[LIVE]XBMCubuntu freezes on start
XBMCbuntu Beta 3, Live USB (created with Unetbootin) and hard drive install.

XBMC freezes immediatley after showing the main screen with the auditorium background, with the menu saying 'weather pictures video music programs'.
If it has an internet connection, the RSS scroller manages to show just 'xbm' from the first feed before freezing.

How can I help diagnose and see what the cause is? It's happening on a Dell 4700c, P4 HT.

Testing my other systems now.
Testing Results:
Dell 4700c - Freezes at XBMC home screen, can't determine the cause. Going to look at /var/log/messages when I can and see if I can find anything.

HP TC4400 - Works wonderfully

Dell GX620 w/ graphics card - everything runs S-L-O-W-L-Y. Even the RSS scroller runs about 2fps Undecided Guessing graphics drivers might be the case here, but I'm looking into it.

If anyone can help me with the 4700c though I'd appreciate it!
lol...We need to know what GPU is in the box that doesn't work, it looks like you don't really understand the bare basics, you need a recent (1 year) low end nvidia card, or a mainstream older (2-3 years) nvidia card for trouble free beginner friendly setup although Radeon cards are beginning to be somewhat trouble free for normal basic operation.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then best do a LOT of research before posting and expecting a bog standard no name "computer" to just boot normally. Smile
The first dell has an Intel 915G express built in, completely useless for any kind of hardware acceleration. You will be stuck with SD non h264 material. The audio hardware in there is some no name software AC97 affair. To be honest, boxes like that aren't best suited to running XBMC in any capacity, it's like starting with a turd, and trying to turn it into a flower.
Fair enough... though I'm going to test a theory on the 4700c :p More on that later.

In the mean time... the GX620 has a Radeon x600. That's the one that's showing at about 2fps.
Ok so here is some intersting updates.
I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on the 4700c and XBMC was working beautifully. No noticable lag on the interface, everything was smooth... until I rebooted. Now XBMC crashes on start.

Whhhaaa?

Edit:
After a sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, and a reboot... XBMC works again o.O
Going to try watching a DVD movie now.

Maybe the LiveCD needs to be based on the latest available packages?

Edit: Again, XBMC ran for some time... I was in changing settings, and then it crashed. Rebooted and xbmc works fine. Still running so far.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE]XBMCubuntu freezes on start0