ati hdmi audio problems
Hi all,

Not sure if this a hardware or general window question?!

I'm looking for help on getting audio via hdmi working 100%.

It works fine as long as my avr is on and the correct input selected on it before turning on the pc.
If I change input on the avr or turn the tv on/off, change input or turn the pj on/off (dual hdmi out on the avr) then I lose audio.

I've tried setting the monitor using the EDID trick but this didn't help..

For now I've gone back to using optical for audio.

I'm willing to purchase a cheap nvidia 210 card or such like if this will definately work..

My setup:

Windows 7
XBMC Eden
Sapphire radeon 6450
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H v1.0

Pioneer VSX-2020

Have installed latest ati and realtek drivers..

Here's hoping!
I have AMD HD6450, and it works fine with my Onkyo AVR. Have you try to update your MOBO and AVR firmware?

1. Download- VSX-2020-K
2. Download- GA-MA785GM-US2H
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-05-15, 16:40)bluray Wrote: I have AMD HD6450, and it works fine with my Onkyo AVR. Have you try to update your MOBO and AVR firmware?

1. Download- VSX-2020-K
2. Download- GA-MA785GM-US2H

+1
Thanks, I have the latest bios for my motherboard..

There haven't been any firmware releases for the amp?

I'm surprised it all works for you (turning amp on/off, changing input, turning tv on/off while keeping pc on) as it seems a well known problem with the ati cards?
(2012-05-16, 12:55)Thebluevoice Wrote: Thanks, I have the latest bios for my motherboard..

There haven't been any firmware releases for the amp?

I'm surprised it all works for you (turning amp on/off, changing input, turning tv on/off while keeping pc on) as it seems a well known problem with the ati cards?
Maybe, due to my Onkyo being a network AVR.......I can switches to COX, Kinect, Move, etc and switch back to HTPC without loosing sound......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I have exactly the same Problem.
HTPC A6-3500
Desktop HD 6850
Denon 1612

When I first boot my HTPC and turn the AVR on I get it works but when I switch the input or turn it off and on again the HDMI sound in Windows says no connected on both PCs.
Thebluevoice pointed me here since I made a topic about this exact problem aswell. Hope somebody points us in the right direction. :/
Anyone tried to use Linux?

Going to try everything I can tomorrow.
Well I tried a Nvidia based card (GT520) and had the same problems.

Interestingly, I bought a ssd and so did another windows 7 install, this time not installing all of the latest ati stuff, but just the driver..
This now seems to work a bit better and allows me to switch on/off change input around 60% of the time without probs..
The sound cuts out for about 6 secs when i turn the tv on/off then resumes if it works.
I've disabled the ati services though it working 60% with them enabled.
Haven't tried the EDID overide yet..

The pioneer vsx-2020 is a net enabled avr.

Think I'm going to try linux too as i'm sure its drivers deciding to halt the audio when detecting hdmi changes...
Yea I thought its something with the windows ATI driver the latest one installs so much crap.
Waiting for a download to finish and then I am going to install openelec and xbmcbuntu if that doesnt work better Win7 again but only with ATI driver and no other stuff.
I got XBMCbuntu working (not everything right now but XBMC Sound) and it works perfectly with my AVR.
I can switch toi DVD or anything and change back without problems or turn off the AVR and turn it back on.
Standby Audio passthrough not working but that could be something with my AVR settings.
I am just pissed right now...

Back at Win7 formated my ssd about 10times this weekend...

Right now I think I got it working with Catalyst 11.12 (or the latest 11 driver) just install only Videodriver, Audiodriver and Control Center and it should work.

This was a problem with older Catalyst drivers and was fixed a long time ago but it looks like its back in the 12.X driver.

I didnt try every 12 driver because I just dont care maybe someone wants to try it and report back which is the latest working one.
TeKo Catalyst 12.4 is the latest but they are having some issues with it. At the screen it won't show as 12.4 it will show as what ever you had before...

12.3 is the most current stable version at the moment.

They are working at 12.5.....

Sorry to dig stuff up, but there still isn't a real solution to this?
I have the exact same issue

AMD E-350 on an MSI E3501A-E45 Motherboard
ATI 6450 1 gig silent
Denon 1610 Receiver

I have to reboot my HTPC every time I want to use it otherwise I don't get any sound.
XBMC specs: MINIX U9-H LibreELEC 4K all day

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

UNraid Server – Pentium G3258 – MSI - H81M-P33 – Antec HCG-400M PS - 8Gb RAM

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ati hdmi audio problems3