questions from a newbie about htpc!!
I am what you would consider a complete novice when it comes to HTPC's (no experience whatsoever). I am currently building a dedicated theater and was going to incorporate a stand alone bluray player to play my titles (what normal used to be, lol). The idea of having movies on a server and not having to get up every time I want to watch something was recently brought to my attention. I would like to know if there is any loss in quality using a htpc as opposed to a bluray player? Also, would there be any reason I would still need to purchase a bluray player if i decided on a htpc? My usage would be primarily for watching bluray's (90%) and music (10%). I have been reading on these forums a lot and you guys have been a great help! However, I am still not confident in my skills for customizing, let alone, building a htpc from scratch. Are there any reputable builders that can piece one together for me? Sorry for all the questions but this is just the beginning. lol. Thanks in advance for all the help!
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
Try not to be too intimidated about building your own system. It really is not as hard as it looks.
See here for my build with pictures.

Also, if you know someone who's good with computers,..they would probably love to help you out by building it for you.
You buy parts, they build it. I'd build one for a friend.
Thanks for the link eskro, I have researching tirelessly in that thread. Gort, I will definitely follow your build as I plan on building something extremely similar should I continue down this path. How does an HTPC stack up next to a bluray player? Is video/audio quality the same? Do you guys still have bluray players in your setups in tandem with the HTPC?
(2012-05-24, 18:38)azula Wrote: Thanks for the link eskro, I have researching tirelessly in that thread. Gort, I will definitely follow your build as I plan on building something extremely similar should I continue down this path. How does an HTPC stack up next to a bluray player? Is video/audio quality the same? Do you guys still have bluray players in your setups in tandem with the HTPC?
I have 3 HTPC's in the house, and all of them can playback blu-ray disc and blu-ray files (mostly ISO). I never build HTPC without BD-ROM, because my kids enjoy pop in RedBox/Netflix blu-ray disc in it. It can playback blu-ray in full 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio. The video quality is comparable to the standalone blu-ray player and PS3......

The build below should work.....you should be able to transcode, video editing, playback blu-ray, etc with ease......

Case/PSU: MI-008 Tower Black ($52.84)
CPU+iGPU: Intel Core I3-2105 Processor ($134.99)
MOBO: ASRock H67M-ITX/HT Socket 1155/ Intel H67/ SATA3&USB3.0 ($109.99)
SSD: Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s ($79.99)
RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX LoVo 4 GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) ($38.74)
BD-ROM: Pioneer Internal BD Writer (BDR-207DBK) ($75.95)
Case Fan: SilenX EFX-12-15 Effizio Silent 120mm Case Fan ($9.99)

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
^thanks so much bluray
the ASRock H67M-ITX/HT has many bad reviews.
and many had bios bugs.

i'd go for this one http://goo.gl/V0I3m
Thanks eskro, I am researching your writeup as well as watching tons of videos on youtube. My main concern is quality loss using the HTPC as opposed to a bluray player.
If your gonna be playing bluray disks on the HTPC there's no loss, now that we got the obvious out of the way let's get down to the Nitty Gritty. If your planning on ripping, encoding, or downloading your bluray content, that's another ball game. Hard drives are very expensive right now and If you want to archive the best encodes, or back up your own disc's....it's gonna get expensive real quick! Your gonna be filling up those 1,2 Terabyte drives fast. I learned that the best way to add more storage was to use the delete key, sounds stupid but I started going through my library and asked my self " do I really need all these damn movies" so I archive what the family is gonna watch over and over, everything else I delete and make room for new content.
Only quality loss will come from transcoding the ripped blu-ray, if you use the full size blu-ray rip there is no loss of quality. You can pretty safely transcode most blu-rays to 1/3 their original size without much noticeable loss of quality. I'm sure there are probably better settings than what I'm using but that's been my experience. I just wish it didn't take so damn long to transcode a blu-ray!!!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Thanks for the replies, that was my main concern. I was initially set on buying an Oppo 93 bluray player but then I found out the capabilities of a HTPC. Mick, what program do you use to transcode your blurays?
I use Handbrake
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-05-25, 12:45)azula Wrote: Thanks for the replies, that was my main concern. I was initially set on buying an Oppo 93 bluray player but then I found out the capabilities of a HTPC. Mick, what program do you use to transcode your blurays?
If you're concerning about video quality, you have to stick to 1:1 rips (the best files are ISO & MKV).......when you transcode the original file to something else, you'll always loose some quality along the way......

HandBrake- is a good blu-ray converter, but it is among the slowest

DVDFab- is probably the most friendly converter and very fast too

AnyDVD HD- is the best for ripping blu-ray disc to ISO or blu-ray folder

MakeMKV- is the best for ripping blu-ray to MKV (1:1)

Thanks bluray, and in order for me to use MakeMKV, I would need a bluray writer not just a reader correct?
(2012-05-25, 23:49)azula Wrote: Thanks bluray, and in order for me to use MakeMKV, I would need a bluray writer not just a reader correct?
No, you don't need a blu-ray writer to rip it to MKV file.....if you want to burn it, then you need a BD-RE drive......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
questions from a newbie about htpc!!2