XBMCbuntu VS Ubuntu + XBMC?
Quick question -

Is there any reason to install XBMCbuntu over installing Ubuntu, followed by XBMC linux?

Thanks!
Little bump - still for an answer to this please!
No, unless you want it automatically setup in a, for most people, good way.
Need desktop functionality? You're better off with Ubuntu 11.10 + XBMC Eden. This will require a little extra setup to install the software sources for proprietary video drivers.

Want more of an HTPC appliance that boots straight into XBMC? XBMCbuntu.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
XBMCbuntu still has a desktop behind it, well a windows manager anyway. for me a true HTPC appliance wouldnt need to load all that extra weight. for me a htpc appliance like experience
is a minimal ubuntu installation with xbmc installed. can always use a control+alt+f1 etc
to get to terminal to do any maintences or ssh into it, and that can be done from a rooted
tablet or smat phone or other pc.
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

I went with Ubuntu 11.10 + XBMC (Eden) because I needed a full desktop behind it. My MediaCenter is managing a more then just XBMC.

It's wireless and needed special wireless drivers
It's also the gateway for my DirecTV DVR (I'm using the DVR connected to the PC's LAN Port.
The box itself houses my 6TB Array, which SMB Is managing to share out locally.
The Array is also backing up our Pictures/Important files automatically (scripted) to a remote location with a friend who is also backing up his Pictures/Files to my Array. This is done for redundancy and it's remote storage.
The RAID Array also needed it's own drivers installed
I have Hamachi Installed on Ubuntu allowing me to access my media anywhere in the world ( Travel a lot ) My connection is fat enough to direct stream BluRay quality movies.
Ubuntu also manages my Personal MFP (Multi Function Printer) it handles all the spooling etc.
The sound card appeared to work in Ubuntu + XBMC, but with XBMCUbuntu I was unable to get it to run PassThru Audio to DTS/Dolby direct to Receiver.

With XBMXUbuntu I could probably "Command Prompt" install all the above, but I'd still have to install quite a lot of extras.

The way I looked at it was this.
Important Files Backup is required (We lost 3 months of our kids baby photos - Never again)
The Media Center is something the huge backup array is able to run, the extra's are there because of the Media Center.
It is a stand-alone system, can be installed anywhere and can function, but the amount of extra software related to the media center along with the required drivers demands I make all the hardware and non-xbmc related items work first, then XBMC can work seamlessly. This required Ubuntu installed first, then XBMC as an App running at start-up.

Edit:- I did a minimal desktop install though - and went form there. For some reason though the XBMC Interface was slower than the full desktop install. I ended up doing a full install, then removing the garbage I didn't want. Than I cleaned up the system after removing orphan files etc.. I kind of liked that over the minimal install even if it did require a lot more work. I don't know why and I never bothered looking into why the minimal install made XBMC slower though.
I see it as XBMCbuntu has a minimal desktop and any application you would think of using in desktop apart from the internet will need to be installed, its cut down to nothing.

Ubuntu has lots of apps pre installed to make it easy to use but add bloat.

I use XBMCbuntu as I ssh in to do things via command prompt. If you want to use a desktop thats easy to use and has everything you want the Ubuntu and then XBMC is the way. But I do like the way XBMCbuntu auto logging in to xbmc I used to have XBMC open at start up on my ubuntu and it had to load all the desktop and other apps first and just got in the way in the background while XBMC was running.
I am running xubuntu 12.04 and XBMC eden and it runs great for me, i am using an AMD fusion chipset.
I tried the XBMCbuntu 12.00, but I am affected by this bug: (GRUB2 waits for enter key during boot)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...bug/797544

I am not sure if this can be fixed by XBMC team, or if using Ubuntu minimal, or Debian would fix this.
I’ve bought all my components (just waiting on delivery of the RAM) so I’m pretty much ready to start my build for my HTPC, but I’m still not sure what OS to go with.

Firstly, here are my (relevant) components:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

As a complete noob with pc building and Linux (a double whammy) I’m not sure whether to go with XBMCbuntu or Ubuntu and just install XBMC.

I’m going to want to install SABNzbd, Sickbeard, Coachpotato and HTPC Manager on it, but I’m not sure if it would be easier for a complete novice to set that up on Ubuntu or on the minimal install behind XBMCbuntu.

Would the “bloat” of Ubuntu slow me down (with my specs considered), is it a waste of RAM to run a 32-bit OS?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mick
Mick, try OpenElec 3.1 that was released today. It's all you need.
As a relative Linux noob like yourself (made the plunge last year), I would probably go for Lubuntu/Xubuntu plus XBMC. They are less resource hungry than a standard Ubuntu install and take very little getting used to for anyone familiar with Xp. Also much gentler intro to the world of Linux than trying to ssh into an openelec box straight away.

Having said that, if you only plan to use the box as a standalone HTPC with a library and a few xbmc.org addons, then OpenElec is great.
Thanks both for your help. Still awaiting the delivery of my RAM so I've still got time to research and decide.

Will let you know what i ended up doing and what my experience with it was.

Up the Dubs! Smile
(2013-06-24, 11:26)Mickadoozer Wrote: Up the Dubs! Smile

Since I am sitting beside a Kildare man, I'll have to take that under advisement for the momentSmile
(2013-06-22, 12:38)Frank-NL Wrote: Mick, try OpenElec 3.1 that was released today. It's all you need.
You mean the one that the openelec people say not to use unless you are willing to test?

3.0.6 would be a safer bet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu VS Ubuntu + XBMC?0