XBMCbuntu no video playback
New to XBMC and having problems with video playback...

I'm running XBMCbuntu (Eden) on a AMD fusion box....Once build was complete, I had everything appeared to be running good, however, I poked around and changed settings somewhere and now I cannot get any video to play (YouTube, .mkv, .mp4, etc) When the video tries to run a small "x" appears in the middle of the screen and then the screen goes to "XBMC Media Center Logo" then back to the main menu. No error is displayed...Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.
It sounds as if XBMC is crashing. You could try deleting the userdata folder to reset everything to the default - see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Userdata for details.

JR
Hey.
I have got the exact same issue here just that I did not change anything since the last video playback. Turned it of and next day it doesnt work anymore. Any suggestions whart to do about it? I am not a noob and really stuck here. Thanx.
Hey!
I found a solution. Seems like the crashing got something to do with the asound system and mixed up settings. Here is what I did:
1. A fresh install (might be another solution but nothing worked for me)
2. Deinstalled the xbmc audiomixer (Settings-->Addons-->Programaddons)
3. Exit XBMC and launch into xbmcbuntu (when going back to xbmc you need to log-off and log into xbmc again)
4. Open a terminal and type in: aplay -l (lowercase L)

You should get an output something like this:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0, ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevices #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In this string of info you care about the information in quotes:
card "1": NVidia [HDA NVidia], device "3": HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

This is what we are going to use when we manually map the information inside XBMC.

Depending on what device you will use to playback sound there might be different combinations. So remember the card number and the device number you want to use.
For more info see post 4 in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127428

5. log-off xbmcbuntu and go back to xbmc.

6. Go to Settings -> System -> Audio Output

Audio output = choose yourself
Speaker Configuration = choose yourself
Boost Level on Downmix = yes
AC3 Capable = choose yourself
DTS Capable = choose yourself

Since we found out the information earlier on aplay -l and found the card and the device you can now do this:
Audio Ouput Device = Custom
custom audio device = PLUGHW:X,Y (Where X is the card and Y is the device)
Passthrough output device = custom
Custom passthrough device = PLUGHW:X,Y (Where X is the card and Y is the device)

Restart XBMC
Now everyhing shoud be working!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu no video playback1