Launches to Fluxbox?
Hi Guys,

My xbmc live machine launches into Fluxbox. On startup I am faced with a login screen, enter my username and password, then I have GUI desktop.

Right click, applications, viewers, xbmc -> this launches my xbmc-live

Anyone know how I can stop fluxbox auto launching, and instead auto launch xbmc live?
It did not started to this by itself, correct? You have installed something that brought in a display manager. It is that easy to help you when you do not explain what you have done.

Anyway, if you drop to command line and do
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
that will re-install xbmc-live and remove the DM (most likely)
Thanks for listening vikjon0

I followed you advice and it certainly seemed to run through a whole host of things, however it now starts up to a command line rather than the gui

When I run startx from the command line I am taken back into the gui, rather than xmbc

I have worked out that my startx is launching Fluxbox rather than XBMCLive, what I don't know is how I get it to do the latter by default
Have a read through this post... Ive posted links to where I got my info from in the post.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid834775

One thing I do differently since then is launch into xbmc and not fluxbox

xbmc@blaster:~$ cat ~/.xinitrc
exec ck-launch-session xbmc

With this setup my htpc boots straight into xbmc with no login/password and if I exit xbmc/it crashes it just restarts into xbmc again.
Quote:When I run startx from the command line I am taken back into the gui, rather than xmbc
This is normal....could it be that the grub was messed up as well? It should have been fixed by the re-install but I have no other suggestions.
If you check the kernel lines in grub.cfg...do you have a lot of xbmc stuff in there or not?
(2012-03-17, 08:46)vikjon0 Wrote:
Quote:When I run startx from the command line I am taken back into the gui, rather than xmbc
This is normal....could it be that the grub was messed up as well? It should have been fixed by the re-install but I have no other suggestions.
If you check the kernel lines in grub.cfg...do you have a lot of xbmc stuff in there or not?

Below is my grub.cfg
It seems to have the xbmc=autostart option. It also has steve=autostart (I set my XBMC user name as steve) - I wonder if this causes any issues.
Code:
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then
  set saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then
    saved_entry=${chosen}
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}

function recordfail {
  set recordfail=1
  if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=800x600
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod vbe
  if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
    # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
    # understand terminal_output
    terminal gfxterm
  fi
fi
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en
insmod gettext
if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
  set timeout=-1
else
  set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-38-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=800x600
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-38-generic root=UUID=60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07 ro   quiet splash steve=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 video=vesafb xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-38-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-38-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=800x600
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    echo    'Loading Linux 2.6.32-38-generic ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-38-generic root=UUID=60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07 ro single
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-38-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-29-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=800x600
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-29-generic root=UUID=60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07 ro   quiet splash steve=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 video=vesafb xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-29-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-29-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=800x600
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    echo    'Loading Linux 2.6.32-29-generic ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-29-generic root=UUID=60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07 ro single
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-29-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
if [ ${timeout} != -1 ]; then
  if keystatus; then
    if keystatus --shift; then
      set timeout=-1
    else
      set timeout=0
    fi
  else
    if sleep --interruptible 3 ; then
      set timeout=0
    fi
  fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

teeedubb I had a look at your post and created a xinitrc file which i did not previously have, but that didn't help, still loading to command line, from there startx takes me to fluxbox.
yes, that looks strange but I have never used any other user name than xbmc so I do not know how it would look.
You can try to change that but to honest I would advice you to re-install to save you grief.

What about your ~/.bash_profile file? Thats what launches x, and the xinit should file launch xbmc.
my ~/.bash_profile file
Code:
if [[ ! $DISPLAY && ! -e /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 ]] && (( EUID )); then
  exec startx
fi

Anything strange in there?

I think I may rebuild the whole thing as vikjon0 suggests, just worried I might lose the media files I have on the machine, as I prefer having the install on the hdd rather than via usb
Strange... from my understanding that should launch x... I know that on my system I dont have any of the user=autostart entries in grub.cfg, its pretty much stock standard. Are these files in your /home/steve/ directory, as thats the username you use for xbmc? Maybe try removing the xbmc=autostart entry and see hopw that goes...
No joy. Thanks guys, but looks like I'm biting the bullet and going for a reinstall!

My worries:
- I have media saved locally on my hdd, hope I don't lose them
- I had fun setting my remote control up, hope that's not painful
- Major trauma setting up transmission to download to the hdd

Journey of discovery again I think!!
Backup your existing install so that you can use your old config files, or reinstall xbmc onto a new partition. I have a 15gig system/xbmc partition with the rest for roms, this keeps everything separate and prevents the hdd from filling up which linux doesnt like very much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launches to Fluxbox?0