Linux: Setting Up a Separate Frontend and Backend
Hi, sorry for a bit of a stupid question, but I've had conflicting information regarding my best setup options.

I've got MythTV setup and working fine on a headless Linux server and access it using the MythTV frontend on my laptop - this all works fine. Also on this server are other video and music files that I want to be able to access, currently I'm accessing this via a network share, but this obviously isn't the best solution. Someone suggested I use XBMC as well as MythTV on my server as this would serve up my additional media, however threads like this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111200 seem to imply otherwise. Should/can I set up XBMC as a backend to run on my headless server, or should I be using it on my client and then somehow configuring MythTV to serve up the other files? Either way, are there any good guides on doing this (esp configuring XBMC from the command line, if appropriate)

Thanks - MH
I believe what that someone meant is you should use an Xbmc client to interface with your MythTV server.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
Mad-Halfling Wrote:Hi, sorry for a bit of a stupid question, but I've had conflicting information regarding my best setup options.

I've got MythTV setup and working fine on a headless Linux server and access it using the MythTV frontend on my laptop - this all works fine. Also on this server are other video and music files that I want to be able to access, currently I'm accessing this via a network share, but this obviously isn't the best solution. Someone suggested I use XBMC as well as MythTV on my server as this would serve up my additional media, however threads like this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111200 seem to imply otherwise. Should/can I set up XBMC as a backend to run on my headless server, or should I be using it on my client and then somehow configuring MythTV to serve up the other files? Either way, are there any good guides on doing this (esp configuring XBMC from the command line, if appropriate)

Thanks - MH

There is no xbmc server. xbmc is a client. You can use xbmc as a client for mythtv, but it involves getting your hands dirty.

you need this branch:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110694

you'll need to:

1) be able to clone tsp's git repo to your frontend machine

2) install all necessary libraries/build tools as per the readme in the source tree

3) compile and install

Then the only config needed is to put your mythtv ip address/username/etc into the mythtv addons settings page and you're good to go. Will allow you to watch/schedule/delete recordings from the main xbmc menu. I use it exclusively instead of mythfrontend now.

However, this is a cutting edge branch not even integrated with the cutting edge pvr main branch. If the thought of that (or of cloning git-repos or compiling your own builds) sounds like too much, then you're either better off waiting until there are builds released, or look at something like the mythbox addon (which I used to use with vanilla xbmc and works very well too!)

Jim
Instructions: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythTV

Instructions might be a bit out of date, but it's a start. At least you know what to look for now Wink.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
Thanks, I'll have a look at those links. I know it's not really related to this forum, but any tips on configuring the MythTV backend to act as a more generic media server (I figure there might be a few pointers that could save me time, as people have done this before)? Though I suspect I might need something extra, like mediatomb to better achieve this.
Cheers MH

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux: Setting Up a Separate Frontend and Backend0