Have to plug and Unplug HDMI Like a madman to get it up on TV, Why?
HTPC ENGT430 -> Yamaha RX-V567 Receiver -> Samsung PN51D7000

My receiver has red 'HDMI' indicator when something is connected, my TV doesn't let you change Source until it senses something is connected to it.

This issue occurs if I connect direct to TV or through Receiver.

When I unplug and plug in the HDMI port sometimes I get the HDMI Indicator on my receiver to flicker for a second as it seems it sees the connection then rejects it?

If I do it like a madman after 5-7 tries it eventually connects and a picture shows up on the TV, this occurs when connected to directly to the TV or through the receiver.

I followed the guide to get a log of the TV EDID reponse and added one of the accepted resolutions to the xorg.conf file, do I need to custom add ALL of the accepted resolutions, is this the problem or is it something else? Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix it?
It's not the EDID info, it's the royal cluster that is the HDMI handshake. An HDMI connection won't work unless both ends recognize that there's something on the other end. Some combinations work better than others. With my setup, HTPC (Intel H67 IGP) -> Pioneer AVR -> LG TV, if I don't first turn on the receiver, then switch inputs on the TV (once the receiver is fully powered on), then turn on my HTPC, the setup doesn't work. I end up with no picture on the TV if I deviate from this sequence at all. Basically the TV has to recognize the HDMI input that the receiver is on in order for me to switch to that input, and then the receiver has to recognize the HTPC and pass along the video signal to the TV once that part of the handshake is done. It really sucks.
I had a similar problem with a Philips DVD recorder connected via HDMI directly to the TV. Had to unplug/plug in the HDMI cable many times to get the TV to recognise the Philips DVDR. In the end I replaced the cable and all was good. The old cable works fine between my XBMC PC (NVIDIA card) and the TV - go figure!

A quality HDMI cable may fix your problem.
Yeah i resurrected an old thread, and i did so because im at my annual annoyance of this HDMI handshake bs. I too have a special SOP when turning on my htpc. TV first, onkyo receiver 2nd and then HTPC once everything else is up. If i do HTPC first i get no tv output and the only solution is to completely restart the pc.

Dont get me wrong i love HDMI, but why an HTPC setup can't handshake like other devices so the start up order can be random is why i get annoyed. Any other hardware device except windows pcs can be on or off and connect just fine via HDMI. You would think by now MS would have added some sort of video logic into the video drivers so that it can see the tv and retry the handshake instead of just sitting there like a dead log.
I had a set up where it didn't like a particular cable. Tried another worked fine.
What length is the cable, a shorter ones worked better for me.?
(2016-06-15, 01:34)dixons Wrote: I had a set up where it didn't like a particular cable. Tried another worked fine.
What length is the cable, a shorter ones worked better for me.?

Ditto.

My 4k Samsung works excellent on certified high speed cables at 6' or 10' in length. Anything above a 10' cable - however - and it doesn't work well at all.

Most of the time HDMI handshakes just work, but certain rare combinations of devices just refuse to work, and some of them just refuse to work with long or poor cables.
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Have to plug and Unplug HDMI Like a madman to get it up on TV, Why?0