How big will the databases get? Should I get an SSD?
Hi!

I am wondering how big these files get, so please share your details regarding how many files (music/video) you have and how large your databases have become.

In my setup, the content will not be on the machine hosting XBMC. So the content is not the issue, but rather any local database/user data and if this information does not get particularly large, then I would expect XBMC to keep them in memory and render an SSD unnecessary.

However, if the databases do in fact grow large and the implementation is based mainly around disk operations, then the SSD might be an absolute necessity for a snappy response.
Star 
Mine is pretty big... but it's a big library with 5G of thumbnail cache. With ram being one of the cheaper components in my desktop, I ran a 6G IMdisk and threw in my Thumbs... did a path sub, and was quite happy to see how snappy it was. So an SSD might not be quite... ram: it should be nice, if you throw on the O/S etc... look forward 4X the whiplash.

batch file...
imdisk -a -s 6000M -m R: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"
-------------------------------------------------

advancedsettings in user
-------------------------------------------------
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\</from>
<to>R:/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
The computer will only have 2 GiB RAM and in fact 4 is the maximum it supports.. so yes a RAM-disk might make sense.. but it depends on how large everything will get.

But where did you get 5 GiB of Thumbnails? Is this downloaded by XBMC? I am adding all my media to a test-installation of XBMC currently... and the user data folder has so far grown to 90 MiB... and it is almost complete. How do I make the thumbnails grow?
I've got a very large library (2300 movies!) and my xbmc folder is only 3GB... Highly recommend a SSD!
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How big will the databases get? Should I get an SSD?0