slow database performance
Overall, I find XBMC's database performance to be poor. My library has 5295 Artists, 2710 Albums, and 41,249 Songs. I can't even click on the "Songs" library item, it will lock up my system. If I queue all songs in Top 100 > Top 100 albums, same thing. There is a definite pause when I click on "Artists" in my library. In database terms, this is still a very small database. I work with multiple database with tables that consist of millions of rows and the performance is decent even with modest hardware. I'm running XBMC on an ION, an Acer Revo 3610. Obviously it's not the quickest system in the world but a dual core 1.66 Ghz system like this should be able to handle a database of this size? Is there a specific reason the performance is like this? Can the queries, tables, indexes be improved?
I've just tested with a database of around 2,000 albums and 22,000 songs, and if I go into Music then Songs the list displays in under three seconds. I would try exporting your music library then deleting (or moving in case you need it back) the library file and import again. That should give you a nice new shiny library.

If this doesn't make any difference you'll need to fire up a performance monitor to see what's bottlenecking on your system.

JR
Thank you! I rescanned my library from scratch and "Songs" now works. It's a little shaky scrolling through it but that's to be expected with 40,000+ items.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
slow database performance0