 betas, I had low FPS performance in the menus when the system option "Use fullscreen window" was checked. Switching to true fullscreen all menus and animations scrolled smoothly.

Intel E2160
4gb ram
Geforce 8400GS
Win7 x64

Thanks!

I tested this and it makes BIG diffrence, the main menu is vary smooth now and runs in 60fps. But when entering movies with the thumbnail wall the fps drops to 24fps and when moving around a bit over 10 fps. It seemse like its diffrent graphic handler for the mian menu and the thumb wall?

Is this a problem with the stabel version as well(not Eden)? Maby I should downgrade?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Laggy in menus?0